California Gay Marriage Ban Lifted

One of Many

Feb 3, 2010
AndyFromMonday said:
A victory for human rights! Hurrah!
But what of the human rights of the majority that voted to live in a state without gay marriage?

Anyways, I really don't care about the so called "Gay Marriage" or any marriage really. The government should keep their nose out of marriage and simply have people sign Civil Partnership Licenses, to provide legal protection and tax brakes.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
HyenaThePirate said:
People need to learn how to behave in a society again... I think we've all embraced this idea of "anarchy" where you and YOUR beliefs and feelings are supposed to matter to people and should be shouted out publically at every opportunity. This just isn't so.
Ah i get your point i suppose, it's a harsh world xD
Personally i'd never dream of losing a friend over anything like that, whether it be religion or sexuality or his immense love of apples. On the other hand that just means i can't relate, people feel strongly about things and that could put relationships on rough territory.

I hope one day everyone can be accustomed to such things though. Even a lot of gay people spend a lot of their life hating gays before they finally get used to the idea, it's like one big crash course in accepting the idea. Some might call it being in denial.
That gives me a spark of hope that anyone can eventually get used to the whole thing given enough time. Not necessarily with the crash course though :p

Zenofire

Jun 7, 2010
Yay! Now I bet the bestiality will be the next legalized by my friend votes for necrophilia. Who do you think is right?

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
Furious Styles said:
The title says it all, but here's a link

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/richard-adams-blog/2010/aug/04/proposition-8-gay-marriage-california?CMP=AFCYAH

Basically, a judge found the ban was unconstitutional.

Personally, I am pretty glad they've done this. It's a victory for civil rights and just generally great (speaking as a brit).

Thoughts? I know you're all reasonably enlightened so I can't imagine much hate for this news.
Good lord man! This thread has accounted for like nearly half of your posts! Good Topic.

OT: Yay for civil rights!

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
Score one for people who AREN'T biggots. Maybe 100 years from now, the United States will be up to date with the rest of the world. Probably not, if Fox News watchers continue reproducing.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Dexiro said:
Now if you're distancing yourself from the flamboyant "unicorns and rainbows" type of gay person then i totally understand you finding it uncomfortable, I'm gay and even i avoid the annoying flamboyant type.
For most gay people though their sexuality is no different for someone's love of apples. I'd just hate to see you or anyone else lose a friend over something so small.
A little off-topic here but:

Yeah I can back this guy up both his comments on homosexuals (Not that I think he needs it). Two years back on my Business course at college we had two people on the course who turned out to be gay. I didn't know they where gay until the told me so. Absolutely no difference from any of the straight fellows in the class. I wouldn't have known if they hadn't had told me.

They never tried to convert me to the "Gay" like what I've heard from most bigots or idiots. They never even made a pass at me... Maybe I'm just ugly :(. However they explained that most homosexuals won't even attempt to pull a straight guy... Waste of time. That truly turned my knowledge on homosexuals on it's head (Not that I was homophobic before then, just I was a little more ignorant than I am now).

Ironically we had a very flamboyant fellow (Who I assumed was gay)... He was like Alan Carr as far as campiness(Don't even think that's a word but just role with it) goes... He turned out to be straight. So that turned my other presumption straight on it's head too. If only we'd had something else to knock my presumptions out... Would have had a hat trick.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Zenofire said:
Yay! Now I bet the bestiality will be the next legalized by my friend votes for necrophilia. Who do you think is right?
Right because people who have sex with the dead are totaly intrested in marriage law.
But I fail to see how that is related to two consenting adults.

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
warboss5 said:
Do keep in mind, not all that long ago, the "majority" believed that an interracial marriage was an abomination and that black men and women had no business voting. Hell, I'd be willing to wager that in some areas (even states) such opinions could very well still be held by the majority. The ability of the courts to overturn unconstitutional laws is a vital part of our interconnected and interdependent governmental system.
This took five seconds to find:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/15/interracial-couple-denied_n_322784.html

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
One of Many said:
AndyFromMonday said:
But what of the human rights of the majority that voted to live in a state without gay marriage?

Anyways, I really don't care about the so called "Gay Marriage" or any marriage really. The government should keep their nose out of marriage and simply have people sign Civil Partnership Licenses, to provide legal protection and tax brakes.
Whether or not to oppress a large group of people isn't something to be voted on in the first place.

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
An then we'll see religious groups fighting hard to get the ban back, and just a whole mess is bound to start. I think the world would end if there was ever a moment where bullshit, bigotry, and other stupid shit didnt happen

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Decabo said:
Score one for people who AREN'T biggots. Maybe 100 years from now, the United States will be up to date with the rest of the world. Probably not, if Fox News watchers continue reproducing.
Oh, the rest of the world doesn't have bigots? Really?
How many nations outside of Africa have had a black LEADER or Prime Minister? England? France? The Netherlands? Canada?
How long until we see a black or gay (or black AND gay) Doctor Who or James Bond?

