Cake (Music)

GunnerGraye

Dec 30, 2008
AuntyEthel said:
What do the fans think of the newer (the ones with the newer band) albums, Comfort Eagle and Pressure Chief? I find Cake fans are really divided on them, though I still like them a lot.
I thought just about all the albums had some good songs on them. The different albums got a different feelin' to each of them.

AuntyEthel

Sep 19, 2008
Pirate Pete said:
Cake is a pretty good band. Also, I suggest that fans also try The Kooks if they haven't already.
If I knew more about describing music, I'd do it for both bands, but as it is, I'll just tell you all that the singer of The Kooks has an accent so strong, it can only be described as "Bri'ish", which is fantastically fun to try to sing along to. (The exception for this accent is when he's screwing around with his voice, like in Always Where I Need To Be, but that's fun to sing anyway)
Eh? The Kooks are just a bunch of rich kids pretending to be poor indie kids, and most alternative fans in England hate them for that. They're about as far away from Cake as black metal is to pink ribboned kittens.

GunnerGraye said:
I thought just about all the albums had some good songs on them. The different albums got a different feelin' to each of them.
Thats what I've always said. Its just that I know some Cake fans who hate those albums just cause they changed the direction a bit and can't accept that they decided to do something a bit different. Songs like Opera Singer and Commissioning a Symphony in C are as classic as the Distance.

wewontdie11

May 28, 2008
What are you guys talking about the Cake is a lie?

It had to be said!

OK I'll just go now...

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Cake is one of my long-time band-loves. I have each CD, though I'm not entirely keen on the Crystal Palace album they've been working on... I'm not always huge on live recordings of songs I already know so well.

Either way, I commiserate with the gent above who wishes they would tour nearby. Their tour schedule is erratic, and always far away from me, even now that I live somewhere significantly populated.

If anything, despite my enjoyment of the band, I can't get away from the impression that John McCrea is a huge jerk.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
I love Cake, and it is really the only softish rock music that I listen to, I think that the entire group is just very talented. That said: "Reluctantly Crouched at the starting line, engines pumping and thumping in time, the green light flashes, the flags go up, churning and burning they yearn for the cup."-One of my all time favorite intros to any song.

GunnerGraye

Dec 30, 2008
Geoffrey42 said:
If anything, despite my enjoyment of the band, I can't get away from the impression that John McCrea is a huge jerk.
That seems weird. I have the exact opposite feeling about him. He seems like a nice guy to me, but sometimes looks can be deceiving.

Cool_Pat

Aug 11, 2008
I like Cake. I first came across them from the "Friend is a four letter word" song that they put at the end of several Daria episodes. I sort of liked "the distance" but preferred "Short skirt, long jacket" :)