Call of Duty: World at War - I cannot bring myself to call it 'Nerd's Eye View'

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
The first thing that amused me about this game was on the back of the box.
?Experience war like you?ve never experienced it before.?

No. No, Activision, this is exactly how I experienced it before. I have played Medal of Honour, you know.

Ok, let?s get this review started proper.
Call of Duty: World at War is the sixth game in the Call of Duty series, if my memory serves me correctly. I?m including the extra part of the second game.
After the big hit that was Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Treyarch somehow got their hands on the Call of Duty licence, and gave birth to this first person shooter, based in the Second World War.

The game features several game modes, which I?ll go through in order.
First is the obvious ? The single player campaign. This puts you through a series of missions from the perspective of either the US Marine, Miller, or the Red Army Private, Dmitri Petrenko, and the story alternates between the two. The gameplay is predictable, with mission objectives alternating between ?clear area? and ?destroy object?, but the weapons and environments are varied, ranging from the tropical island of Makin, to the ruined city of Stalingrad, and one of the most visually effective, the fires of Berlin.
Most of the events, if not all, are historically accurate, and although not adding to the gameplay per se, it definitely adds some authenticity to your actions.
Now, I?ve not played many shooters set in WWII, but each of the ones I have played included the D-Day landings. Treyarch decided to omit this. I don?t know why, but I?m glad they did. The thing about the historical accuracy means there?s very little variation between the WWII shooters. If you?ve beaten D-Day once, you?ve done it a thousand times.
Although the general mission objectives are repetitive, the methods aren?t. The introduction to Petrenko, and the Soviet forces, has you involved in a sniper duel, between yourself and a Nazi sniper in Stalingrad. This is very entertaining, especially on the hardest difficulty, as the sniper can take several shots before finally dying, whereas the player may take only one.
The final parts featured in the campaign are the, you guessed it, forced vehicle sections. They crop up a lot in FPS, so the only thing you can really do is get used to them. Out of the two that I can remember, my favourite is the second. The first puts you in control of a Russian T-34 battle tank, armed with an extra flamethrower. Now, rather than hiding from German fire, you can drive right up to them and incinerate them with your flamethrower, and destroy the other tanks that show up.
The second puts you in the shoes of Petty Officer Locke, manning the guns in an American PBY Catalina, attacking a Japanese merchant fleet. The atmosphere is truly defined by the pounding soundtrack, which I at first mistook for the guns from PT boats thudding against the hull of the Catalina.

There are two other modes for the campaign. One is a co-op mode, which features up to four players over Xbox LIVE (Once again, I review the Xbox 360 version), or system link. I think it works for system link ? it usually does.
The aim of this co-operative venture is simply to complete the campaign. Having four players makes it both easier and harder to beat a level. I know it sounds odd.
It?s made easier by the fact that if you take a usually-fatal shot, you?re put into Last Stand, which has you lying on the ground with a pistol, allowing you to shoot or knife any nearby enemies. It is then up to one of the other players to revive you. This can happen an infinite number of times, so missions are made easier by the ability to carry on from where you fell to Last Stand, rather than restarting from a checkpoint every time you forget to reload.
It?s made harder, however, by the fact that if one of the players falls to Last Stand, and they?re in a particularly dangerous area, it?s very difficult for the other players to reach their comrade, and even more difficult for them to revive them without being shot. And should you leave a player in last stand, they eventually bleed out. If one player dies, the whole team must restart from a checkpoint.

The other mode of campaign is a multiplayer competitive one. The aim for each player is no longer just to complete the level, it?s to gain as many points as possible, from killing enemies in a variety of ways. But, just in case players were considering being selfish, and leaving their downed allies to bleed out, they are awarded points for reviving their allies in Last Stand, whereas the downed allies lose points for falling.
In my opinion, the points system is balanced, and keeps most games near-equal, creating a sense of real competition.
Competitive campaign also features the Challenges system the Call of Duty series holds so close, with the rewards from completing the challenges coming in the form of XP, which gets added onto the Multiplayer total.

The next mode is the main Multiplayer. The playlists featured in the Matchmaking are varied, involving the straight-up Team Deathmatch, Free-For-All, the territory-based War mode, and Hardcore variants of each. Hardcore removes a good chunk of your starting health, and removes the HUD, so you have only your wits to rely on when it comes to combat. The XP and ranking systems are especially prominent in this mode, since reaching a certain amount of XP results in a promotion. Promotions result in new weapons, and completing weapon Challenges earns you extras for the guns, such as suppressors, scopes and larger clips.
Unlike a large number of first person shooters, the Call of Duty series uses a class system, where weapons and Perks are chosen before games, as opposed to having a starting weapon, and having to find new weapons on the battlefield. Weapons do not spawn on the maps, they are only dropped by fallen players.
The aforementioned Perks are bonuses onto the player. Proximity mines, faster reloads, faster firing speeds, to name but a few. They featured in previous Call of Duty games, so long-term fans would be familiar with them.

The final mode, and possibly the only new thing to come to the WWII shooter subgenre in years, is the Nazi Zombies mode. Up to four players hold out in an abandoned house/mental asylum against a horde of undead Nazis. Starting with only a pistol, they must acquire points from killing zombies and rebuilding their barriers to purchase new weapons from their outlines upon the walls, and to unlock different parts of the house.

Recently, Treyarch released a map pack for the game. This included three new maps, to add to the already fairly extensive list. Nightfire, Kneedeep and Station. In my opinion, these maps were definitely worth the 800 Microsoft points I, well, my brother, paid. Nightfire is a visual spectacle, Kneedeep is quite annoyingly circular, so I keep getting stabbed in the back, in the most literal sense of the phrase, and Station is delightfully linear, giving some of that old-fashioned conflict I?ve been missing.
The final thing the map pack included was Verruckt. A mental asylum to fight the Nazi Zombies in. Before the map pack, there was only Nacht Der Untoten, leaving little variation in the Nazi Zombies game mode. Now there?s a little more variation.