Don't go around accusing other countries of being backwards about things unless your own country is a shining beacon of civilization. TO which, there aren't ANY.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Dexiro said:
HyenaThePirate said:
People need to learn how to behave in a society again... I think we've all embraced this idea of "anarchy" where you and YOUR beliefs and feelings are supposed to matter to people and should be shouted out publically at every opportunity. This just isn't so.
Personally i'd never dream of losing a friend over anything like that, whether it be religion or sexuality or his immense love of apples. On the other hand that just means i can't relate, people feel strongly about things and that could put relationships on rough territory.

I hope one day everyone can be accustomed to such things though. Even a lot of gay people spend a lot of their life hating gays before they finally get used to the idea, it's like one big crash course in accepting the idea. Some might call it being in denial.
That gives me a spark of hope that anyone can eventually get used to the whole thing given enough time. Not necessarily with the crash course though :p
Not to draw a comparison, but if a close friend of yours admitted that they loved "little girls", and by "little" they meant 12 or 13, you would be accepting of that? You wouldn't change anything about how you associate with that person? After all, it is that friend's sexual preference right? It might seem like a far-out argument, but in many people's minds the two situations are not different at all.

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Knight Templar said:
Zenofire said:
Right because people who have sex with the dead are totaly intrested in marriage law.
But I fail to see how that is related to two consenting adults.
Well, that's the thing that people who trot out that argument forget: a marriage contract requires two legal consenting individuals. Last I checked, neither animals nor corpses are recognized as legal entities capable of signing documents, so marrying animals or corpses is right out. Unless we're talking about a kangaroo court I remember hearing about where a Pope ordered his predecessor exhumed and put him on trial for various crazy things?

Also, I love your avatar.

HyenaThePirate said:
Decabo said:
How many nations outside of Africa have had a black LEADER or Prime Minister? England? France? The Netherlands? Canada?
How long until we see a black or gay (or black AND gay) Doctor Who or James Bond?

Don't go around accusing other countries of being backwards about things unless your own country is a shining beacon of civilization. TO which, there aren't ANY.
To be fair, Nine and Ten were basically bisexual, or as much as the Doctor can be.

HyenaThePirate said:
Not to draw a comparison, but if a close friend of yours admitted that they loved "little girls", and by "little" they meant 12 or 13, you would be accepting of that? You wouldn't change anything about how you associate with that person? After all, it is that friend's sexual preference right? It might seem like a far-out argument, but in many people's minds the two situations are not different at all.
My usual argument in these places is that the "little girls" aren't really able to make an informed decision about the relationship, so it's wrong. But yeah, a lot of people would make that argument, if only to horrify people who aren't well informed. Or because they genuinely believe it, and I don't know which of those two is worse.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
HyenaThePirate said:
Decabo said:

To be fair though... We are pretty lax about our laws regarding civil rights. The church doesn't really have much say in anything in England. Not that I'm accusing any other country of being backwards. Possibly a state or two in America but not the country.

Though we haven't had a black Prime Minister... There's nothing stopping a black man or and some one of Asian decent from running for Prime Minister (Well perhaps a few of the bigoted groups would be against it as you'd expect but there's no law restricting it to skin colour.) . Though whether or not I'd vote for him would depend on his policies and not his skin colour.

Yes the rest of the world is full of bigots here and there... No country is perfect.

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
HyenaThePirate said:
Decabo said:

I'm from the United States. And while I agree there are bigots in other countries, (I never said there wasn't) America is still a backwards-thinking nation.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Scde2 said:
Alright! This truly made my day.

As someone who is gay and lives in California, I am really really happy with this ruling.

But yes, there is still the Appeals Court (Which I think is the 9th Circuit, which may be the most liberal) and then the Supreme Court, and who knows what can happen from there.

But sadly for many people, there's still going to be a long and ugly battle over same-sex marriage.
Sorry to be the realist in this but odds are the only thing to change out of this is Calafona having to reconise out of state marriage licenses. Not having to give out there own. the law will probably just be re-worded or this whole thing will just be tied up in the courts.

Decabo said:
One of Many said:
AndyFromMonday said:

Whether or not to oppress a large group of people isn't something to be voted on in the first place.
So the rights of a group (voluntary euthanasia, unborn babby) can be oppressed by 12 peoples morality

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
direkiller said:
Scde2 said:
Alright! This truly made my day.

As someone who is gay and lives in California, I am really really happy with this ruling.

But yes, there is still the Appeals Court (Which I think is the 9th Circuit, which may be the most liberal) and then the Supreme Court, and who knows what can happen from there.

