'Call of Duty' Sets Sights on a Fee

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
wow ok.

if this is anything more than maps/random extra stuff I won't even consider getting this
if I have to pay just to be able to be on even ground with other players it's not worth my time

andrew201292

Nov 19, 2009
"hyper-realistic combat-simulation game" LOL!

sadly i think some people will pay that but i hope it cause the game to crash and burn and comparing paying for it to paying for WoW is retarded

Shaftweasel

Oct 21, 2010
And this is why I won't be buying it. I had a feeling they would, I've been following Call of Duty's imminent downfall ever since the rumors about a Black Ops subscription fee first came out. Not only are they trying to get people to pay a monthly fee, they're trying to get people to pay for a nearly identical (Still in modern setting, running the incredibly problematic IW4 engine, targeting the same groups of people) game to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Needless to say, I can't wait for BF3.

Particulate

May 27, 2011
and?

millions of people will still pay. Its the most popular and one of the best constructed online multiplayer experiences ever. The only way to stop it or even make a dent is to make something better. Battlefield 3 MIGHT be able to.... maybe.... on a good day.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
Did anyone else get annoyed that "Call of Duty" kept being put in quotation marks? And XboxLive is only $9.99 a month if you're getting fucked over by the auto-renewal.

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
EllEzDee said:
Wow, they really like money.
What, might i ask, are they actually fucking doing with all that money? The engine hasn't changed since Modern Warfare 1, and neither has the gameplay.
Do they honestly just roll around in it? Because i always thought that was just some kind of joke for referring to Nintendo and Blizzard with...
Maximum profitability. Why design new things when everyone and his brother will just gobble it up regardless? Same goes with console manufacturers. We are the reason you no longer see such great strides in gaming technology.

Sep 30, 2010
Necromancer Jim said:
Once again, Activision loves money and hates that not everyone hates them (or so it would seem).

Also, I actually laughed out loud when they referred to Call of Duty as a "Hyper-Realistic Combat Simulator".
You know how they say your life flashes before your eyes before you die? something similar happened when I read that line except a guy 360 quick scoping and the one man army perk flashed before my eyes.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
So, now instead of charging players $15 for a map pack, they will charge them $x a month, for a new map, every now and then? Oh well, only getting MW3 for its single-player and horde/spec-ops mode.

Silas13013

Mar 31, 2011
Well looks like I need to go see about getting the money back from my pre order. This is going too far.

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
They did cancel their not as good rock-band so its understandable they want more money but I had a crazy business proposition. What if they made a new game franchise! I know crazy right?

Trent Kama

Apr 4, 2010
hyper-realistic combat-simulation game
We are talking about COD, right?

Anyway, if the 'hardcore' COD fans want to pay for their extra crap, they'll do it. There'll be a lot of community backlash for this, though.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
irishdude said:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304563104576355310423496054.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories
Misleading headline is misleading.

That being said, I don't like the idea of paying a subscription fee for map packs. If you want to sell a map pack, then design the maps, set a fixed price, and I'll decide whether or not I want to pay that price. I don't want to and will not pay a subscription fee for extra maps.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
isnt this monthly fee completely optional. its for cod elite so if you dont want the extra maps and content cant you just not pay for it?

so i dont see the issue here

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Troublesome Lagomorph said:
Didn't they say this before?
Then say they'd never do that?
And its back again... surprise surprise.
They said they might charge for premium content. They said they would never charge to actually play the game online. Not really back as much as the premium content fees going into effect and honestly, its really better than paying $15 for a map pack every couple of months.