Buying games you already own... again!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Let see-

Phantasy Star Zero Europe and US version. There is no difference with them. I simply CANNOT wait to played that game especially when I was in my gaming drought (I was a Wii person back then) so I order the US version from Ebay. I bought it gain when it came out in the UK a year later to help its sales.

Legend of Zelda on the SNES and then on the GBA.

Advance Wars UK and US version. I didn't buy the US version, rather I simply took it off from my bro (he got it from a friend) when he had forgotten about that game.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Uncharted 2. However it isn't because I'm a fan of the game. It's because it ends up in every Sony console bundle I seem to buy! My first PS3 had in when the game had just been released. Later, I had to sell PS3 , and much later I bought a new one... that had the Uncharted trilogy bundled. And finally I got my PS4 to play Bloodborne; but I don't think I need to say with which game it was bundled.

Seriously, Drake. We just meet in every corner, don't we?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
LostGryphon said:
Bought the Witcher and Witcher 2 on GoG and Steam.

Why?

Sales, mang. Saaaales. And CD deserves the support for being so awesome.

But I generally avoid rebuying stuff like that if I can help it...though there are certainly exceptions to be made: For instance! Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus. I own it on Vita already and love it, but it's getting a Steam release soon!

So? What's a weeby sort to do but support based XSEED and, hopefully, get more Japanese devs to consider the platform?

'Tis a noble endeavor, to be sure.

Also...1080p Homura and Hikage, bruh.
I'm not casting judgment here. I just find it hilarious that you have a Holo avatar and you're talking about squandering money. I guess that was pretty in-character for her. She just found clever ways of making it all back.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
The first game I ever bought multiple copies of was The Longest Journey (just to make it easier to install on various machines via steam rather than dig out 5 cd-roms) and then the sequel Dreamfall (the collector's edition disk I had wouldn't work with Windows 7 in a broken-back-to-system-restore kind of way).

I also picked up ffvii on steam because I was hoping there would be an easier way to cheat in it since my old gameshark decided it wanted to start corrupting my saves on ps1 (still not sure if it was the console, the gameshark, or the memory card starting to go). Turns out there wasn't (at the time: I now use cheat engine), but I have since switched to a ps1 emulator with virtual gameshark to run my old game disks on.

I usually don't get games multiple times otherwise, but steam releases (especially of older console games) are always tempting just for the convenience and relatively low price.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Definitely the classic Sonic the Hedgehog series.

Not so much because I'm overly fond of the Blue Blur (even though I am), but more so because I wanted to play those titles on a more reliable and working system (my ol' Genesis has definitely seen better days), and because I too wish to enjoy Sonic on the go (I beat Sonic the Hedgehog on my old iPod; the one with the wheel *self pat on the back*).

I also got Persona 3: FES despite the main story being the same in Persona 3 Portable, simply because I got the PSP version of Persona 3 with my PSP.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I've rebought and advocated the purchase of Metroid Prime Trilogy (despite having that limited run disc), Metroid Fusion, Super Metroid, and Metroid: Zero Mission, (despite having working carts for all three) on the Wii U then dumped over a dozen hours into each title, to tell Nintendo they need to come back to the franchise. (The first two titles were bought before the reveal of that spin off.) On that note, I got Metroid Prime Trilogy when it came out in 2009 to play the first two Primes with Wii controls. So, I basically have 3 copies of Prime 1 & 2, and 3 copies of OG Metroid (unlocked in Prime 1 and Zero Mission).

After getting an SD card to MS Pro Duo adapter, I rebought some PSone classics (FF7, FF9, Crash Bandicoot 2, Crash 3, the Spryro Trilogy and Jet Moto), all to play on my PSP. [small]Funny how high memory prices stop people from giving you money, eh Sony.[/small] Now to list form!:

Chrono Trigger: Originally only had the laggy PS1 version included in FF: Chronicles, DS version to the rescue

Guacamelee!: own both Gold Edition and Super Turbo Championship Edition on Steam (at least STCE was $3 for Gold Edition owners when I got it) - STCE adds two new areas, new enemies, a new boss, and gives a little more backstory to a character.

Shantae and the Pirates Curse: 3DS, Wii U, and PC versions. It was pretty much to show support, since I missed the Kickstarter for 1/2 Genie Hero. (Granted, I waited for discounts on the second two versions.)

Genesis/Mega Drive Sonics: Sonic Mega Collection for Gamecube - As much as I love old school Sonic, the Gen and 'cube still work, so I'm not rebuying the games over again until they do a Taxman remaster of S3&K. I also have a Genesis cart with Sonic 1 & 2 slapped together with Robotnic's Mean Bean Machine (read: Puyo Puyo clone with bizarre robots)

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2: Dreamcast asploded. Traded in all games. (Stupid move but I was ~13.) Skipped the GC versions and finally went back to the games with the PC versions about when the HD console versions hit PSN/Xbox Live

Jak 1 & 2: Got the Jak Collection, mostly to try Jak 3. Still pissed Jak X wasn't included or offered as a separate (cheaper) title.

