Call of Duty: Elite Subscribers Get Exclusive "Hollywood" Web Series

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Call of Duty: Elite Subscribers Get Exclusive "Hollywood" Web Series

Activision is putting together an exclusive web series for Call of Duty: Elite subscribers only.

Activision's paid Call of Duty: Elite [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110483-Activision-Unveils-New-Call-of-Duty-Online-Service] service will offer subscribers more than content directly related to gameplay. According to Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg, the company is also developing a Call of Duty web series only for the eyes of Elite participants.

It's an indication that Call of Duty: Elite could be a broader service. Early details have showed it as a social, stat tracking, and gameplay video recording/uploading platform.

Hirshberg told the Guardian: "We have engaged some top Hollywood talent to create linear video content that will be exclusive to Elite members. That content is inspired by Call of Duty."

Activision probably got the idea for the series from Call of Duty fan film projects like Find Makarov [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108167-FindMakarov-Unleashes-Live-Action-Modern-Warfare-Trailer] which have already brought the franchise into the real world. This time though, the content will be official.

Hirshberg didn't give any further details on the web series. He added that more details will be revealed once Activision has something to show "later in the year." The mention of "Hollywood" talent hints that it could be worth getting excited for, and might even expand the Call of Duty storyline.

Source: Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/jun/01/call-of-duty-elite-web-tv-series]

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
No sale for me on this one, I have been gradually enjoying the COD games less and less. I'm sure it will sell bucketloads though

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
Whoa whoa whoa, slow down. COD has a story?
no seriously Ive played the game and yet I got nuthing.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
HA HA HA HA!!!!

They think people will pay to watch anything ON THE INTERNET!?!

Have they not been here for the last half decade? People have always found the way around copyright, one way or another.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Exclusive, eh?
What's the upload time? 15 minutes? Yeah, that's how long it'll be exclusive, fellas.

Dexter111 said:
You know what EA should do after this?

They should make a great showing out of ridiculing Activision over it at E3 by making a presentation stating that they have all this (I know they do Stat tracking, have been doing for 6+ years and they do it well... I still have a Link to my BF2 Stats: http://bf2s.com/player/59173458/ even though I haven't played it for 2 years), AND better graphics, AND more content, AND free maps, AND more and basically point the finger at Activision and Call of Doody and laugh...

That would be a truly glorious moment. (Unless they want to go this way in the near future themselves...)
Aye, EA could skewer Activision brilliantly with this - maybe a parallel-running ad alongside the Call of Duty booth, listing the exact same benefits followed by the price tag of "Free!"?

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
While I'm pretty sure that this will get pirated, people still pay for netflix and hulu plus. Just because the gamer demographic has a higher number of tech savvy individuals does not mean that the series will be a failure.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
one person will watch it, record it, put in on piratebay,end up on youtube or somewhere else, and NO ONE else will pay for it...ever...

also, a call of duty miniseries? let me geuss, action, action, plot holes, continuity errors, unrealistic plot, main characters die with little to no characterization.

yeah they had something better about ten years ago called Band Of Brothers. then they made a better movie called "Black Hawk Down"

me think activision is trying too hard.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Cool. I'll watch it.

On YouTube.
It won't be on youtube. What it will be is the most pirated video of the year, largely as a matter of principle.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
zombie711 said:
Whoa whoa whoa, slow down. COD has a story?
no seriously Ive played the game and yet I got nuthing.
yeah something about some guy did something... I dont know the fine details just a bunch of explosions and my character being killed off

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
omicron1 said:
Exclusive, eh?
What's the upload time? 15 minutes? Yeah, that's how long it'll be exclusive, fellas.

Dexter111 said:
You know what EA should do after this?

They should make a great showing out of ridiculing Activision over it at E3 by making a presentation stating that they have all this (I know they do Stat tracking, have been doing for 6+ years and they do it well... I still have a Link to my BF2 Stats: http://bf2s.com/player/59173458/ even though I haven't played it for 2 years), AND better graphics, AND more content, AND free maps, AND more and basically point the finger at Activision and Call of Doody and laugh...

That would be a truly glorious moment. (Unless they want to go this way in the near future themselves...)
Aye, EA could skewer Activision brilliantly with this - maybe a parallel-running ad alongside the Call of Duty booth, listing the exact same benefits followed by the price tag of "Free!"?
or just show the battlefield 3 fault line trailer...that win right there with people who have a brain cell count higher than their age.

thathaloguy117

Mar 17, 2011
Ha, Halo is way better, and Bungie doesn't try to scam you into subscription deals. Also Halo has a way better anime and fan fiction source. In addition to that, the CoD series will be leaked the second it's out.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Yeah... Not going to get me to buy it, Activision. Ive had enough of this shit. I also suspect that MW3's MP will be total shit like MW2 and Black Ops... BF3 for me.

sean360h

Jun 2, 2010
thathaloguy117 said:
Ha, Halo is way better, and Bungie doesn't try to scam you into subscription deals. Also Halo has a way better anime and fan fiction source. In addition to that, the CoD series will be leaked the second it's out.
all i have to say to the fan fiction is red vs blue
any ways call of duty elite when they were showing the website i honestly it looked like bungie.net with a different background and also bungie has a subscription service called bungie pro which allows you the have 25 file share slots up to 1 gig of data (i think) and download the game play to your computer which i honestly think is a much better deal than cod for 15 a year

worldruler8

Aug 3, 2010
I hope they aren't serious...they aren't serious are they? Please tell me they aren't. Call of Duty doesn't understand how story arcs work, action isn't the best way for characterization, slow scenes are, and they can't even get those right!

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
You mean we get the Call of Duty style storyline without the gameplay? ...Why would we want this?