Button Conditioning Fail Moments

AVeryClassyCat

Feb 24, 2013
Games have evolved to have a very standard set of controls for what you do in them, and at least for PC most of them are rather predictable: WASD to move, E to use, M1 to shoot, etc. However, getting too comfortable with one game or games' control scheme can make one little change quite a big deal. This can, at least for me, produce some rather frustrating and/or hilarious moments.

For instance, several months ago I began playing a lot of Minecraft with friends. Adapting to some of the different button conventions was easy, and for the most part I don't really have much of a problem with that overall in games (and usually remap anything too odd). One day, we all jumped over into playing Left 4 Dead out of boredom...but I was still in the Minecraft mode of thinking. For most of the game, nothing really spectacular happened...until a Tank showed up in one of the hallways in the Dead Air campaign and one of my companions shut a door in my face in the process of us all trying to GTFO. Panicking, I completely forgot how to open a door in the game and began melee attacking it instead (right click, of course, being how to open a door in Minecraft)...ending with me being brutally owned by said Tank. Much laughter was had at my expense for that one. Even now that I know to be aware of those things, if I jump into that game from either Minecraft or a FPS with the option to ADS, I'll melee when trying to open a door or when attempting to aim and feel like a total idiot.

So, is it just me...or has something like this happened to any of you?

Do tell!

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
I use a razer orbweaver

So no, not anymore. I make sure to customize controls based on what I'm playing to how i'm used to playing.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Well after playing so much TF2 before I started playing League of Legends I had to absolutely move everything around. I use 1234 instead of QWER, Q is Smite/Ignite and W is Flash, E is health potions and ¬ is wards (the button next to 1)

Usually it's QWER for abilities, I think AD for Summoners and 123456 for items. Yup fucked that one up good :3

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
There's the odd occasion in Dead Space 2 where I'll accidentally use a stasis pack when I meant to open my inventory (because the button that automatically uses stasis packs in DS2 used to open the inventory in DS1), but that's about it as far as I can remember. I'm usually pretty good about settling into the control scheme of whatever game I happen to be playing without any problems.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
In Mass Effect 1 the spacebar opens the abilities menu and shift make you sprint.

In Mass Effect 2 the spacebar makes you sprint and shift open the abilities menu.

This has never, ever, ever caused me to engage in hilarious, fumbling stupidity.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Zhukov said:
In Mass Effect 1 the spacebar opens the abilities menu and shift sprints.

In Mass Effect 2 the spacebar sprints and shift open the abilities menu.

This has never, ever, ever caused me to engage in hilarious, fumbling stupidity.

I never ever paused the game 10,000 times trying to jump in ME1 either.

Nope.

Not even once.

-_-

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
The one that always gets me is toggle-crouch versus hold-crouch and y/n to jump-crouching. Playing Far Cry 3 now, I keep on jumping up and forgetting to go back into a crouch. What's even worse is any game that has separate stealth and crouch modes. That just takes it several steps beyond the limits of my brainpower.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Call of Duty, Gears of War and Halo. And damn grenades. I have blown myself up far too many times because of the moving grenade buttons. If I move from Gears to CoD and try to reload, Bam, grenade to the face. If I go from CoD to Halo and try to iron sight, another grenade to the face. Though the worrying thing is when it actually works to my advantage.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
That happens to me when I play the modern warfare games and then immediately swap to Halo. It wrecks my brain trying to readjust.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
AVeryClassyCat said:
Do tell!
Yes. Yes it does.

First off, any game by Monolith Soft. For some reason, they always reverse the X and O buttons on a standard PlayStation Controller.

X to cancel, O to select.

This ALMOST made sense back on the PSX before the buttons were standardized (X is cancel and O is select in Japan, the exact opposite of the USA). However, by the PS2 era, all JRPGs were being standardized to USA controls when released in the USA (they were still using Japanese controls in Japan, obviously). This was true for pretty much all JRPGs - except those released by Monolith Soft.

And now that I'm playing Xenoblade on the Wii, once again the standard controls are flipped.