Legend of Zelda: Minnish Cap, Wii U VC

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask: got the 3DS remakes

Wind Waker and Twilight Princess: HD Wii U versions. For TP, I own the rarer GC disc, but played the Wii waggle-fest twice over between renting and borrowing it.

FFX HD: got it for proper widescreen support and one day I'll finally face Penance (that super hard ultra-boss)

ES4: Oblivion: gave the 360 copy to a friend, bought the PC (Hello, console commands!) GOTY version on data Frisbee, and later got the Steam version in a big Bethesda bundle

Fallout 3: traded in the PS3 version, got the GFWL version (I know, I know [small]It's one of the less bug ridden GFWL titles.[/small]) and finally the Steam version from the same Bethesda sale

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Not counting old PC games that I have repurchased through GOG, I have a few.

God of War 1 & 2 I had on PS2 then purchased the collection for PS3.

The PS1 version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, which was also an unlockable bonus game in my PSP release of Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles, and then I recently bought it from the PS Store to play on my Vita.

White Knight Chronicles 2 for the PS3 came with a copy of the original game, which I already owned.

The Wolf Among Us was so enjoyable to me that although I already owned it on PS3, I purchased it again for PS4.

I've owned every Metal Gear Solid release on its original platform, but picked up the MGS Collection for PS3 and also for the Vita, and also purchased MGS on the PS Store to play it on my Vita.

I think that's all.

EDIT: Oh, and how could I forget Final Fantasy II (IV) and III (VI), having the SNES versions originally, then purchasing the Nintendo DS versions later. And I also bought FF VII recently on the PS Store though I still have my PS1 discs.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
sageoftruth said:
I'm not casting judgment here. I just find it hilarious that you have a Holo avatar and you're talking about squandering money. I guess that was pretty in-character for her. She just found clever ways of making it all back.
Games are my apples n' alcohol, sir. No shame in it.

Feb 7, 2016
Before about 2010, I was a pretty dedicated console gamer. I dabbled in PC gaming now and again, but I didn't have the funds or knowledge to keep a gaming PC.

However after that point, I switched over almost entirely to PC, and that left my game collection not to necessarily collect dust (my younger brother would go on to use the PS3 more than I would), but I wouldn't play my favorite games nearly as often if at all.

I'd usually just rebuy them on PC, typically during a sale since most of the games were older by that point and Steam sales of them were frequent.

There was also the case with GTAV.
Bought it on PS3. Traded it in.
Bought it on PS4. Traded it in.
Bought it on PC. I have about 180 hours.

Plus with HD re-releases being so frequent, I probably own double copies of most major AAA games released in the last 6 years. Just in my general vicinity I see:
The Last of Us Remastered
The Uncharted Collection
MGS Legacy Collection
Bioshock Triple Pack
Borderlands Handsome Collection

I'm terrible with money, and a sucker for a higher resolution and smoother framerate.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
I have Resident Evil 4 for Gamecube, PS2, Wii, PS3 HD, the Wii port to the WiiU, and will more than likely buy it again come it's re release for PS4.

Bless that game and my problematic lust for it.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Mass effect 1 and 2. I started out with the series on the xbox360. So I bought the second one for it as well to transfer my save. Though eventually I found a deal for the PC with all 3 games in it. It wasn't -that- much more expensive than buying ME3 alone, and I wanted to use my mouse for the games since they're basically still shooters. So I bought the set.

And that's the only game I can remember really.

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
Strazdas said:
i bought games on steam/GOG that i used to have retail because they were easier to make working on new windows (GOG is especially good at this). Other than that the only times i remmeber is bundles when i get same game i already had because its bundled with others. this usually ends in me giving that second copy away to somone that doesnt have it.
This.

Bought from GOG: Dungeon keeper, Dungeon Keeper 2, system shock 2 - I have them on CD, they won't run or install on windows 10. GOG has useful stuff to help with that and working win 10 " or mostly working :)" copies... worth a couple of quid to solve many of the headaches.

Also, had Homeworld and Homeworld 2 on CD and DVD - same problem and headache to get them working. Was happy to buy the new Homeworld Remastered collectors edition. (which I normally never do, but the Pride of Higara is absolutely sweet.)

So, I will buy another copy of a game, IF there is a reason...

