Call of Duty: Elite Could Make Similar Services "A Necessity"

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Rednog said:
Rawne1980 said:
You know you will still have to pay for DLC, plus the game and then pay for using Elite.
Please provide the proof for this.
(Hint you are absolutely wrong).
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/31/call-of-duty-elite-preview/
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/05/31/hands-on-with-activision-s-elite-call-of-duty-social-network.aspx

No where in any article does it say anything about free DLC in fact, when have you known Activision to give anything away for free.

People will get early access to DLC and access to all of it but the chances of it being free are about the same as my shit turning into £20 notes.

People seem to think Activision have suddenly turned into benevolent beings and will throw content at Elite users like candy.

How naive.

They will milk this for every penny they can get and people will pay it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in for a bloody big shock.

(Hint, Activision are a business and nothing is ever free especially with companies like that)

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Rawne1980 said:
Rednog said:
Rawne1980 said:
You know you will still have to pay for DLC, plus the game and then pay for using Elite.
Please provide the proof for this.
(Hint you are absolutely wrong).
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/31/call-of-duty-elite-preview/
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/05/31/hands-on-with-activision-s-elite-call-of-duty-social-network.aspx

No where in any article does it say anything about free DLC in fact, when have you known Activision to give anything away for free.

People will get early access to DLC and access to all of it but the chances of it being free are about the same as my shit turning into £20 notes.

People seem to think Activision have suddenly turned into benevolent beings and will throw content at Elite users like candy.

How naive.

They will milk this for every penny they can get and people will pay it. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in for a bloody big shock.

(Hint, Activision are a business and nothing is ever free especially with companies like that)
So your proof is linking to outdated articles that basically say hey we got a sneak peak at the elite service but we have no clue what you will payfor. While my proof linked directly to the Elite site which stated exactly what you paid for and I actually pointed out what to read to prove you wrong...and you ignore it?
Here I drew a pretty picture in MS paint for you

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Rednog said:
So your proof is linking to outdated articles that basically say hey we got a sneak peak at the elite service but we have no clue what you will payfor. While my proof linked directly to the Elite site which stated exactly what you paid for and I actually pointed out what to read to prove you wrong...and you ignore it?
Oh dear, give me strength.

Of course you get to keep the bloody DLC BECAUSE YOU WILL HAVE PAID FOR IT.

It's not FREE, you will still pay money from your bank account into Activisions for access to that DLC.

How have you managed to get 'the dlc is free' out of 'you get to keep it after your membership has expired'?

So thankyou for doing a big picture higlighting exactly what i've now told you 3 times. Nothing is ever free.

It's what, $50 for Elite. So for that you get DLC and access to everything you basically had before Elite but a little bit extra. Now that $50 is yearly?

Now we all know Activision. Somewhere, somehow there will be more costs. They never do anything they won't make a massive profit from.

I'm not trying to get into an argument with you we all know by now they like to make money. If something looks like it's too good to be true then chances are that it is.

I'm not taking anything as gospel until i've seen what it's like after it starts running properly and if Activision are going to charge for extras which a lot of us think they will.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Rawne1980 said:
Rednog said:
Oh dear, give me strength.

Of course you get to keep the bloody DLC BECAUSE YOU WILL HAVE PAID FOR IT.

It's not FREE, you will still pay money from your bank account into Activisions for access to that DLC.

How have you managed to get 'the dlc is free' out of 'you get to keep it after your membership has expired'?

So thankyou for doing a big picture higlighting exactly what i've now told you 3 times.
Your initial claim is that the DLC and the elite are 2 different costs, they are not. The elite service's costs come from the DLC and bonus content.
All the stat tracking all the other other stuff that games like Halo provide come with the free version of CoD elite.
How is this not getting across, the CoD elite paid version gives you access to not only the DLC ahead of time but you get it automatically with the paid service, and it isn't a case of oh you stopped subscribing so you don't get the DLC anymore, you keep the DLC that came with the elite service. If you have the paid elite service you don't have to buy the DLC seperately.
So your claim of the cost being DLC+Game+Elite service is wrong.
And you're bashing Activision on this why?
Epic has the Season Pass for gears of war 3, it is the exact same concept.
Battlefield 3 is charging $15 for its DLC, the same cost as each CoD DLC.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Rednog said:
Your initial claim is that the DLC and the elite are 2 different costs, they are not. The elite service's costs come from the DLC and bonus content.
All the stat tracking all the other other stuff that games like Halo provide come with the free version of CoD elite.
How is this not getting across, the CoD elite paid version gives you access to not only the DLC ahead of time but you get it automatically with the paid service, and it isn't a case of oh you stopped subscribing so you don't get the DLC anymore, you keep the DLC that came with the elite service. If you have the paid elite service you don't have to buy the DLC seperately.
I take your point and I apologise for not being a bit more clear.

I edited my post above but allow me to elaborate.

Activision have never ... NEVER ... done anything that will benefit the customer over their shareholders.

everything they do is with the intent of making a lot of money. If they have a chance of milking more money out of this Elite type thing then some of us believe that they will.

Until it's been put into practice and been going for a few months i'm not taking that $50 all inclusive as the final price. You seem intelligent you must know if Activision can squeeze a bit of extra cash out somewhere they will do.

