Bungie's Destiny Learned From Halo's Mistakes

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Mr.K. said:
Well that is an awful lot of faffing about but I can't help but notice 90% of what he said has no impact on the game and the other 10% were vague to the point of irrelevance.

If I had to call it now I'd say this will be a very confused and dull game, concentrating on shit that doesn't matter and the rest missing.
Indeed. In his own words:

"Master Chief was a pivotal character in Halo lore, but players themselves were never asked to make decisions more complex than weapon loadouts - another thing Staten wants to improve on. "Pulling a history into the world was extremely important," he says, "something you felt you were fighting for, the civilization that was once yours that's fallen, that's trying to recover. But it also goes to player choice, too, and not just choices you'd get in a Halo game, the moment to moment of how I'm going to take apart this encounter, what's my combat toolset?" Destiny brings a radically different set of questions to the table, as well as tactical choices. "What kind of character do I want to be in the world? Do I want to be a man or do I want to be a woman? That's a choice we never gave someone in the Halo series.""

I can't help but laugh. I mean, this guy is really trying to sell a game by giving us the option of choosing gender and race as if it's a novelty. Not only that but this game is a FPS as far as i know, meaning game style might change from race to race, but there's no real impact. Am I taking crazy pills or is he really basically trying to sell the idea to gamers that changing character skin and background is "giving the player a meaningful choice"?
I was looking forward to this game, but what I saw lately seems... lazy...

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
""Way more characters than we had in the Halo games,""

Ohhh! Because in math "More = Better" is the first and most fundamental law!
Wait... I think that's more likely to be More =! Better.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
I'm used to general internet negativity, but the responses I've seen on this website are bizarre. I understand skepticism, but rarely have I seen a game coming from a developer with a pretty good track-record receive virtually nothing but scorn.

It's possible to keep realistic expectations without assuming the worst.

greyfox115

Mar 27, 2013
I have faith in them........... and hope its just not stomped on a million times over after launch.

Mar 26, 2008
Cognimancer said:
"In the same way we're making your heroic story, your legend, that carries over into the cinematics," says design director Joe Staten. "So if you're playing in a co-op way, we're not going to do that crappy thing that happened in the old Halo games where, if you're playing co-op, you don't show up ... you're not the primary role." This should serve as a relief to all the Player Twos who get booted off-screen whenever it's time for important things to happen.
I could have sworn that in the original Halo when you were playing co-op on that level that you fly in on a Pelican that when I looked across there was the second player's Master Chief staring at me. It was kind of surreal but I think they were still there.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Cognimancer said:
"In the same way we're making your heroic story, your legend, that carries over into the cinematics," says design director Joe Staten. "So if you're playing in a co-op way, we're not going to do that crappy thing that happened in the old Halo games where, if you're playing co-op, you don't show up ... you're not the primary role." This should serve as a relief to all the Player Twos who get booted off-screen whenever it's time for important things to happen.
I could have sworn that in the original Halo when you were playing co-op on that level that you fly in on a Pelican that when I looked across there was the second player's Master Chief staring at me. It was kind of surreal but I think they were still there.
Those were ingame though, I mean all cutscenes in Halo are typically ingame but only cutscenes you saw the co-op player was the ones where you could move your head.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Orange12345 said:
what's my combat toolset?" Destiny brings a radically different set of questions to the table, as well as tactical choices. "What kind of character do I want to be in the world? Do I want to be a man or do I want to be a woman? That's a choice we never gave someone in the Halo series."
What the hell is that supposed to mean? different classes will play differently? well excuse me while I go scrape my brain off the roof from being shocked by this revolution in gaming
It sounds to me, at least, what I really hope it means, is that Destiny is going to be a bit like BRINK in terms of potential and gameplay innovation.

...One can dream, right?

Edit: I should probably justify this a bit. In BRINK, each player weight class had widely different maneuverability and health, and each specialization class served its own role. Yes, many other FPS games do this too, but the way BRINK tried to do it was pretty freaking unique. It's just too bad that it sucked, hard.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
I'm gonna be that old asshole who says he just wants a game with a story as good as the Marathon trilogy dag nabbit. Come on Bungie! I know you've still got it in ya!

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
erttheking said:
I appreciate what they're doing, but I get the feeling I'm in the extreme minority. On this website anyway.
I really want to be excited about this. I know Staten and Jones can do something great. However, if this is going to be an MMOFPS for consoles, I feel that any immersion they are trying to put in is going to be instantly ripped away by random players bunny hopping in the cities or around story hubs.

Guess We'll just have to see. Also, what other people are saying is true, the less answers they give to direct questions the more gamers grow suspicious. Its just things are now, and in the burgeoning genre of MMO/social multiplayer I believe its justified.

Kael Arawn

Mar 4, 2012
AgentNein said:
I'm gonna be that old asshole who says he just wants a game with a story as good as the Marathon trilogy dag nabbit. Come on Bungie! I know you've still got it in ya!
I agree marathon was awesome and i miss it, but lets look at the facts the games being made by BUNGIE (Marathon and halo) and sounds like a cross between a FPS and mass effect and if its even a 10th as good as the MOUNTAIN of prehype they have released for it so far then it will be a very good game.

Also i am so BUTT HURT BEYOND BELIEF if its not going to be on pc and they haven't official confirmed if it is or isn't yet so hopefully my butt is safe for now.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
So they're not going to make it as slow, bland and boring as the first games were? The gameplay was so relaxed I found myself falling asleep. That's no joke or exaggeration. I fell asleep several times during Halo 2.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Kind of sounds like Halo meets Mass Effect. Probably more the former, than the latter.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
I would love to see an improvement on the story telling. Playing Halo on PC years ago made me feel like I was playing Spyro or something else aimed at kids. Someone constantly telling me what is happening and what I need to do instead of letting me figure it out myself. I want Valve level story telling in my adult games.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
I don't know - Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the original Halo trilogy, but the entirety of their hype generations is "This isn't going to be Halo" Yeah, thanks, we got the subtle hint once you quit that project after Reach came out. The co-op focus I frankly couldn't really care for, and a lot of their big ideas sound like window dressing they're going to half-arsedly steal from other games who did it better. From what I saw of the Halo games, Cortana's character was essentially a mother character, keeping you up to track with what was going on + fixing shit you couldn't deal with via shooting it, and... Keys' daughter who wound up been a damsel in distress more than anything else? To say nothing of the Russian Stereotype in Reach... Let's just say Red Vs. Blue did a better job of creating a solid, believable female character in the Halo universe than Bungie managed. I don't even care that they don't care about a PC version, I just am not going to believe the cryptic and completely generic hype of a developer who thinks it's the gaming equivalent of Leonardo Da Vinci right now.