Buy-Out Saves British Retailer GAME

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Even if someone buys GAME, won't they still keep burning into ashes if they don't fix the main problems that caused it to crash in the first place?

Ha. The Captcha is: "it's over".

Gromril

Sep 11, 2005
1337mokro said:
To bad, would have been more than glad to see the first obsolete rickety old price setting industry exploiting monopolizing shitty store go right out of the door.

It might still go that way and this might just be a really really stupid investment, but even in the best case scenario it'll take a few fiscal years before they pull the plug permanently.

I REALLY hope the entire collective game industry just says fuck you to GAME and pulls their stock. No matter what the investors do if no games are coming in there ain't going to be no sales (which there already are barely any off except for used).
Short sighted and hate fuelled. They employed alot of people and still sold games cheaper than most other places in the UK that do (Tesco, HMV etc) as well as a catalogue of older games. Trade ins is gone without them too, unless you have a blockbuster near you.

Seriously, just because you use digital distribution/amozon doesn't mean the rest of us do.

Also, mits of my avatar you villain!

Nantucket_v1legacy

acting on my best behaviour
Mar 6, 2012
I went into Game on Saturday and walked straight back out.

The PC shelf was abysmal, their other games were over-priced (despite the Spring Sale sign which promised half-price on numerous games) and most of their stock was second hand which was still quite expensive. In the end I opted for Cex because although the game was second-hand it was £6.00 cheaper than Game.

Please Game ? lower some prices if you can and broaden your PC selection. PC games are usually cheaper than X-Box and 360 so please don?t price them the same.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I for one, am very thankfull for this.

See, In Middlesbrough, there are 2 GAME stores close to hand, One in M-Bro town centre, the other in a retail park called "Teesside Park" and these 2 game stores (apart from Grainger Games and CEX) are pretty much the only stores to get games from.

Now, Grainger is heavily in the Used games department (However they do have new games for usually a cheaper price than GAME), and CEX only sell pre-owned games and DVD's, Without GAME there, i doubt CEX would of lasted and Grainger would of felt the pain as well, however because they sell new stuff, they would of probably become the best place to go for games.

All in all, i'm glad they are open, yeh sure their games are overpriced, but the people who work there are fantastic, definitely a chain i did not want to see go.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Good news. Nice to see jobs being saved and the high street not looking even more emptier and depressing.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Gromril said:
1337mokro said:
To bad, would have been more than glad to see the first obsolete rickety old price setting industry exploiting monopolizing shitty store go right out of the door.

It might still go that way and this might just be a really really stupid investment, but even in the best case scenario it'll take a few fiscal years before they pull the plug permanently.

I REALLY hope the entire collective game industry just says fuck you to GAME and pulls their stock. No matter what the investors do if no games are coming in there ain't going to be no sales (which there already are barely any off except for used).
Short sighted and hate fuelled. They employed alot of people and still sold games cheaper than most other places in the UK that do (Tesco, HMV etc) as well as a catalogue of older games. Trade ins is gone without them too, unless you have a blockbuster near you.

Seriously, just because you use digital distribution/amozon doesn't mean the rest of us do.

My short sightedness is based solely on longevity. If you employ people with fake jobs, in other words by prolongation a dead system, you only shove the problem ahead in time. There were TRILLIONS of websites that delivered at your door, required no credit card and quite honestly had better customer service whilst still shaving of 10 quid off the price that Game offered. It could not have survived in such a market and it didn't.

Many publishers seeing GAME bleed out didn't step in to help but instead pulled their stock because 1: GAME was a monopolizing ass hole of a store. Do you know why Steam doesn't sell Mass Effect 1 in the UK? Cause of GAME.

2: They actively undermined the gaming industry by sabotaging new game purchases in various ways.

It had no future with so many competitors. Not to mention it actively promoted used games sales, because the money it made from those exceeded a new copy. I have friends who have worked there. Who were instructed to reseal used copies and swap them with the new ones so they could mislead customers and get a greater profit margin. They quite frankly underpaid and overworked their employees and had little perspective on the long run.

GAME's own short sightedness cost it dearly. If that means it's employees pay, well guess what they still will with massive lay-offs and withheld payments in Ireland. The only difference is that the cancerous monster gets a second chance to screw it all up again.

But the real problem here is of course the fact that I got my avatar before you did, so you better change it before I REALLY start trolling you!

Gromril

Sep 11, 2005
1337mokro said:
Gromril said:
1337mokro said:

My short sightedness is based solely on longevity. If you employ people with fake jobs, in other words by prolongation a dead system, you only shove the problem ahead in time. There were TRILLIONS of websites that delivered at your door, required no credit card and quite honestly had better customer service whilst still shaving of 10 quid off the price that Game offered. It could not have survived in such a market and it didn't.

Many publishers seeing GAME bleed out didn't step in to help but instead pulled their stock because 1: GAME was a monopolizing ass hole of a store. Do you know why Steam doesn't sell Mass Effect 1 in the UK? Cause of GAME.

2: They actively undermined the gaming industry by sabotaging new game purchases in various ways.

It had no future with so many competitors. Not to mention it actively promoted used games sales, because the money it made from those exceeded a new copy. I have friends who have worked there. Who were instructed to reseal used copies and swap them with the new ones so they could mislead customers and get a greater profit margin. They quite frankly underpaid and overworked their employees and had little perspective on the long run.

GAME's own short sightedness cost it dearly. If that means it's employees pay, well guess what they still will with massive lay-offs and withheld payments in Ireland. The only difference is that the cancerous monster gets a second chance to screw it all up again.

But the real problem here is of course the fact that I got my avatar before you did, so you better change it before I REALLY start trolling you!
Er......Iv'e had this avatar since I joined. Which appears to be before you did. Moving on.....

Yeah, they were a terribly badly run company, I can't fault you there, and the executives deserve to suffer for it (spoiler, they won't) but I fail to see how ANY business going under is a good thing provided they weren't selling uranium laced condoms or something.

Geez, have a little hope, maybe (and ill concede it's a big bloody maybe) they will do better the next time.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Gromril said:
1337mokro said:
Gromril said:
1337mokro said:

Er......Iv'e had this avatar since I joined. Which appears to be before you did. Moving on.....

Yeah, they were a terribly badly run company, I can't fault you there, and the executives deserve to suffer for it (spoiler, they won't) but I fail to see how ANY business going under is a good thing provided they weren't selling uranium laced condoms or something.

Geez, have a little hope, maybe (and ill concede it's a big bloody maybe) they will do better the next time.
Sure you had it first on THIS site. But I was using it the day the Halo video came out :). The internet is a big place Steve.

Anyway guess what the executives always get of scot free, that's not much of a surprise, but hey are they changing management? Nope. So what do we gain except the same people running the same company. If GAME went under it would free up the market. Guess what's so good about a free market? Competition. You'd have foreign or domestic retailers expanding to fill the void of GAME, hiring the people, or a part, that got let go and overall because of the higher level of competition the end result will be a better service.

That's why companies die. Because they fail to compete, it's the reason why Kodak died, they might have invented films but their camera's were overpriced and of lower quality than the Japanese ones. What would have been gained by buying out and inflating Kodak? Jobs would be saved yes, but what for? There will just be another company popping up soon to take in those that lost their jobs or they will move on to greener pastures.

Jelly ^.^

Mar 11, 2010
I walked into a GAME store at the shopping centre I work in on Wednesday.

They had the lights dimmed, nobody had any energy, and they were clearing the hell out of all their pre-owned games.

It felt terrible to be in there, and I bought DOW:WA for $3 and a Red Faction 1&2 double pack for $2 out of pity.