Call of Duty: Ghosts Sales Are "Troubling," Analyst Says

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I will, for once, allow myself the boundless optimism required to hope that the gaming market has finally, finally become saturated with dirt-brown, pseudo-realistic, modern-day military shooters, and that people are beginning to look for something different.

Pogilrup

Apr 1, 2013
SonOfVoorhees said:
Maybe they should make the next game where you play as a team of dogs. Or an actual ghost soldier getting revenge. Either way it would be something original instead of the usual stagnate crap that release every year.
I want Call of Duty X Warcraft.

Fantasy heroes vs modern military soldiers.

I don't care if the fantasy faction has to have Mary Sue level invulnerability, that is one territory that has yet to be explored.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Maybe there's more people out there like me that just wanted to play an interactive Michael Bay directed adaptation of a Tom Clancy novel. I never played Black Ops 1 or 2 and was never big on CoD's multiplayer. Now that MW3 wrapped up that plotline, there is little interest in this stagnating franchise.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Hmmmm, and wasn't Activision bragging about how Ghosts was going to blow GTA V out of the water? HA!

One thing I never understood was their excuse that the console generation transition was one of the thing hurting their sales. And if someone could explain that excuse to me, I'd appreciate it. The way I see it, it could only help to boost sales since there's now 4 possible consoles to buy the game on rather than just 2. As a launch title for the new generation, you'd think anyone interested in the game and interested in a new console would be picking that up along with their new console while those waiting to get a new console but were interested in the game would have simply picked it up for the old consoles when it first came out.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Pogilrup said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Maybe they should make the next game where you play as a team of dogs. Or an actual ghost soldier getting revenge. Either way it would be something original instead of the usual stagnate crap that release every year.
I want Call of Duty X Warcraft.

Fantasy heroes vs modern military soldiers.

I don't care if the fantasy faction has to have Mary Sue level invulnerability, that is one territory that has yet to be explored.
Actually it's been done a lot in novels, pen and paper RPGs, and others. Tech Vs. Magic and various crossovers pitting them against each other is a very old idea. Indeed Michael Moorcock handled that heavily in his books where Chaos generally lead to magic and sorcery, where Order ultimately lead to high technology, and what dominated a given dimension tended to be a sign of which was side was dominant. The old "Madwand" books went into this pretty heavily. Terry Brooks "Shanarra" stories were actually post apocalyptic, Robert Adams post apocalyptic horseclans stories oftentimes had the "heroic" (note the quotes) Horseclans who were neo-barbarians with swords, spears, and mutant psionics ("magic") fighting against technological remnants and hold outs from the old world.

Indeed it's so prevalent that there was one cult classic book called "Grunts" by the author "Mary Gentle" that parodies the entire thing. The premise of that is that our "heroes" are a bunch of orcs working for the dark lord of that world who get sent to kill this truly ancient dimension travelling dragon, a dragon so ancient that when they run into it, it finally expires from old age (hey it has to happen eventually!) allowing them to loot it's treasure trove of transdimensional weapons (it was a collector) which involve massive amounts of modern (late 20th century) weaponry, guns, rocket launchers, tanks, APCs, helicopters, along with all of the relevant training manuals written by the US Marine Corps. who they decide were obviously the baddest guys in the universe. The Orcs pretty much train themselves into equivalent of the US Marines while still being Orcs and then proceed to head out to conquer the world in the name of the Dark Lord, where they proceed to immediately get stomped all over by the good guys in the "final battle between good and evil" despite all common sense (it is part of the joke). After which the Orcs (who are still quite strong) go into semi-retirement (by Orcish standards), having used their tech and training to cover the retreat of the remaining hordes of evil... where things then proceed to get insane as the leader hooks up with a Halfling dominatrix, the defeated dark lord goes into politics and conquers the world anyway and uh... stuff... it's pretty long and gets progressively more insane as it continues.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I did not like Ghosts, the first Call of Duty game I can say that about. The storyline was just...meh (yes, I play the CoD games for their single player storyline, not multiplayer). I didn't like any of the characters except for Keegan and Logan because they both barely talked, none of the levels ever felt 'desperate' or action-packed like previous games in the series (The LA mission in Black Ops II, the Russian invasion in MW2, invading Germany in MW3, the list goes on). For America being up against the wall, it never felt like we were in any actual danger. And I kept feeling like the game wanted to be about Hesh and Logan was just tagging along for the ride. "We made a promise." No Hesh, YOU made a promise, and a rather stupid, boring, cliche one at that. And that scene in the plane? Someone at IW watched The Dark Knight Rises way too many times.