So, in conclusion, I?d advise getting Call of Duty: World at War, as, although nothing new to the subgenre, it?s still a lot of fun, and if you like World War II, and you like zombies?well, it?s obvious.
Oh, tanks are also included in the Multiplayer mix. What?s next? Jeeps? Boats? Battlefield: 1942?

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
pimppeter2 said:
try adding some pics to lighten things up. Serious case of Wall of text
this... also, Treyarch, didn't "somehow get their hands on the Call of Duty licence", Infinity Ward and Treyarch have been swapping the franchise between them for a while now.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Simalacrum said:
pimppeter2 said:
this... also, Treyarch, didn't "somehow get their hands on the Call of Duty licence", Infinity Ward and Treyarch have been swapping the franchise between them for a while now.
My apologies. I didn't know that. I was mainly going off everyone's complaints that Treyarch had ruined the franchise and such. I'm going to refer to that as Bay Syndrome from now on. Since the first time I encountered this was with the release of the 2007 Transformers film. :)

And I'll add pictures for my next reviews. I promise. :)

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Thyunda said:
Simalacrum said:
pimppeter2 said:
My apologies. I didn't know that. I was mainly going off everyone's complaints that Treyarch had ruined the franchise and such. I'm going to refer to that as Bay Syndrome from now on. Since the first time I encountered this was with the release of the 2007 Transformers film. :)

haha, good to see your learning from people's criticism and advice, too few people do that these days... goodluck with the next review ^^

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Simalacrum said:
Thyunda said:
Simalacrum said:
pimppeter2 said:

haha, good to see your learning from people's criticism and advice, too few people do that these days... goodluck with the next review ^^
I intended to this time, but I wrote the review over two seperate sessions - You can probably tell.
I have to take it in turns to use the computer with my brothers, we get an hour each. And it didn't help that I was playing Oblivion instead of World at War.

Beefcakes

Pants Lord of Vodka
Aug 11, 2008
Hmm, upon reflection that was a-lot of text...
Yeah, people have already mentioned pictures, so I'll not say that
Good review though, solid information, some times there might be a bit too much bias in it, I mean I know its meant to be your pinion of how good a game is, but just go with me here
Overall? Liked it, if a little 'text-wallesque'
Good work, look forward to the next one.

Edit: Upon re-revision, I withdraw my statement of bias
Good work!

Vibgyor

Mar 7, 2009
I never played Call of Duty 4 so this game (particularly the multiplayer) was and is one of the best things I've played.

please click
[http://heresy-online.net/daemons/adoptables/5782-loe.htm]

Squiggers

May 10, 2008
A good review overall, and maybe its because I'm a pessimist, but you don't mention any issues with the game - and last time I played, I spotted quite a few issues with the game overall.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Squiggers said:
A good review overall, and maybe its because I'm a pessimist, but you don't mention any issues with the game - and last time I played, I spotted quite a few issues with the game overall.
God, yes! I meant to include the phenomena of the floating rock. And when that light machine gun was hovering around my head and shooting at people. That was weird.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Thyunda said:
Simalacrum said:
pimppeter2 said:
Its not that it was a bad review, but too much text without inturuption can leave the brain fried. I try to add a pic every 2-3 paragraphs, about maybe 4-5 a review. Its all about harmony. But watch out on pic size. Try to find medium range sized pics that will show up nice and fit in well.

Just a lil advice.

Squiggers

May 10, 2008
Thyunda said:
Squiggers said:
God, yes! I meant to include the phenomena of the floating rock. And when that light machine gun was hovering around my head and shooting at people. That was weird.
Hmmm, I've yet to come across those.... Then again, I was more reffering to the stupid game mechanics - such as using an entire magazine to the face to kill someone. On more than one occasion.

freakonnaisance

May 29, 2009
I find COD5 very nice. It expands into campaigns that I have NOT played before and is quite unique even against its oh so tempting to use as a game WWII background. Multiplayer is phenomenal including nazi zombies and I cannot stand those who keep complaining about it.Yes, we know the guns suck, no we dont care. COD4 was just another modern shooter just like the free ones i can dwnload on the internet or get for like what, 20 bucks? SO STOP TELLING ME YOU DON'T LIKE COD5... you just suck.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Squiggers said:
Thyunda said:
Squiggers said:
Hmmm, I've yet to come across those.... Then again, I was more reffering to the stupid game mechanics - such as using an entire magazine to the face to kill someone. On more than one occasion.
Odd. I've not yet run into that.

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
Squiggers said:
Thyunda said:
Squiggers said:
I could add the bad collision detection (or collision mapping on maps) as i have died many times from trying to shoot around a moderately sized rock or statue, only for the shots to have registered as hitting the object. Before anyone says, this was done in both single and multiplayer, so lag is not a factor.

Squiggers

May 10, 2008
Inconsistancies Arise said:
Squiggers said:
Thyunda said:
Squiggers said:
I could add the bad collision detection (or collision mapping on maps) as i have died many times from trying to shoot around a moderately sized rock or statue, only for the shots to have registered as hitting the object. Before anyone says, this was done in both single and multiplayer, so lag is not a factor.
That would pretty much agree with my one - often, I've had hits not register on a target, dunno why. Probably been sorted with a patch by now, but the last time I played it on the 360, there was massive problems with it both online, and in single player. (Half tempted to do my own review on it now, to go over it. =P)

TrevorOfCrete

Jun 14, 2008
well written. Its a nice easy read, some people here try to be too elaborate, others are not enough. I think you got the balance just right for my particular tastes.