Buying games on faith alone.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
Dude I totally can't buy on faith any more been burned too many times. It's why I never buy games on launch any more I need a little time to make sure the game is actually worth the money I?m gona spend on it.

Also is it just me or does it seem that developers do way less beta testing now days,seeing so many games released with massive bugs and glitches and hurried post release patches. It just seems like common sense to wait a month or two after release before buying it as you just know there is gona be some ridiculous bug that needs fixing.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Bought some sequels on faith because I loved the prequels. God of War: Ascension, Diablo III, Uncharted III and Assassins Creed II: Revelations for example all turned out to be extremely disappointing to me.
Worst contender would be Final Fantasy XIII, as mentioned in the OP. FFX was my favorite by then. X-2 was disappointing and XII was completely unintresting due to the battle system. Had lots of hopes that they returned to their more old school style in XIII, but alas it turned out to be a pile of shit. Just recently tried to play through it again to pump me up a bit for the X/X-2 HD remaster. Got four hours in before I gave up. Could only play in 20 min long sessions up until then. >.<

Borderlands 2, however, was the nicest surprise. I loved the first game and the sequel did what it's supposed to do. Take the winning concept and improve it. I still regret getting it however. Bought a 10 euro GOTY version through Steam and also acquired it for free with PSN+(it's on PS3 I already own it).

Don't really pre-order games anymore. I have a pre-order on the X/X-2 pack though, but apart from the scary new graphics(Robot Tidus rather than Tidus the Orange) I hope the rest stays the same.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I pretty much always buy games on faith alone. Reviews aren't much help, if a game from a major studio is basically functional and doesn't set fire to anything it gets 90%. But then I can afford to get burned now and then, If I couldn't... Well I pretty much always buy games on sale these days anyway. Holding to that more strictly and seeing if it is fundamentally broken is probably a good idea.

EDIT: Eurogamer reviewed this one, thought it might be relevant.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-25-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-2-review

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I preordered Mass Effect 3 on blind faith. I did love 99% of the game, but the whole ending thing made me wish I'd waited a bit. I would still have bought it, but I wish I hadn't paid full price. (I'm so glad ME3 made me swear off preordering though, otherwise I might very well have ended up with a copy of Aliens: Colonial Marines...)

That said, I'm highly likely to buy the next Dragon Age at launch, so I guess that makes me a complete sucker.

I also buy all the WoW expansions immediately and without waiting for feedback. I've never regretted that, though I guess expansions are a little different from whole new games.

EDIT: I've also bought plenty of cheap (under £5) indie games purely because I thought they looked interesting. Sometimes that's paid off, sometimes it hasn't, but at that price it's difficult to feel hard done by.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Rarely do I buy games on faith. I did with BioShock Infinite because I wanted to avoid any spoilers and I had a lot of trust in Irrational. Unfortunately, it turned out to be one of those games I was really disappointed by. Even without expecting it to be better than the original, I was still disappointed. I'm not sure if reviews would have helped delay my purchase, though, as most of them were incredibly favorable.

I also always buy Firaxis titles on faith alone, especially now that I can drive to the store myself and don't have to play the demo to hold me over until I can play the full game. They haven't disappointed me at all. Then again, I was one of the few hardcore Civilization fans that actually thought Civ5 was an improvement to Civ4, at least generally speaking.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Never again.
I bought X:Rebirth on launch due to faith in the developers. I've been an X player for years and the promise of ditching the old, overloaded engine in favor of a newly designed one seemed promising and logical.
Sure, X games were never the most smooth, bug-free, or nicely designed games, especially at launch, but the X rebirth launch dropped the ball. The good ideas they had were overshadowed by ugly, unwieldy design, bugs preventing them from working or them literally not being implemented yet.

It'll eventually turn out good, they're patching it like crazy, but the trust is gone.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
I never do any research because when i start to read about a game i start to build my expectations and modern games never live up to what they could and should be. I never purchase games from specific developers either...i don't tie myself down like that.

I look at the title and the box art and decide what genre it is...then i look at the footage on the back to see if it's all cut-scenes...then i decide what genre it looks like and read the box info...if everything is consitent with what i consider it looks like then i'm interested enough to consider buying it. I do tend to prefer rpgs so it's kinda easy to spot the crap floating in with the good stuff and avoid it.

The thing is, after 15 years of using this method i've only bought a handfull of crap games which leads me to think that most games are good enough to play as long as you don't listen to other peoples opinions on them. I've bought more crap games on the say-so of reviews and other 'information' than i have blind buying on title and box art...guess i'm the better judge of what i should play than some fuck-tard who gets paid to sell me shit lol...who'd have thunk it? :p

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Did that with Dragon Age 2. Second worst $60 I've ever spent on things.

Nowadays I will only buy if I can play it beforehand via beta/demo, or watching some let's plays; if not, no buy, period.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Though

I did in the past and well I am even more careful these days in case of titles that still really we're good buys.

I rather wait, watch reviews, check the demo, etc
Look I am not poor I have some money I can spend in games. But eh! Yeah you get burned :!
Final Fantasy XIII, say nothing more
Final Fantasy XIII-2, you know they did work on making the game more interesting. Ouch still not good

No. I rather wait. That and 10% isn't that much off the price. As some people might say steam sales is changing how people looking at pricing. Why accept 10% if in three months during a summer sale you might get 25% off the least.

And yes the indie games as some talk about. Look sometimes the games you end up in a bundle not all attract you. But being cheap enough that the other games you like are still freaking cheap. You don't mind.

So again it can't hurt to wait. If not for the reviews then for the 25% off.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Faith hasn't been an issue with me ever since I stopped renting SNES cartridges at Blockbuster. Every game I purchase has been carefully studied, watched, reviewed and sometimes even LP'd before I buy it. It helps I tend to close the generational gap late in the game, so by the time I'm buying PS3 stuff the good games have become GOTY Editions or bundles or classics or whatever. So far I love every game in my library and they all have a replay value of sorts.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
When I was young I went by the box art. Now I have to watch videos of actual gameplay before I decide.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Faith isn't really an issue with me, I will buy if I think it will be good, simple. A lot of my games come from faith, and I am rarely disappointed. In fact one of the few examples is that I pre-ordered Halo 4 thinking it would be bad, then finding out that it was worse than I expected.

It's reviews I tend to be cautious about, causing me to think that BioShock: Infinite and GTA V were good games.