California Congressman Demands Videogame Warning Labels [Again]

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
California Congressman Demands Videogame Warning Labels [Again]

California Congressman Joe Baca has once again introduced legislation that would require special warning labels about the dangers of videogames on all games rated higher than EC (Early Childhood).

You may recall Congressman Joe Baca as the guy who introduced legislation calling for "health warning" labels on videogames in saying [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88588-Congressman-Wants-Health-Warning-Labels-For-Games] it gave the industry carte blanche to "profit from selling heinous depictions of violence and sex to minors." And now he's back, trying once more to force the addition of warning labels to videogame packaging.

Introduced on Monday, Baca's third kick at the can is H.R. 4204 [http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.4204:], the Violence in Video Games Labeling Act, which would mandate that games rated E (Everyone) or higher carry a label reading, "WARNING: Exposure to violent video games has been linked to aggressive behavior."

"The videogame industry has a responsibility to parents, families, and to consumers - to inform them of the potentially damaging content that is often found in their products," Baca said in a statement [http://baca.house.gov/press-releases/baca-sponsors-bill-mandating-video-games-be-sold-with-warning-labels/]. "They have repeatedly failed to live up to this responsibility. Meanwhile research continues to show that playing violent videogames is a casual [sic] risk factor for a host of detrimental effects in both the short- and long-term, including increasing the likelihood of physically aggressive behavior. American families deserve to know the truth about these potentially dangerous products."

The statement said that "recent studies from the Pediatrics Journal, the American Psychological Association, and the International Society for Research on Aggression University of Indiana all point to a link between playing violent videogames and aggressive behavior in children and teenagers." Rep. Frank Wolf, the bill's co-sponsor, added that parents and children alike need to be made aware of the "growing scientific evidence demonstrating a relationship between violent videogames and violent behavior."

I'm not actually aware of any growing body of evidence linking violent videogames with violent behavior; there are studies that decreased [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113971-Australian-Study-Confirms-Dangers-of-Violent-Videogames].

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2012/03/20/congressmen-joe-baca-and-frank-wolf-propose-bill-label-all-games-warning-labels]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Warning: Frivolous legislation has been linked to aggressive behavior
Also leads to extreme bias in- and a general discrediting of individual if not treated in long term.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The only thing negative(?) video games has taught me is to never trust politicians. You had me going there for a second Councilor Udina. You jerk!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Cali - So far in debt they're "Winning" the negative lottery.

But wasting time on BS like this is more important.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I don't think i can facepalm hard enough at this guy trying for a third time to get a bill in that has fallen flat on it's face two times previously. This only proves even more that politicians and absolute retards.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
"WARNING: Exposure to violent video games has been linked to aggressive behavior."
You know, you can spend less money making an after school special than trying to pass an entire fucking law. Its not going to do a damn thing to stop middle school children from wanting gratuitousness violence.

I do have to say that video games don't aggravate me, but his face does.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
I will only support this bill if there is an amendment that requires all politicians to wear similar warnings.

"Warning - exposure to this person has been linked to idiotic behavior"

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Ultra-conservative is ultra conservative. We get it man. You're old. You fear change.

Deal wit it. >=(

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Ne1butme said:
I will only support this bill if there is an amendment that requires all politicians to wear similar warnings.

"Warning - exposure to this person has been linked to idiotic behavior"
Agreed. This should then apply to all radicals that say stupid things to get attention. Movies have guidance levels, games do why not stupid people with loud voices? We get just as much entertainment from them as we do from games and movies.

OT: Can we just found out the truth on this? I mean sure games can promote violence behaviour but when you look at teens everything they do is a type of aggressive behaviour factored in by hormones. When I see a teen that is aggressive I just figure its because of the hormones. I mean aren't men hardwired in such a way to engage in aggressive behaviour in order to procure the female? And females are hardwired to get the most desirable mate in the male. So therefore violence is a form of attempting to get the attention of the other sex. Of course it does get out of hand but I don't think we can blame the entire thing on video games. Some may rest there but not all of it.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Joe Baca, you baka. We've been through this already.

There's the picture on the box. It says "M" for Mature. You have to be 17 to buy it, but most places will say 18. What more do you guys want?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Wasn't that guy who shot Regan inspired by Catcher in the Rye? Maybe we should put the same warning on books. I sure don't want my kids to one day get the urge to hunt down and shoot Regan.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Some people don't know when to quit.

Although the though of having E rated games like Kinetimals having warning labels of the affects of violence on minors is slightly amusing.

In fact lets put warning labels on everything that can tangentially be linked with violent behaviour; books, films, drink, food, other people, stress, having a bad day, life in general.

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
They already rate these! THE WARNINGS ARE ALREADY ON THE BOX! If a child gets a hold of it, it is the failing of the parents, not the industry.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
...OK, if you say so. Watch as nothing happens (parents still buy their children "God of War", for heavens' sake) and you'll add more stress to your booming economy that's generating a massive surplus.

...Wait.