Calling all BioWare fans!

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Let's have a little talk about our favorite BioWare characters. After some thought I made a list of my top 10 along with a little explanation as to why. After you read my list, make your own and post it, if you're so inclined. Happy reminiscing!

10. Sir Roderick Ponce von Fontlebottom, the Magnificent Bastard (Jade Empire)
"Percival! Fluff my travelling trousers!"

The stuffy English adventurer played by the peerless John Cleese is one of the reasons why I love Jade Empire. It's more than just his ridiculously awesome name. I mean, his breastplate has a cheese fork on it! He constantly argues with the scholarly philosophers of the Jade Empire of the cultural differences of East vs. West, and whenever he loses the arguments he simply shoots his opponent with his gun. How awesome is that? The whole segment with John Cleese as Roderick Ponce von Fontlebottom the Magnificent Bastard is a pure joy to experience, and I couldn't help but imagine Sir Lancelot from Monty Python and the Holy Grail standing in his place . You take up Roderick's intellectual and physical challenges, and if you win you can claim his awesome arquebus named "Mirabelle" as your own. The introduction of a gun to the world of magic and martial arts pretty much has the effect you'd expect. BANG!

9. Bastila Shan (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic)
"Fun? FUN?! Your idea of a good time is driving me up the wall?!"

I maintain that, despite all the awesome work Jennifer Hale has done for BioWare, this is by far her best performance. A brash, arrogant British Jedi with Kate Beckinsale's face is a straightaway ticket to an awesome love interest, and Bastila delivers (even if you never see that freaking kiss). The fact that your romance with Bastila can play out in two extremely different ways, and is tied together with the end of the story is an excellent twist in an already awesome game. The BioWare devs paid a lot more attention to the Bastila romance than the Carth romance and how it would fit in the overall story, I think. Some intrepid modders have even made Bastila susceptible to female advances as well...
Bastila is responsible for making me be a sucker for chicks with British accents.

8. Tali'Zorah vas Normandy nar Rayya (Mass Effect series)
"I've watched you for so long, and I would have never imagined that you would ever see past...this."

If there was a fairytale princess in Mass Effect, it would be Tali'Zorah vas Normandy nar Rayya... at least to me. This princess just happens to be packing a shotgun. Tali is brave and plucky, but she also has a vulnerable and emotional side that gave her a nice character dichotomy, especially in Mass Effect 2. Tali's loyalty mission in ME2 also helped round out her character by exposing some deep flaws for her. She is utterly convinced that the Quarians need to go to war with the Geth and reclaim the Quarian homeworld, despite both races needing to be at full strength to fight the coming Reaper invasion. This was one of the times when I found myself favoring Legion's perspective in some regards over Tali's. What struck me most about Tali's romance option is that it mirrored a past relationship of my own."Looking past the mask" to find a girl who is head-over-heels in love with you is a powerful experience when you first encounter it, and I was happy to see it again in Tali's case. I also like to think that it was a relationship two games in the making, and it made it seem much more genuine than the relationships in the first game. They just seemed too...rushed.
I'm looking forward to seeing how Mass Effect 3 will finish the story Tali'Zorah and William Shepard.

