Calendars

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
To what degree is the calendar the boss of you? We aren't a calendar-centric household, but that is, I think, because we are both self-employed and don't have children so we don't have standard work/school patterns to adhere to.

So yeah, Christmas is coming, but I haven't done any Christmas shopping yet so everyone's gifts will probably arrive late - does that really matter? It'll still get there, but on a different schedule. I often buy my partner's birthday present at any given point in the year that the present may be more useful rather than wait for a birthday - that is surely more practical and better? My gym workout is a 6-day plan, but because I'm old and decrepit I do a six-in-eight rather than seven workout most of the time, so it's a rolling pattern (that is, there isn't a Monday workout, there's a day 1 workout).

I've had people say that surely it gives nothing to look forward to, but it does, just on your own schedule? Okay, I won't be celebrating Christmas day on the 29th or anything (fun fact, I hate Christmas day at least partly because it's a day when the calendar really comes to bear with full societal pressure; or, rather, you aren't allowed to do the thing you want to do), but for things like birthdays, does it really matter when you have a good time?

Post COVID (or, rather, post-lockdowns) I've found myself even more detached from rigid dates, but other people seem to be too. We had so many late Christmases and birthdays that I think people got used to the idea a bit. But did you? To what extent does the calendar rule your life?

Also, and much more important, what calendar do you get bought every year that says 'This is what people think of me; this is a summary of my personality in date-tracking form'? For me it's dogs and sometimes cats.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I have a whiteboard that I put things like MOT, insurance renewal, appointments, that sort of thing. Otherwise I don't use a calendar, I've tried in the past but they never really get used.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I only care what day of the week it is (do I have to work or can I sleep in?) and if it's near the end of the month and therefore time to pay bills and rent. Beyond that:

I have a whiteboard that I put things like MOT, insurance renewal, appointments, that sort of thing.
Same here. It's also got a soft area at the bottom where I can use thumbtacks to pin things.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I usually mark my calendar for important appointments, or for paying bills. Though if anything is about to come up, I still check every now and then just in case.