California Congressman Demands Videogame Warning Labels [Again]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Warning: Frivolous legislation has been linked to aggressive behavior
Not to mention premature baldness and pedophilia. Hey, I'd like to see these guys PROVE otherwise!

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
I read all the quotes and all I heard was

"BLAH BLAH BLAH I CAN'T GET WITH THE TIMES BLAH BLAH BLAH I HATE VIDEO GAMES AND THE INTERNET AS WELL"

I hate old people.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Can we put a warning label over his mouth since listening to him talk makes me want to be violent?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
What really grinds my gears about all this is that he's introducing such pointless and unnecessary legislation when the state of California is in one of the worst financial states it's ever been through. I can accept, if not approve, wasting congressional time and taxpayer money in periods of excess, but when the government is broke to the point of delaying tax returns is not such a period.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
The only thing video games made me have aggressive tendencies towards is stuffy old bastards that don't know shit making massive assumptions about my mental state just because I enjoy playing video games.

Seriously politicians, will you fuck off with this shit already?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Game devs have a responsibility to no one, just like TV and movie industries don't have a responsibility, and those two things have children watching them more than playing games. Bullshit legislation from a bullshit old white man wanting to get votes from soccer-moms who believe this bullshit.

Making me break out the chart again.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Why do all of these old farts suddendly forget that we already have a rating system?, also, if a kid gets his filthy mitts on an M rated game, that's because of bad parenting, because these products already aren't sold to underage little bastards.

I wouldn't like to see a mindless and stupid warning label on my games like if I'm buying a damn box of cigarrettes.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
Oh great. Now I have to go back to HBO.com and recast my vote for stupidest state.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
"FOR THE CHILDRENS!"
Yeah. This is just more lobby-whoring with tunnel-vision scientific "proof".
Keep the proud tradition alive; Generic Rich Old White Guy.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
with a all due respect sire BUT WE ALREADY HAVE THOSE SINCE 1994!
is it that hard to run ESRB PSA,s? I think Penny Arcade already had posters on it simply print them and put them up near gaming stores.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
"WARNING: Exposure to violent video games has been linked to aggressive behavior."
So far I have not seen any "decent" study capable of making that link.

I have seen one where violent videogames stimulate the exact same areas of the brain if you censor the violence.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
The industry does inform families and parents, and most of them just don't care, because people are stupid and negligent and enjoy remaining free of accountability in their own heads.

Bottom line. Fuck. Off. Dude, unless you can cure the human race of stupidity this just puts another meaningless hurdle in the way of publishers and impedes both profitability of the industry and creativity.

You. Douche.

I can also safely say that studies might also find over 80% of legislation submitted to congress is utter bullshit forwarding agendas that profit mainly the person that submitted them.

Fancy that.

Apr 5, 2008
Introduced on Monday, Baca's third kick at the can is H.R. 4204 [http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.4204:], the Violence in Video Games Labeling Act, which would mandate that games rated E (Everyone) or higher carry a label reading, "WARNING: Exposure to violent video games has been linked to aggressive behavior."
Could someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought violence in video games was linked to causing earthquakes and watching Arnie films was linked to aggresive behaviour? Or was it Beyonce that they linked to aggresive behaviour (I can never remember)?

Oh and grapefruits cause tumors, the iPad causes the polar ice caps to melt, the moon is linked to wine going off and I've not been linked to anything because I'm far too wily, like the fox.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Mr. Congressman, since you seem so interested in psychology, did you know that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

Just sayin'.

I swear, these California politicians never learn. Did Leland Yee's epic failure teach them nothing?

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
lacktheknack said:
...OK, if you say so. Watch as nothing happens (parents still buy their children "God of War", for heavens' sake) and you'll add more stress to your booming economy that's generating a massive surplus.

...Wait.
That got me thinking, imagine how many people who buy Call of Duty every year are under 17/18. Millions and that's just one example look at other huge selling games like Mass Effect or GTA. The idea is to keep all these sales from happening, that's a huge amount of money that isn't going anywhere then.