So, if I go to play ANY other game, or if I go on Hulu to watch some TV, I end up selecting when I meant to cancel, and canceling when I mean to select. It is very annoying.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
I use a razer orbweaver

So no, not anymore. I make sure to customize controls based on what I'm playing to how i'm used to playing.
I would ask how you use all buttons but my friend uses all the razer naga's buttons so I think I am getting too casual with my 5 buttons
O.T. not really a buttons conditioning fail but mechanic fail going from mass effect 3 where you can grab kill from cover to deus ex human revolution thought I could do the same ended up getting killed by him cause he came around with a shotgun...more games need a grab kill system especially if the guy can punch through walls and snap a guy's neck

AVeryClassyCat

Feb 24, 2013
Bara_no_Hime said:
AVeryClassyCat said:
Do tell!
Yes. Yes it does.

First off, any game by Monolith Soft. For some reason, they always reverse the X and O buttons on a standard PlayStation Controller.

X to cancel, O to select.

This ALMOST made sense back on the PSX before the buttons were standardized (X is cancel and O is select in Japan, the exact opposite of the USA). However, by the PS2 era, all JRPGs were being standardized to USA controls when released in the USA (they were still using Japanese controls in Japan, obviously). This was true for pretty much all JRPGs - except those released by Monolith Soft.

And now that I'm playing Xenoblade on the Wii, once again the standard controls are flipped.

So, if I go to play ANY other game, or if I go on Hulu to watch some TV, I end up selecting when I meant to cancel, and canceling when I mean to select. It is very annoying.
I almost forgot about those button switches! I remember switching RPG games when I was younger and having constant problems with this. Frustration nostalgia is a bittersweet thing.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
William Dickbringer said:
ResonanceSD said:
I use a razer orbweaver

I would ask how you use all buttons but my friend uses all the razer naga's buttons so I think I am getting too casual with my 5 buttons
O.T. not really a buttons conditioning fail but mechanic fail going from mass effect 3 where you can grab kill from cover to deus ex human revolution thought I could do the same ended up getting killed by him cause he came around with a shotgun...more games need a grab kill system especially if the guy can punch through walls and snap a guy's neck

I don't use all of them in every game, but for a lot I map a few commands.

I've also got a Logi G600 which I use for a few games.

V3KT0R

Oct 28, 2009
When I played Assassin's Creed games for so long, I got acclimatized to the Sprint Claw (R1 + X)(RT + A)(Space + MB2)
This led to some awful things happening in other games. I can't quite remember exactly what but yeah.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
Zantos said:
Call of Duty, Gears of War and Halo. And damn grenades. I have blown myself up far too many times because of the moving grenade buttons. If I move from Gears to CoD and try to reload, Bam, grenade to the face. If I go from CoD to Halo and try to iron sight, another grenade to the face. Though the worrying thing is when it actually works to my advantage.
I've done similar things like I was playing Battlefield for a while and RB is melee on the xbox and then I was playing COD and went up to someone to stab them, only to throw a grenade and make them aware of me which got me killed :/

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Ha! After bingeing on Skyrim I jumped into BF3's Armoured Kill the day after it was released. I found myself trying to pick the flowers for potions...

Also the ME1/2 thing, and Deus Ex: HR's weird control scheme threw me for loop after playing that exclusively for a while. Mind you I am quickly adapting to an Xbox controller after Win8 stopped recognising Logitech's drivers. Though to be fair I'm mostly playing games I haven't played much before, or games I previously used a wheel for.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
So many times in Max Payne 3.

"No, don't get out of cover!"
"No, don't go into bullet-time!"
"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T DROP THE GUN!"

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Most common thing that i mess up on is when games switch around whether start or select opens the map or the menu.
I really wish they'd standardize that one.

Other than that i usually go into button configurations for fighting games and the likes and find a scheme that's at least vaguely familiar. Speaking of which i picked up Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 before the weekend and i realized i've been using a control scheme that's different from the default since the first Ultimate Ninja Storm came out. Dunno how that happened, but it's the only way i can play those games now.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
I use a Merc Stealth keyboard; I find the gamepad setup on the left side is really great for PC gaming and really intuitive for me personally. Still I find myself having to "unlearn" the control mechanics of a game I have been playing for awhile if I start up a new game. Also, I am waaay too conditioned towards this keyboard, I would struggle going back to a normal keyboard setup for gaming.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
The switch from Mass Effect 1 to ME2 for PC has something like this:

"Why is my skills screen coming up when I press Left Shift? Why do I dash when I press Spacebar? Why is E not opening doors for me?"

Takes a while to adjust to it.