ThirstyGator

Mar 24, 2016
I bought GTAIII/VC again for the original xbox (the double pack) though I already owned the ps2 versions. I just couldn't resist that stylish silver packaging as well as getting superior versions of two of the most beloved games at the time. I also love the box art for the individual games.......they are very "plain" similar to how the japanese FF box arts are. Bought FF Tactics WotL for psp, though I had the ps1 version. A superior version that I can play on the go, so it was a no brainer. Actually the game that prompted me to buy a psp in the first place.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Tactics Ogre

Bought it on PS1
Bought it again on PS1
Bought it for SNES
Bought it for PS1 in a different language
Bought the remake for PSP
Bought the remake again
Bought the remake a third time

brumby

Jan 7, 2009
Ive purchased Deus Ex 3 times.

A christmas gift when the game first came out (thanks dad!)
A copy on GOG when i lost the disk
A copy on steam when I wanted to try out the revision mod pack which was steam exclusive.

Theres a few other games from the 90's which ive repurchased such as the X wing and Tie fighter games.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Oh, yeah, loads. I blame remasters, Steam Sales and the fact that I no longer have access to my PS3.

- MGS2 on PC, PS2 and PS3
- MGS3 on PS2 and PS3
- Shadow of the Colossus and Ico on PS2 and PS3
- Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Warrior Within and Two Thrones on PC (twice: retail and Steam), PS2 and PS3
- Prince of Persia (2008) on PS3 and PC (retail and Steam)
- Assassin's Creed 1, 2, Brotherhood, III, Black Flag and Rogue on PC and PS3
- GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas on PC (retail and Steam) and PS2
- Rome: Total War Gold Edition twice on PC (retail and Steam)
- Half-Life on PC and PS2
- Half-Life 2 three or four times on PC (collector's editions and bundles (don't know exactly)), once on PS3
- Portal, Portal 2 and TF2 on PC and PS3
- Skyrim and Oblivion on PS3 and PC.
- Fallout 3 twice on PS3 (once GotY edition), once on PC
- The Force Unleashed on PS3 and PS2 (though they're really not the same game) and once on PC
- Armored Core 4, twice on PS3 (one was the wrong version).
- Brothers: a Tale of Two Sons on PC and PS3
- Final Fantasy X and X-2 on PS2 and PS3
- Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns on PS3 and PC (I like 'em, sue me)
- Age of Mythology and Age of Empires 2 and III on PC (retail and Steam)
- Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City on PS3 and PC
- Borderlands and Borderlands 2 on PS3 and PC
- Bioshock 1 and Infinite on PS3 and PC
- Call of Duty and United Offensive on PC (retail and Steam)
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare and MW2 on PS3 and PC
- Crysis 2 on PS3 and PC
- Dark Souls and DS2 on PS3 and PC
- Deus Ex Human Revolution on PS3 and PC
- Dragon's Dogma on PS3 and PC
- Enslaved on PS3 and PC
- Far Cry 2, 3 and 4 on PS3 and PC
- Homeworld 1 and 2 (retail and Steam remaster)
- Just Cause 2 on PS3 and PC
- Kingdoms of Amalur on PS3 and PC
- Several Lego games on PS3 and PC, can't be bothered to check which.
- Mass Effect 1 and 2 on PS3 and PC
- Metal Gear Rising on PS3 and PC
- Sniper Elite V2 on PS3 and PC (to be fair, the PC version was free)
- Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, Republic Commando, Battlefront 1 and 2 (I think, might be PS2 versions as well) and Jedi Academy on PC (retail and Steam)
- Terraria on PS3 and PC
- the Tombraider reboot on PS3 and PC
- Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 and PC
- Wolfenstein: The New Order on PS3 and PC.

And probably a couple more that I forgot about. I might have a problem.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
I've bought an awful lot numerous times.

Most prominent are Gothic I and II + its expansion.

And indeed just to support Piranha Bytes.

Gothic 1 around 4 times. Gothic 2 5 times. Gothic 2 expansion twice as far as I remember. (can't check it until I move to a new flat).

By the way, if the English translation doesn't suck and you can overcome or even master the controls, then play. this. game.

Then just various in my Steam library like Tomb Raider 1, 2, Anniversary, the-part-before-Anniversary.

Then x amount I even got the key still because it was in a bundle.

Settlers 2 twice. Baldur's Gate 1 + 2 (without the expansion curiously, this I got only once) twice, and on top of that the Enhanced editions from Beamdog.

And this is just off the top of my head.

Rarely it's because I want to support the devs, that was when I was more naiive and didn't know anything about the publishers.

Then it's digitalized vs. the oldschool boxes from the days of awesome PC boxes.

Or it's because I hope that I can brute-force better performance with a PC in 5 years after the game's and especially its shitty port's release.

Many reasons. Also because I hoard, not just collect.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Mass Effect 1 2 and 3 for Xbox and PC.
Riven on disc and virtual
Fallout 3 and NV on Xbox and PC (3s never really worked though)