7. Dr. Liara T'Soni (Mass Effect series)
"So tell me what you want, Shepard. What are you fighting for?"

Tali was originally meant for this spot on my list, but that was before the recent "Lair if the Shadow Broker" DLC for Mass Effect 2. With this new installment, which can be a nice transition between Mass Effects 2 & 3, Liara was fleshed out for me as one of the most complex characters in the series, with the most pronounced character arc of the entire cast. From the naïve, shy scientist you rescue in the first game, she eventually matures into a driven (some would say ruthless) information broker and biotic expert in the two year hiatus between the Mass Effect games. She pursues a vendetta against the powerful and enigmatic Shadow Broker for kidnapping both Shepard's corpse and her Drell friend Feron two years before.
With Shepard's help, they track down and defeat the Shadow Broker's agents and eventually the Shadow Broker himself. Once he is defeated, Liara assumes the position as the new Shadow Broker! At the moment of her triumph, her tough exterior cracks and she breaks down, her "humanity" comes through again. She looked like she was sacrificing her own life in taking up the Shadow Broker's mantle, and in many ways she was. Her old life is over now, and she will perpetually operate a galaxy-wide web of information. She also joins you on the Normandy following the operation, and you reminisce about the past and think about the coming war with the Reapers. It was perhaps one of the most "real" dialogues I've seen in the game. "Lair of the Shadow Broker" was a story full of utterly believable dialogue and banter that stood head and shoulders over the rest of the conversations in the game. THAT IS REALLY SAYING SOMETHING.
Despite my "canon" playthrough has Tali as my romance, I'm definitely considering starting up a long term Liara relationship on a different playthrough. For all those who remained true to Liara before this newest DLC: kudos. Here's your well-deserved reward.

6. Sun Li, the Glorious Strategist (Jade Empire)
"It does me good to know that you have kept the basics at heart. And...THE FLAWS!"

Is some ways, the plot twist in Jade Empire was even better than Knights of the Old Republic. Your kindly old master, who had raised you as his own and taught you everything you knew, whom you and your friends were trying to rescue up to that point, was supposed to be grateful that you rescued him from the grasp of the evil and corrupt Emperor. Instead, he betrays and murders you. He steals the power of the Water Dragon again, and takes your Spirit Amulet to hasten his deification.
Few episodes in gaming stunned me as when Master Li betrays you. Then, as you wander in the realm of the dead, everything begins to fall into place. Everything that Sun Li had done for the last 20 years, and some of the events of the game itself, had led up to this moment. You were merely a pawn in his grand strategy of wreaking revenge on his brother the Emperor, and taking the Water Dragon's power for himself. He went from a father-figure to an insidious villain in a single stroke. I honestly don't think a gaming betrayal had affected me as much as Sun Li's. When you finally confront him, his promises of immortal glory in his new world order-if you submit to death-was a unique step that BioWare had taken in conflict resolution. It was a game where you could choose to lose. Sun Li is a truly unique and fantastic villain.

5. Minsc (& Boo) (Baldur's Gate series)
"Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details." *squeak!*

Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn can be a dark, grim game if you let it get to you. Fortunately, you need look no further for much needed comic relief than the goofy hulking berserker Minsc and his pet hamster Boo, whom Minsc is convinced is a "miniature giant space hamster". Whatever that is. Minsc and Boo are some of the most iconic characters in any BioWare game. Minsc is constantly striving to be a great hero, and wants to kill evil with his giant sword in many creative, ass-kicking ways. He also refers to Boo's "wisdom" on many occasions. For a character with an Intelligence of 6, he'd better! If you go against his decided brand of heroism, Minsc tells you: "Feel the burning stare of my hamster and change your ways!"
And as for Boo, he's a part of a nice little easter egg. Just look for the pet shop on the Citadel in Mass Effect 2 to see how. While on the subject of comic reliefs...

4. HK-47 (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic series)
"Statement: My thoughts exactly, master. One dead meatbag, coming up!"

The hilariously evil version of Minsc, HK-47 is more bloodthirsty, more biting, more over-the-top, and funnier than the berserker could ever be. Always quick to interject into a conversation with a smartass quip or with input on how to kill the person you're talking to, the assassin droid gave my Light Side Revan a hilarious glimpse of the evil world that he was missing. HK-47 lived for killing things, and it didn't matter what it was. Stuffy and indignant out of battle and murderously malevolent in it, he was always in my party, despite my own alignment. His stories of all the past masters that died gruesome deaths because of him were all wickedly funny. In terms of the original KOTOR, I can think of no complaints for HK-47. He's the perfect comic relief.

And who doesn't love their enemies being called meatbags as they are taken out at 120 meters with an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope?

