"But it gets them reading."

LockHeart

Apr 9, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
So are you a professional joy-crusher, or is it just natural talent on your part?
It's a bit of both, and I'm busting chops today, apologies.

Jirlond

Jul 9, 2009
In my opinion it is the moajority that is willing to buy these terrible books which marketers are thinking wow people love this crap and spurn it out anyway. Some people have no imagination outside their own little world so the books they read must reflect the boringness or the fantasy world of their favourite idiot celebrity who can't write their own name.

There will always be good and bad books as long as the masses are willing to spend their money on drivel!

LockHeart

Apr 9, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
LockHeart said:
It's a bit of both, and I'm busting chops today, apologies.
Yeah, whatever, Dr. Jan Itor.

So hey, I got a new business card for you.
"Dr. LockHeart: Professional Wet Blanket."

Think of all the chicks you can pick up with this!

Pay me now, thank me later.
I'll take 10,000. Do you do bulk?

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
Azhrarn-101 said:
They may start of reading "Twillight", sparkly vampires and all, but can very well end up reading "Interview with a Vampire" or "Dracula" because of their interest in the subject matter. And those last 2 don't really qualify as garbage now do they? :)
I disagree. The people who are forty and reading Twilight or Harry Potter are unlikely to be moving upward any time soon. the only ones whom I've known to be good readers and read those books were already well read by the time they got to those books.
Think about it- we have books in chatspeak [http://laurenmyracle.com/ttyl.html]. this is not a sign of people moving on to harder ideas, but trying to have ideas dropped down to the easiest level.

Secondly. Interview with a Vampire is just sex candy. It is really, really well written sex candy, but Anne Rice's wordsmithing skill does not make up for the fairly horrible content. Admittedly, I would suggest Anne Rice to vampire aficionados, but not because it was good. It was par, which is something I'm beginning to notice is incredibly high indeed.

LockHeart

Apr 9, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
I'm the only card dealer in town that does.

In the dangerous, exciting world of business card making, who you gonna call?
Not me, the police are tracing this line.
Jesus.
Quite. Maybe this isn't a safe investment...

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
In the case of shitty light fiction there's a huge industry because, simply put, it's easier to read. It doesn't take the same effort as working through say, War and Piece, or the acquired snobbery of reading and enjoying Joyce. In some ways people need to be introduced to better light fiction which can toy with a mind yet be flicked through on first go. Pratchett's good for this. Every time you read his books you get another layer of revelation. Brian Jacques was a favourite childhood author of mine because his anthropomorphic novels had undercurrents which interested me while still being a joy to read.

None the less you can't force people to enjoy complex novels such as Brave New World (for all I think everyone should read it at least once). Enjoying reading is a gift as much as it is a pleasure, just as enjoying playing an instrument is, and enjoying the ability to critically analyse.

So I guess what I'm saying is you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it think.

fudgebo

Jun 8, 2009
Trash sells and frankly it should sell, most people read to escape, for recreation, you cant read some piece of literary criticism for fun. they are terribly boring. Chick lits, fantasy, fiction..they all sell because they are entertaining, you never here of Edward Said or Theodor Adorno on the 100 books you must read list and why? because theyre boring drivel by some jumped up intellectual trying to convince us not to like jane austen because her works encourage slavery and impearialism. I'm not saying you shouldn't expand your mind its just don't expect others to join you, free time is rare these days and people should be able to spend it however they want, even if it is reading popular trash.

fudgebo

Jun 8, 2009
Totaly agree with you on that.EDIT PRESSED THE WRONG BUTTON meant to quote you labrynth

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
Labyrinth said:
In the case of shitty light fiction there's a huge industry because, simply put, it's easier to read. It doesn't take the same effort as working through say, War and Piece, or the acquired snobbery of reading and enjoying Joyce. In some ways people need to be introduced to better light fiction which can toy with a mind yet be flicked through on first go. Pratchett's good for this. Every time you read his books you get another layer of revelation. Brian Jacques was a favourite childhood author of mine because his anthropomorphic novels had undercurrents which interested me while still being a joy to read.

None the less you can't force people to enjoy complex novels such as Brave New World (for all I think everyone should read it at least once). Enjoying reading is a gift as much as it is a pleasure, just as enjoying playing an instrument is, and enjoying the ability to critically analyse.

So I guess what I'm saying is you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it think.
Right, and I have nothing against simple novels. Simplicity, on its own, does not result in a bad book. But bad books are almost exclusively simple with a few exceptions [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dianetics:_The_Modern_Science_of_Mental_Health]. As I said in the original post, not every book needs be hard to read, or force the reader to reconsider their whole world outlook, but it should do something interesting. Like take fairies and set them up in Modern Manhattan.

Off topic, Brian Jacques was one of my favorite authors as a youngin' too, and I may be forced to steal that analogy in the future. You're not going to copyright it, are you?

LockHeart

Apr 9, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
In the gritty (but totally exciting and sexy) world of business cards, few things are safe.
...I feel dirty.
Like a used car salesman.
*shudder*

This investment is definitely not for me...

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
ninjablu said:
Off topic, Brian Jacques was one of my favorite authors as a youngin' too, and I may be forced to steal that analogy in the future. You're not going to copyright it, are you?
If I had any suspicion that I was the first to say it, the thought still wouldn't cross my mind. I imagine many people far better spoken than I have used it in the past. Just can't think of any off the top of my head.

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
Labyrinth said:
ninjablu said:
If I had any suspicion that I was the first to say it, the thought still wouldn't cross my mind. I imagine many people far better spoken than I have used it in the past. Just can't think of any off the top of my head.
good point.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
The problem with that is, it only gets them reading shit.

Reading isn't like smoking crack - you don't move on to harder drugs later on, unless you're six, in which case, it's kind of expected.

But if you're past that and still reading shit, you're probably going to keep doing so.
Although if they never read they'll never get onto "harder" books later on. Also what makes a book "shit" is somewhat subjective. Although I'll agree something like Dante's inferno or of mice and men has more to say then "confessions of a shopaholic"

Cahlee

Aug 21, 2008
I think there's two type of readers, good readers and bad readers. Those who read literature and those who read trash. Good readers will always look down on bad readers. At least I will. I'm a reading elitist.

I dont believe in 'at least they're reading'. I think Twilight certainly has done more bad then good.

ShadowStar42

Sep 26, 2008
notsosavagemessiah said:
True, but the general idea is that most people these days consider reading to be "gay" (for lack of a better adjective)
I'm sorry, but seriously, for lack of a better adjective? Stupid, nerdy, geeky, for losers, boring, useless, dumb, lame...damn and those are just off the top of my head. You see, people who read, even when they're reading bad books, develop a better vocabulary and don't have to insult a percentage of the population for lack of a better adjective.

Would I rather a kid read Animal Farm or Cider House Rules than Twilight or Harry Potter? Sure. But I would also rather they read Twilight than simply not read at all.