Call of Duty Modern Warfare Impressions - It's no Modern Warfare

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0wkJADzmSg

Mack of worth a buy now praise COD. either he is soften up or is on activision payroll.

Best graphics ever?? it does looks fantastic but best?? lol come on

immersive campaign? just 4 hour walk in straight line generic war game.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Is it just the cinematics that look good or the actual gameplay too? Like, who doesn?t do everything real time by now?

*edit* I guess Infinity Ward doesn?t. [https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eAg3yp2C2uU] What the hell.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
hanselthecaretaker said:
Is it just the cinematics that look good or the actual gameplay too? Like, who doesn?t do everything real time by now?

*edit* I guess Infinity Ward doesn?t. [https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eAg3yp2C2uU] What the hell.
The gameplay still looks really really good. I'll give it that much. The cinematics are the best realistic cinematics I've ever seen. Shame the audio isn't lined up.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
CritialGaming said:
hanselthecaretaker said:

The gameplay still looks really really good. I'll give it that much. The cinematics are the best realistic cinematics I've ever seen. Shame the audio isn't lined up.
I wonder if they?ll be able to fix the issues people are having with it seeing as it?s hard coded. That would take a pretty massive patch if it was even possible to correct. To me, it?s not worth it if it still needs to be prerendered at this stage of gaming technology. What?s ridiculous is it?s a brand new engine and still has to cut corners.

There?s no shortage of amazing looking games doing everything real time.

Feb 7, 2016
The multiplayer so far has the worst camping problem I've ever seen in the series...like, it's pretty pathetic.

And it's all about how they designed the game for it. Everything is slower and more weighty, which I'm sure they thought would make it more tactical, but instead it just entices people to cower in a corner until someone trying to have more fun happens on by.

Which is a great shame, because I don't mind the slower and heavier combat. I just wish it didn't mean everyone played like cowards. I never understood how anyone can get any satisfaction by sitting in the same spot for minutes at a time.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Delayed response because I got it as a gift over the holidays.

I liked the campaign, though there are some definite slog moments that felt unnecessarily long. The story revolves around two protagonists: Price, the SAS Captain who apparently can ask to have anyone transferred to his command, and Farah Karim, leader of a militant group of Kurds rebels in Russian-occupied Syria Urzikstan under the control of General Barkov. The rebel group is often conflated with ISIS alQatala, who are described as a group of violent anarchists (who are all for some reason middle eastern). Meanwhile, CIA operative Alex (Player) is trying to assist the rebels while hunting for weaponized chlorine gas that was stolen by terrorists from a Russian facility, joining Farah's rebellion and assisting with hunting down and capturing the Wolf, who is believed to be behind the chemical weapons theft and is the leader of alQatala. Price and Kyle (Player), a SAS member tasked to foil a bomb plot in London and transferred to Price's command, join the hunt at the request of the CIA in order to find the Wolf.

Okay, the plot and setting aren't exactly winning any awards for subversion or deviation from tropes, but the campaign was enjoyable without being too long or short and, with the exception of two areas, no mission drags on too long. There was a notable absence of a Act II major event (such as the Nuke in the original MW, Reznov's reveal in BO1, retaking the White House in MWII, Yuri's reveal in MW III, the hijacking of the drones in BOII, etc.). Further discussion is in Spoilers.

Another notable absence were vehicle sections (i.e shooting from a car). Although there were moments where you were in a vehicle, the vehicle was often not moving. I wouldn't call that a loss as vehicle sections are one of the weakest points of the series. There's a support mission where you take the perspective of a attack helicopter pilot providing support to your character on the ground.

The ending is fine, providing notable resolution for Alex and Farah. Price does what Price does and goes on to plan the next mission. Kyle, who does get a bit of character growth in cut scenes, joins Price's new team offscreen.

Okay, there is technically a big reveal, but its muted by the fact that the character Harim, who is Farah's brother, practically screams "I'm the one who stole the gas" the moment he gets on screen because (a) alQatala is only presumed to have the gas and (b) no one in alQatala said they have the gas. Clearly they're not going to turn the one female protagonist in the entire series into a backstabber like General Sheppard (seriously, unless you count supporting cast in and Advance Warfare and Infinite Warfare, there are zero female protagonists in the entire CoD series), but another named character in the rebellion, and her brother to boot? Yeah, he stole that shit.

And before someone says otherwise, the ending is indeed fine. Alex, having found a cause worth leaving the CIA for (and likely having a burn notice put on him, though never mentioned in game but is a necessity given his body is in the wreckage at the end), sacrifices himself to destroy the chemical weapons factory so that Farah can continue to lead the rebellion and extract revenge on General Barkov, though his sacrifice is very muted compared to other entries in the series. Infinite Warfare's E3N sacrifice at the end definitely has a lot more weight than Alex's and I'm genuinely surprised there wasn't a "hit the detonator" moment, though I understand given the presence of suicide bombers already in the campaign and the fact that Farah's the protagonist and that kind of sacrifice would distract from her resolution.

And, of course, Farah kills Barkov, who gassed her people and tortured her for a decade. The stabbing and throwing off the helicopter was a good touch, through I suspected the character would have just used a gun to do the job at the end. The knife is satisfying and provides a more cinematic moment.

Notable non-resolutions? Harim. He's in Russian custody at the end of the campaign though, he's likely going to get broken out by the factions that form the opposition in the original modern warfare. Alex's handler Kate Laswell does her role well but largely provides exposition for the context of US relations with Russia. I would love to see more of her in future games in this timeline where she gets a proper story arc.

I'm not necessarily a fan of the "its a prequel" reveal at the end, though it does tie up where the game is in the series and why Price looks younger in the game. I hope they don't remake MW1 and instead move later in the timeline from MW3. Multiple surviving character from this game would make excellent cameos post-the invasion of the US. Does Farah become a civilian leader in a reformed Urzikstan? Does Laswell become a deputy director at the CIA? Does Price go into retirement only to be brought in for one last mission? Are Kyle and Gaz from MW1 even remotely related?

Per a personal tradition, I don't play the multiplayer before the campaign, so about to jump into that eventually.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Which is a great shame, because I don't mind the slower and heavier combat. I just wish it didn't mean everyone played like cowards. I never understood how anyone can get any satisfaction by sitting in the same spot for minutes at a time.
I tried camping once or twice back on Modern warfare 2. I picked out a sniper rifle and sat in a corner for about 3 minutes. Nothing happened because everyone else was sitting in a corner somewhere else on the map. I got bored because it was no fun and got sniped trying to find a better corner. I used to sigh with resignation every time I got dropped into a map and instead of explosions and the sounds of people dying, I got the sound of crickets chirping. I stopped playing COD altogether after MW2, I just didn't see the point.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Catfood220 said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:
I tried camping once or twice back on Modern warfare 2. I picked out a sniper rifle and sat in a corner for about 3 minutes. Nothing happened because everyone else was sitting in a corner somewhere else on the map. I got bored because it was no fun and got sniped trying to find a better corner. I used to sigh with resignation every time I got dropped into a map and instead of explosions and the sounds of people dying, I got the sound of crickets chirping. I stopped playing COD altogether after MW2, I just didn't see the point.
You gotta play objective modes or else people just camp because as long as you go positive in KDR in deathmatch, you did good. Go like 5-1 in an objective mode and your team is basically playing down a man as you're not helping at all. And you can obviously greatly avoid campers in objective modes because they ain't gonna be by the objective. This is exactly why I haven't touched a battle royale game. PTFO!!!!!