Call of Juarez: The Cartel Irks Texas Police

ionpulse2

Mar 13, 2009
Well, the officer is an idiot. We know that. But what does that help?

I mean really - at this point there are enough people with enough ammunition to completely destroy videogames as we know them. Sure, it is the same with every generation - the older population dislikes and even downright despises everything about their younger counterparts - it happened with books, movies, and music.

The thing is though, nowadays people are just so damn afraid of controversy, so afraid of upsetting other people, that for the first time in modern history the evolution of culture is at severe risk. We are at a crossroads of culture - we can either embrace the new and develop it into something wonderful, or lock it in a box and throw away the key, completely halting cultural development, and in turn, human development.

As much as I'd like to say that I'm not worried about this man's reaction... I really am.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
While I don't think he is correct, it is kinda interesting to place a game based on current going ons in the world.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Cause teenagers who's parents have the money to buy games are so succesfull in the cartells or in Drug dealing.
Everyone wants to make deals with teenagers cause they are also such reliable criminals.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
MelasZepheos said:
If you were a drug cartel member looking to find new ways to get respectable mules, wouldn't you try and big up your own lifestyle by using games like this? Some people have joined gangster culture because of the songs, videogames and movies which portray it glamourously, and it's not inconceivable that a canny dealer would use it to his advantage to try and hook people in.
There will always be people who take things the wrong way. It's human nature....People are impressionable. If you start censoring some things because of "potential," where do you stop? And who do you trust to make these decisions?

Way better to just not go there.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
MelasZepheos said:
but then again, I don't see any songs or movies glorifying the drug trafficking lifestyle, and it's entirely possible this game would.
You need to watch more movies and listen to more music :)

Also we know next to nothing of this game or how it will portray the situation, if at all. It could actually show it in the classic view of "people doing bad things end up dead". I also don't see an increase in gang violence from GTA or niche flavoured old-style gangsters after Mafia was launched.

Also as much as it's possible someone would say "hey, I wanna do this shit in real life now", it's also possible that they'll go "why would I risk my life doing something I can simulate and have a lot more fun with in game?". They can also spend more leisurely time playing games instead of associating with people who are normally into drugs and drug trafficking.

The argument of "monkey see monkey do" is an incredibly short sighted one and pulled completely out of context. Anyone using it generally hasn't really thought much about the situation at all. Which I understand if you're bitching to your friends over a cup of coffee just to have something to talk about, but not if you're seriously discussing the subject with news reporters and such.

So yeah, sorry but the guy is a moron. And I have more to back that up from this article than he has to his claim of this game introducing/encouraging people into drug trafficking.

Rottweiler

Jan 20, 2008
But honestly, where does that chain of faulty logic end? I've seen pundits who claim that Flight Simulators are kamikaze training programs. "Oh no, once kids have seen the fun of crashing a small plane, what is to stop them from growing up, taking thousands of dollars of flight classes and saving up to buy a Cessna, and then crashing into a skyscraper because they once did it when they were eight years old in a video game???"

Anything that simulates anything can be used as an example to make bad decisions. I'm old enough to vividly remember the Dungeons and Dragons controversy, and the 'professionals' who swore up and down it would turn kids into sword-swinging sociopaths.

It was a joke then and honestly it's a joke now. The problem is people want something to blame besides themselves, bad parenting, and lack of responsibility. Video games are just the new Straw Man.

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
First of I am gonna jump up and down a bit crying about it not coming to PC. Ok all done.

Next: Why are people so afraid of controversial games? In this specific case we only have a vague outline and a name. So political commentary, critical questioning and artistic depiction is not allowed for things that are too close to home or too terrifying?

"Six days in Fallujah" was cancelled because of this. It was too fresh or it was unpatriotic or whatever it was they said. I say these are copouts. Thinly veiled attempts to not dealing with the hard questions and truths of our time. Historie has a tendency to repeat itself if we indeed do not deal with them. There is also this thing where people have this thing where we have to honor the troops, the heroic dead and so forth. I agree. But lets not honor them by brushing aside what happened. We need to know and understand how, why and for what they died even if knowing makes us uncomfortable, because in knowing we show that we care. It is very easy to honor a dead soldier when all you know is they died for their country while defending freedom. It gets somewhat harder when you know they died from friendly fire or from some mistake. Only when we know the concequences of what sending people into battle really means can we truelly honor them, otherwise our feeble cheers are only so much hot air.

And that brings us back to the cartel. Here we again are faced with a hot button issue. The are still open wounds. But those wounds will only fester, to continue the imagery, if we do not treat them. just leaving these events go unscrutinized is not the answer. I will say that people are perfectly entitled to be worried I might suggest that people give the creativ minds the benefit of the doubt expecially seeing the quality of the latest game in the series. A truelly beautiful story about good versus evil, innocence lost and found, temptation and sacrifice.

