"...but we're just friends"

BinaryCrystal

Jan 26, 2010
It's happened to me, not often. I'm too shy to go chasing girls, as well as my wavering self-confidence that doesn't help.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
GiantRaven said:
Gah I hate this general attitude! It implies that it is impossible for people of two different genders to just be goddamn friends.

I had an incredibly good friend in college who was female. She thought my being single sucked and even went out of her way to try and find someone for me (this failed hilariously). She also wasn't the slightest bit interested in having a relationship with me just as I was not interested in pursuing one with her.

Why is this strange? Where is the logic in suggesting that if a girl thinks you would make someone a good boyfriend it should be her?

edit: Also there appears to be the implication that only girls will 'friendzone' someone. Does that mean guys will go out with anyone that shows the slightest bit of interest in them?
It has some scary implications. If you are that upset that a friend won't date you, are you saying that you are only friends with them on the off chance that they will have sex with you?
And I have to post this video every time this thread comes up:

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
It could be that she is just not interested in you romantically and is trying not to make things awkward or hurt your feelings.

Also, I find the whole 'Girls are only attracted to assholes, nice guys finish last' outlook to be somewhat amusing as well as confusing. Yes, there are some girls who will just go for the guy who is an outright jerk even though it's not smart to do so and they will only get burned in the end. Yet, people just seem to forget the other end of the spectrum. The really nice guy who is whiny, annoying, clingy, pitiful and possesses no spine whatsoever. I just have to wonder what that is.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Oh god how the Internet has been complaining about the friend zone the past months...

Move on! That's the only advice I can give you.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
GiantRaven said:
Gah I hate this general attitude! It implies that it is impossible for people of two different genders to just be goddamn friends.

I had an incredibly good friend in college who was female. She thought my being single sucked and even went out of her way to try and find someone for me (this failed hilariously). She also wasn't the slightest bit interested in having a relationship with me just as I was not interested in pursuing one with her.

Why is this strange? Where is the logic in suggesting that if a girl thinks you would make someone a good boyfriend it should be her?

edit: Also there appears to be the implication that only girls will 'friendzone' someone. Does that mean guys will go out with anyone that shows the slightest bit of interest in them?
It has some scary implications. If you are that upset that a friend won't date you, are you saying that you are only friends with them on the off chance that they will have sex with you?
And I have to post this video every time this thread comes up:
Why!? Why thread necromancy? T__T (Though I suppose such a topic being revived would give me people to rant at)

But you're right about that, it is pretty creepy.

Edit: Also must resist urge to quote people who won't appreciate being quoted after an entire year...
*Looks at date*
Dammit! I saw January 26th and the year never registered. I apologize for necroing the thread.

GistoftheFist

Jan 6, 2012
Now my question is, has anyone here ever encountered this reply when asking out someone of the same gender? You'd think if you are a male and ask out another guy, you'd have a better understanding of his mentality since you're a guy too. What's the advice then?

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
WOPR said:
...Just wondering

Being a site of nerds (I mean that in a good way) I'm wondering if any of you have had this situation

Being the cuddly, shy, kindhearted souls we are (well some of us are *cough*)

Why is it that EVERY girl I have ever talked to... goes like this...

"I like you, you're nice, funny, kind, and anyone would be very lucky to have you"
(quickly followed up by)
"...but we're JUST friends, okay?"
(2/3 of the time)
"You're like a brother to me..."

...soo am I the only one that wonders "well if all that is true why doesn't anyone try to give me a chance instead of pulling the 'friend' card every time?"

sorry starting to rant

In Short: Has anyone else had this situation?

(and yeah it ticks me off that after all that stuff they say they go out with a total dick saying "I can change him, he's nice deep down")

EDIT: Crap... did this become a "Hot Thread" while I was asleep? because I had 12 quotes here when I woke up... *grumbles*
This happened to me long long ago. The best way I found around it ... was start asking all your "sisters" for advice on women around them. They'll either develop a serious case of jealousy or set ya up. Either way you win.