But sadly for many people, there's still going to be a long and ugly battle over same-sex marriage.
Sorry to be the realist in this but odds are the only thing to change out of this is Calafona having to reconise out of state marriage licenses. Not having to give out there own. the law will probably just be re-worded or this whole thing will just be tied up in the courts.
That's why I said it was going to a long battle.
And even if this ruling would make the state give out same-sex license, I am aware that the law could and would change drastically in the Appellate Court, and the Supreme Court.
But even recognizing out of state marriage license is some kind of progress.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Broken Blade said:
To be fair, Nine and Ten were basically bisexual, or as much as the Doctor can be.
"Basically" denotes an assumption. While the possibility of bisexuality in the Doctor (more so the Ninth than Tenth) might have been hinted at from time to time especially with the inclusion of Captain Jack, it was left largely open to the interpretation by the individual viewer. Some could simply dismiss it as the Doctor is an extremely tolerant and peaceful being or even above base human concepts as bisexuality or for that matter inter-species sexuality. But no where does it clearly demonstrate the Doctor as having any other sexual orientation beyond heterosexual, considering the suggestion that the Doctor was married to River Song at some point and that whole "love thing" with Rose and Doctor Jane.

Broken Blade said:
HyenaThePirate said:
My usual argument in these places is that the "little girls" aren't really able to make an informed decision about the relationship, so it's wrong. But yeah, a lot of people would make that argument, if only to horrify people who aren't well informed. Or because they genuinely believe it, and I don't know which of those two is worse.
What constitutes an "informed decision"? From what I see in society, it looks like these kids are having more sex than I am! And I'm not certain what an informed decision about sex is and how it is made by anyone at ANY age... certainly plenty of "adults" have vastly different opinions and philosophies on the subject. And if you look or ask around, you'll find plenty of gay or homosexual people who will testify that they knew sexually they were gay at young ages leading to the argument that they are "born" that way, so it really depends on one's point of view. The entire discussion to be honest is completely subjective, accept for the part that gays, along with everyone else, have the right to all the priviledges and freedoms of everyone else.. and that people also have the right to dislike anyone that they very well please for just about any reason they very well please. Those are the only two immutable facts in the entire discussion.

But that is the problem with "freedom" isnt it? Because your freedom only extends so far until it interferes with someone else's concept of freedom. Then we have problems.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
HyenaThePirate said:
Dexiro said:
HyenaThePirate said:

That just leads me to think that a lot of people are gravely misinformed xD People believing that 2 consenting adult males is comparable with not-so-consenting minors is a bit of a stretch.
Though now you mention it i have seen similar comparisons in news articles. People saying that gays are worse than murderers... i'll be damned if i ever understand how they came to that conclusion.

Personally i wouldn't even let that come between me and my friend, even if i did find it really uncomfortable.
If he acted on that preference and possibly even broke the law in doing so that's a different matter, same with if a friend told me he'd murdered someone. It depends on the specifics but law breaking to that extent isn't something i'd want to get involved in.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
Rubashov said:
I'm...ambivalent about this news. On the one hand, it's a victory for gay rights; on the other hand, it's a defeat for democracy. Then again, America didn't really have democracy to begin with... Is it okay to support the use of an established procedure you'd like to change to achieve a result you desire?

And for those spouting off about how "America is a republic, not a democracy"...the fact that America is a republic has nothing to do with constitutional protections and everything to do with representation. True democracies are just as capable of having constitutional protections as republics, and such protections would be just as meaningful (i.e., not very. A constitution is just a piece of paper; only widespread support for the constitution among the citizenry can grant the constitution the ability to restrain the actions of the citizenry). The only difference would be that a true democracy would have to find some other method of enforcing the constitution than imbuing appointed officials with the ability to declare something unconstitutional.
IMHO (I'm no expert in law or government), A true Democracy would only work if all the citizens of the state had the same social class, ethinic background, and ideals. The fact is that, so long as one person has a different opinion, the integrity of democracy crumbles. At best their thoughts would be ignored. At worse, as is the case of Prop 8 and slavery, they would be entirely subjugated. So long as there is prejudice in the world, Democracy and civil rights of the minority are incompatible. This is why we have a constitution and the judges. The constitution limits the government, and thus the majority (though our constitution is fairly vague. I'm not even sure if calling something "unconstitutional" holds any more merit than "I find that rather cross"). The judges may decide not to enforce the laws at all if s/he deems it unconstitutional or, in this case, a violation of civil rights.

A similar thing happened in Arizona recently, a judge threw out a case because s/he found the new law dealing with illegal aliens wrong. Even though most of Arizona supports the law, that judge held civil rights as a greater priority than democracy.