I apologise for being argumentative my initial thoughts were wrong and you were right for that i'm sorry.

I just don't think we've seen the last of the prices just yet.

AlphaEcho

Jun 16, 2010
Hasn't Bungie.com been doing what Elite has been doing... for five years... with the exact same look... for free?

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I really hate to say this. And I'm usually the first to bash all thing CoD related. But the Elite service is a pretty good deal for those who are truly dedicated to the CoD gaming scene.

You couldn't give me an account with them. But if I were a fan, I'd be first in line. Bottom line is this: if you're seriously into a game then the more content you have access to, the better. And since the service includes the DLC, which most players will want to get anyway, I say "why not". I know when I buy a Halo game, I buy it with the full intention of playing it until it's worn completely out. And that includes the DLC. I'd imagine many CoD players are the same with their game.

I'm a little less keen this type of thing the way Gears did it. "Buy a Season pass even though you have NO IDEA what DLC we may release! down the line" is a little less appealing. Even further down the line is Forza's "season pass" option which will gouge players for an extra 30 bones on day one after they spend $60-$80 on the game and it too offers no explanation of what may come. But I'm getting off topic here.

To summarize; I don't care for CoD much and I don't particularly like Activision either. But the CoD Elite model seems to give players more options for basically the same money they were already spending. It just asks for the investment in a slightly different way.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
AlphaEcho said:
Hasn't Bungie.com been doing what Elite has been doing... for five years... with the exact same look... for free?
Actually it's been 7 years (Since Halo 2 in 2004). But since the Elite subscription includes the DLC most CoD fans buy anyway, it's not really that big of a deal. (IMO)

Grickit

Mar 2, 2011
Haha what? $50 a year per game for things we get free already will become a necessity? Doubt it.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I just dont have the time for all this Jazz anymore, its becoming a full time hobby keeping up with all this stuff. I'm ditching both of them this year and getting Uncharted 3 for Multiplayer, along with Batman, Dark Souls and Skyrim. That should easily take me into the New Year.

Its funny when I was younger I had nothing but time and no money and now I can buy whatever game I like but have no time to play them in.

This is why I play games Like Limbo or Bastion but if you have time and cash to invest then Elite sounds okay I guess

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
Baresark said:
READ: We think people are dumb enough to support our overworked franchises if we ask them to pay extra for them.

Meh, he is probably right. I don't doubt the next incarnation of MW will do fantastic in the sales department. I don't think they have a very good idea though. Lots of external services for no additional cost do the social networking and game stat tracking thing very well, for completely free.

I can't wait till Activision is no more, it'll be a long while, but it will come. EA too. I mean, there was a time Nintendo was an undisputed force in the game industry, not so much anymore.
Tell that to Nintendo's profit margins. Obviously they lost the prestige of being the best, but not the raking in obscene amounts of dosh aspect. But to be honest I think this sounds like a good service, but not one you should pay for, seeing as it's already being done by various websites online. I don't want EA and Activision to go away because we do get some very good games from them. I just want them to stop acting so cartoonishly villainous.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Magicmad5511 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Bungie do this for Halo?
I may be misunderstanding but it seems like a similar thing of being able to keep up with your stats, news and to connect with others. Bungie.net did that for free.
Not a good move when not only has it already been done but they did it for less.
Most big name games out there already have sites set up for stat tracking and whatnot.
I think what makes Activision's CoD tracker different, is the "extra" things like videos and celebrity thingies.
I won't trash talk it until I see it and use it, but I know already I won't renew my subscription for it when it runs out.
Only reason I am getting it in the first place, is cuz I get it for a steal with all the extra goodies I get in my special edition.

bbad89

Jan 1, 2011
It seems people can't research, as all the stat tracking and all that is free, while only the DLC and shows are paid for, and even then, it's a good deal for the DLC alone, and considering the money going for it, the shows are probably going to be good too. This post will probably be ignored like the others saying the same thing.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I like how they think Elite is a new idea.

Bungie.net has literally being doing EVERYTHING Elite is planning on doing but for Halo. And Bungie.net was completely free for everything except video rendering.

Battlelog is doing everything Elite is doing......but for free. And if you buy the game new you get free DLC - Elite only gives you early access.

Gears of War had the same thing.

I think Activision may finally be losing it.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Meh, I am getting the game for the story and that is it, probably pre owned for chistmas. So it doesn't look like I will be buying this. I will stick to the shittier console version of Battlefield 3 for Multiplayer until I get an actual computer to have a better experience.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
I would actually love to see something like this happen for Guitar Hero.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Necessity as a business plan yes. You would have to be stupid to not offer "premium services" as it's the most lucrative of business model. Plenty of people are easily parted with their monies especially when the marketers prey on the impulse of children. There's what 3600 MS points in GOW3 weapon skins, gtfo you're retarded.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Yes, lets stretch out and milk these over-blown franchises even harder.
Milk that cow til she croaks, then milk the corpse! DO IT NOW!!

Do we really want this? Do we really want the same two or three franchises running over the market, wringing out more and more money whilest not budging a fucking INCH from their predecessors in design?