California Law Allows Minors to Erase Online Footprint

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
This has to be a law? (It doesn't affect internationals with servers and offices around the world, hell just facebook has at least 10 offices in EU with each their own server clusters... Hell Google has huge server farm near where I live, a whole old paper mill's worth, and then smaller one in my hometown. The content in these servers has to follow local laws and are not subject to other countries laws...

But something like this has to be enforced by a law to begin with is stupid. But still step to right direction...
But fuck me... If I want facebook to delete my photos isn't it common sense it would delete them. Like Tumblr does, in which picture/post is tied to unique location which is just relinked...

Also why wont facebook and such sites just set it so that their content can not be displayed via search engine results....
I don't know what is more sickening, the fact that privacy is not self-obvious or the fact that employers sniff torugh candidates private life...

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Hagi said:
It's cute how politicians believe they know how the internet works.

So what if the content I posted on a website belonging to company A, which was actually build and maintained by company B whose servers are hosted by company C, but not in California, but in state D with backups existing outside the US in country E?

Who's responsible for what? Does this law even apply?

What if we go further? With company A having it's website build by company B using the CMS and servers from company C that are hosted by company D who's outsourcing that to company E ( and yes, that really happens ) with half the companies involved not being American and all servers located outside the USA?

What happens?
It won't matter because the content will have been archived by the way back machine and user F will have reposted the content to social media site G after which it was turned into a meme and immortalized on meme collection site H.

Erasing things from the internet completely is not a feasible goal. There are plenty of people who posted dumb things that can attest to that.

It'd be far better if we just accepted that and made the effort to educate youngsters before turning them loose on the internet.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Another day, another futile law passed by California.
Though at least this one's intentions are legitimately good.