This storyline, to me, is the worst of all of the Call of Duty games.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Yep nothing to do with several million people waiting to get a PS4 before buying ghosts not at all.
This is the post I was looking for.

A sensible, and plausible explanation for what's happening that isn't tinted with bias.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Draconalis said:
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Yep nothing to do with several million people waiting to get a PS4 before buying ghosts not at all.

A sensible, and plausible explanation for what's happening that isn't tinted with bias.
Except the article makes note of this and states that the current install base of new consoles isn't enough to explain the deficit.
Andy Chalk said:
The later release of the game on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One accounts for some of the slide but Creutz said that neither console has enough of a user base to make up the overall difference.

pha kin su pah

Mar 26, 2008
Ed130 said:
Draconalis said:
Kumagawa Misogi said:

Except the article makes note of this and states that the current install base of new consoles isn't enough to explain the deficit.
Andy Chalk said:
The later release of the game on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One accounts for some of the slide but Creutz said that neither console has enough of a user base to make up the overall difference.
but did it take into account console distribution limitations?

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Call of Duty Black Ops 2 was a very respectable step in the right direction on Treyarch's part, actually putting effort into making the campaign worth playing, with half-decent characters (yes, Menendez's entire rise to power was unbelievably over-the-top, but he was actually, y'know, imposing compared to the likes of Makarov and Shepard, who were just boring [small][fuck America because fuck America and fuck everywhere but America because America][/small]), actual replay value due to having in-game challenges to unlock new weapons (for the SINGLE PLAYER, at that) and multiple endings based on the player's actions across the campaign.

Then Ghosts was released, and it threw literally EVERYTHING that Treyarch did well out the window in favour of producing their typical half-assed 80's action movie story with the most lame attempts at drama I've seen since Modern Warfare 3, and that's saying something. Thus I am not in the least bit surprised that Ghosts is lagging behind BlOps 2, being that anyone that's played BlOps 2 will have higher expectations for CoD now, expectations that Ghosts doesn't come anywhere close to living up to.

I'm clearly in the minority, but I am of the opinion that Infinity Ward should be barred from making future Call of Duty games, and all the development money that would have been given to them should be funneled to Treyarch instead, who should be allowed 2-3 year development cycles, because Treyarch actually fucking TRIES (or maybe Infinity Ward does try, and is just really incompetent) and their last contribution to the franchise took several dozen steps forward that CoD desperately needed.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
pha kin su pah said:
Ed130 said:
Draconalis said:
Kumagawa Misogi said:

Andy Chalk said:
Unknown, but considering that 'upgrade deal' publishers are offering and Sony learning its mistakes somewhat it may not be as much as you believe.
SILENTrampancy said:
You may want to edit you post, it seems to be a little broken.

pha kin su pah

Mar 26, 2008
Ed130 said:
pha kin su pah said:
Ed130 said:
Draconalis said:
Kumagawa Misogi said:

Andy Chalk said:
Unknown, but considering that 'upgrade deal' publishers are offering and Sony learning its mistakes somewhat it may not be as much as you believe.
im thinking more along the lines of you won't sell 100 copies to the 20 people that have the console. the upgrade deal is counted as 1, and considering online there is roughly 13k to what would be the usual 250k +, alot of people have held off.

its just going to hard to get an accurate number.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Actually, this IS starting to look a bit like the 90s again. We got sci-fi shooters and space sims coming back to the front, even if the first space sims to hit the shelves have been kind of... well let's just say I dusted off Free Space 2 with the Free Space Open mod and have been playing that a bit more than X rebirth.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
Why are analysts, or anybody for that matter, surprised by this? Every CoD game has been having bigger first-day sales but lower total lifetime sales than the year before since Modern Warfare 3 came out, as Activision rides the franchise into the grave by milking a new game out of it every single year and people grow tired of the same old shit that, frankly, was never all that good to begin with. The obsessive players grow more and more insistent on getting it day 1, while everyone else grows more and more disinterested entirely. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, it should be fully expected at this point.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
It begins...

Shame though, if only they added some Corgis or Pomeranians the game would have sold more.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
You mean endless Cod Clones aren't working anymore? OMG ALERT THE INTERNET THE PEOPLE MUST KNOW!!!!

Yeah saw this coming I knew it would happen eventually, never hated Cod and I think the reason alot hate it is because its popular and apparently automatically that makes it bad, but with that said the yearly Cod release with all the DLC Whoring instantly turned me off, good to see activisions shitty behavior bite it in the ass

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
And this is why analysts are like soothsayers.

Analyst: The world is ending.

Everyone else: Shut up, no it isn't. We are just fine.