Now on to another point: The glorification of the criminal lifestyle. To be quite honest I can't come up with one game of the top of my head that gloryfies criminal life. I can mention games the parodies criminal behavior and social structure but these are as I say parodies and not to be take seriously by anyone and kids know this (saying anything else is frankly insulting to chldren if you ask me). I can also come up with plenty of games with strong lead characters that seem to enjoy the criminal life but invariable the brutality of the criminal and the horrendous sacrifices that they are called on to make was enough to make me turn to a life of lawfulness. In case people were wondering I was thinking of GTA 3 and all its follow ups for the first catagory with a bit of saints row 2 sprinkled in, for the first catagory and GTA 4, Kane and Lynch and interestingly also saints row 2, for the second catagory. There is also a 3rd catagory that you might call: "Totally over the Top".

It seems to me that it is a general missconception that if a game allows you to do certain moraly wrong things it is implicitly glorifying them. A good example of that I mean is GTA 4 (I really like this game) where you can pick up prostitute, drive to a secluded spot and get down to business. There however is nothing glorious about it. In fact every time you do it Belic says something derogative about himself.

So to sum up: Stop being afraid of every little thing. Stop sweeping your controversies under the rug but instead deal with them in a mature way. This is usually done by shining a bright (or not so bright) light on the issue and then examining it with an open mind. For case studies I suggest watching the movies: "Children of Men" and "V for Vendetta".

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
Why does no one outside of gaming ever get that the "youth" should not be playing these games in the first place and wouldn't if most parents were worth a damn. A game like this WILL have either an 18 BBFC rating or an M ESRB rating or whatever the American equivalent is. This rating doesn't mean that it is the sort of game liked by people who are 18+ or mature, it means it is recommended to be played by people at least that old.

THAC0

Aug 12, 2009
one day i am going to make a video game about a kid who is seduced by violent video games and becomes a killer. the game will then follow the story of the lonewolf detective hunting him down while the kid serves as the final boss.

just to watch the media explode trying to figure out what on earth to say about it.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
OK I know kids are stupid, I know kids are really really stupid, but are they so stupid that they're as easily swayed as everyone seems to think they are?

I don't think so, any kid with half a brain knows that that type of lifestyle is wrong and could get you thrown in jail or killed.

We don't need to baby them all as much as the moral guardians think we do.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
then again, I don't see any songs or movies glorifying the drug trafficking lifestyle, and it's entirely possible this game would.
Uh, what planet do you live on? A century-old genre of norteño music [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcocorrido] and one of the most popular films of all time [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarface_(1983_film)] give the lie to your point here... It's idiotic to maintain that it's fine for these things to be shown in any media excluding videogames.

RatRace123 said:
OK I know kids are stupid, I know kids are really really stupid, but are they so stupid that they're as easily swayed as everyone seems to think they are?

I don't think so, any kid with half a brain knows that that type of lifestyle is wrong and could get you thrown in jail or killed.

We don't need to baby them all as much as the moral guardians think we do.
Yeah, this.

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
I feel like people view gamers as the dumbest and most in-human people in the world. Imitating a drug cartel is not a simple task anyways, it actually would take some thinking skills.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Griffin Herod said:
The man is an idiot, plain and simple.
He's drawing a logical conclusion: That stylizing gang life as "chic" could cause teens to jump on board.

Sure, he's probably wrong, but it doesn't mean he's an idiot.
Making huge assumptions about a game we know next to nothing about, on logic that hasn't proven to be true under non-biased studies, is pretty idiotic in my book.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Texas police are stupid. That is all.

But they shouldn't worry anyway: It's a Ubisoft game, so it won't be terribly fun. If it'll have any effect on people wanting to get into that life, it'll make them not want to get into it because Ubisoft will make it boring.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I understand this man's concern. He's in charge of keeping an extremely violent part of the country/state in line an safe for people to walk the streets in. With a game like this, it most likely will be some bullshit, glorifying game with explosions and all sorts of crap to pander to the Modern Warfare crowd. From the previous newspost on The Cartel, I stated that when they said "It'll deliver a deep, mature story," I instantly called out "BULL. SHIT." because it won't.

That said, I do think he's calling the game out prematurely. We know next to nothing of the game, whether you're in the drug business or whether you're trying to track down someone in the drug business. We'll just have to wait and see what comes of it.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
manythings said:
Griffin Herod said:
The man is an idiot, plain and simple.
The jokes on you, statistics show that 800% of people who played GTA became satan worshipping cannibals.
Don't forget how unsafely they drive.

Also, fucking July? This game is getting crazy low amounts of hype.