California Lab Unveils World's Strongest Laser

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
California Lab Unveils World's Strongest Laser

California's Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory unveiled its latest creation last Friday, a high-powered laser array dubbed the "National Ignition Facility."

The array, which boasts 192 separate laser beams and takes up an entire football field of space, can be focused on a single point no bigger than the size of a pencil eraser, making the NIF the world's strongest laser beam.

Though you can almost hear warhawks cackling ominously with thoughts of destroying Alderaan, officials say it will be used [http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/05/31/state/n122519D80.DTL&feed=rss.technology] for "a multifaceted assignment that will include ensuring that aging nuclear weapons are still functioning properly without resorting to underground testing."

Additionally, plans are underway to use the array in "the study of astrophysics and experiments in developing green energy programs."

Realistically though, I think we all know where this is heading: Val Kilmer, a house full of popcorn, and hilarious 1980s hijinks [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2rtmoSuoL4].

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/gnarayan/2280260584/])

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I need to hijack this so I can carve my name onto the moon. Muhahahahaha!

Lopunny

Apr 15, 2009
Doug said:
Damn you to the farthest depths of Hades XD I was gonna say that :(

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
We have lasers and were using them to study things!?

Bullshit, lets blow up Mercury for shits and giggles.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I hope they watch out where they aim this thing. Wouldn't want to start an interstellar war because we accidentally burned a hole into the foreheads of some alien overlords.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
I hope they watch out where they aim this thing. Wouldn't want to start an interstellar war because we accidentally burned a hole into the foreheads of some alien overlords.
They probably deserve it.

Probably.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
God we must abuse the hell out of this thing...

Still, very cool and hopefully they can put it to great use.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Well, I always knew one day I would be a Bond villain. I now I know how I'm going to do it.

Deathsong17

Feb 4, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
"a multifaceted assignment that will include ensuring that aging nuclear weapons are still functioning properly without resorting to underground testing."

Additionally, plans are underway to use the array in "the study of astrophysics and experiments in developing green energy programs."
Rather odd combination.

Lopunny

Apr 15, 2009
Sheepzor said:
Lopunny said:
Doug said:
Damn you to the farthest depths of Hades XD I was gonna say that :(
Why do so many people steal my thoughts!
well, we'll just have to see whose crack team of ninja's commandeers it first, wont we? *glares at you* :p