Buy a Real Life Light Cycle for Only $55,000

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
Looks cool, but it doesn't really sound like a lightcycle. I think they should have gone for a electrical engine instead of the combustion one they used.

Also, no daft punk in the vid, shame.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Whilst it looks (somewhat) nice it is a completely flawed designed to model a motorcycle on.

The seating position and fairing reduce the ability to utilise effective countersteering. Also the seating position, position of the handles as well as distribution of weight over the motorcycle means emergency braking is severly hampened.

Front brakes work best when you can apply as much downward pressure through the front of the bike as the vehicle undergoes a high level deceleration. The front tyre spread as well as pressure from the rider as energy is transformed into physical force upon the forks produces additional drag and creates greater friction between the rubber and the road.

Given that handle and fork configuration, no amount of pressure from the rider's during a high deceleration event will communicate in greater downward pressure on the forks, and as such, tyres.

It would be an unwieldly, uncomfortable, bulky, and inefficient vehicle .... some things belong solely in the realm of science fiction rather than finding transition into practical application.

I mean, I must congratulate them on their efforts, but it's an unsafe vehicle to operate ... as you could see from the video, all of them had trouble operating it.

No time do you put down *both* feet at an intersection unless you want to stand up to help get blood circulating through your right leg again during a long trip.

....And why is there no front brake? <.<

koga88

May 19, 2009
I'd like to see anyone go faster than maybe 15 MPH on it and see if it is even possible to turn the thing let alone stay on it on fast speeds. Still cool for the sake of being cool.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I rather buy a movie prop that glows and doesn't work then this ugly thing for that price.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
caleb451 said:
How do the wheels work like that?
The front and back are basically made of 2 wheels joined together(its why there so thick) with a channel between them. in between the back wheel is where the drive belt is. After that you just put bearings around the inside where the spokes would be and the wheel will support the bike without anything in the center.

SomeGuyNamedKy

Sep 25, 2008
Holy crap, the guys that built these are based in my town, I pass their shop almost everyday.

I need to pay more attention to see if I can spot one.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I cna only laugh if two people buy these and one wrecks into the other, trying the light path stunt you see in the movie that destroys the bike.

Still, thats cool, even if it doesnt light up.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Jbird said:
Why would anyone want this? I mean, you'd be wanted for vehicular manslaughter and mass murder, what with that wall you leave behind as you travel.
Plus it would lead them right to you. Unless you doubled back on them and trapped them within a square.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Pretty sweet, but something like that really needs to be some sort of high performance electric/hybrid drive - the engine throb was kinda out of place ;)

Nice look to it, I wouldn't mind seeing some bikes that took that as a concept, then took artistic license with it. Relax the driver's position (making steering easier, heh), bring the arms closer together so you're not hugging a tree, and I dunno - do the tyres need more curvature to be effective for turning?

Pretty sweet as a show model though, kudos to them for making it! One question - did they license them? Cos if they're selling them without licensing the IP then they're setting themselves up for a law suit - that company making lasers that kinda looked like lightsabers got a letter from Lucas Arts in fairly short order after all...

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
theComposer said:
ciortas1 said:
Call me when it glows, because that would truly be a sight to behold.
Agreed. If it doesn't glow (and maybe even have an option to change the color at will), I'm not interested. Still pretty cool looking though.
Thats nothing that can't be fixed with some EL Wire [http://xoxide.com/elwire.html] or LEDs or something.

Having said that, I'm still debating on whether or not putting a third mortgage on your house and selling all spare organs would be worth owning one of these.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I would totally drop $55,000 on this. Hell I would pay double to get one after all of them run out.

Thor79

Aug 26, 2008
Nice effort, but that video just screams that this is just for show...and without the Tron lighting it just isn't complete.