3. Jon Irenicus (Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn)
"Silence, dog. You have no purpose but to die by my hand."

Sometimes, a villain is SO villainous that you can't help wanting to be that villain. That was just the case for Jon Irenicus, the main antagonist in Baldur's Gate II and greatest villain the BioWare has ever devised, in my opinion. Superbly voiced by Shakespearean actor David Werner, Jon Irenicus' malevolence is top-notch. This cold, calculating spellcaster deals out death faster than a nuclear bomb (and some of his spells might even look like one too), even single handedly taking on army of opposing wizards at the same time.
The opening dungeon of the game is his prison/lab/fortress that you must escape from, and the level alone shows Irenicus' depravity. You see slaves, wicked servants, half-mad clones, portals to other dimensions, and a former friend left forgotten in a state of half-death on life support. I've never seen a better exposition as to "this is who you face" than this . As you track Irenicus through the course of the game, he visits you in dreams and argues his own twisted worldview and the reasons why you must lose yourself in your heritage. And I found myself agreeing with him more often than not, even as he rationalized his tendency for indiscriminant slaughter . And I hated myself for it.
Irenicus' motive was what almost every villain wants: revenge and power. He ultimately wants to kill a god and take his powers. However, the presentation of his character is what really put him in a new class of villainy. From the opening presentation of his lair, to eventually fighting him in Hell itself, Jon Irenicus proved to be the perfect example of a sick, calculating, brilliant villain. I've yet to see a villain quite as "good" as him.

2. Darth Revan (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic)
"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan..."

And that quote from Darth Malak pretty much sums up Darth Revan. We all know the plot twist in Knights of The Old Republic. Yeah, you're an amnesiac Sith Lord and Malak's old master. Oh shit. Putting a character of your own creation that you thought was just a random soldier/jedi into an entirely new position was one of the strong-points of Revan's story. Obviously most people take this revelation in stride with the morality they've had up to that point, but I have a friend who played a Light Side character, then switched over to the Dark Side once he found out about his past. It's one of the rare points in even rarer decision-based RPG's where a total character break from past morality is integrated into the story itself. People can switch from being a goody-goody to an asshole all the time, but there are almost no points in such RPG's where such a break is...encouraged.
While Revan was also one of the stock BioWare mute protagonists, there was also a lot of humor in many of Revan's lines, mainly with HK-47 dialogues. It just took a bit of imagination to flesh them out a-la Mass Effect, and they actually gave Revan a voice in combat. Using that, you can try transposing that into, but there are some aspects of that format that didn't work, like when Revan will say something sarcastically but it can be confused to be said in earnest. Still, this is a minor gripe. Overall, Knights of the Old Republic and Revan are legendary parts of Star Wars, and it's little wonder that Darth Revan is ranked by IGN as the 12th most important Star Wars character of all time, beating out the likes of Jabba the Hutt, C-3PO, Qui-Gon Jinn and Emperor Palpatine, and is himself just behind Lando Calrissian, of all people!

http://www.ign.com/star-wars-characters/12.html

1. Commander Shepard (Mass Effect series)
"I should go..."

BioWare truly broke the mold when they came up with the idea of Commander Shepard. Here was a character that you could build from the ground up in almost every regard, from gender to face to background, and then give him/her a voice for every single choice in the game. Seriously, I'm not sure exactly how long they had Jennifer Hale and Mark Meer in the recording studio for Commander Shepard, but I bet it must have felt like an actual full-time job. The addition of vocals to choice-based RPG's was pioneered in Mass Effect, and (I think) came close to perfection in Mass Effect 2. The only thing they could have done better is having multiple characters talk at once, and not the back-and-forth style all the time.
Anyway, the addition of a voice made my time with Shepard that much more immersive and appealing. It truly felt like a I was living Shepard's life, and it also made Shepard into a fuller character overall, even if it was with the mindset that you built by your actions. And that is why Shepard is my favorite BioWare character of all time: the utter customizability of his/her story, coupled with a continuation of your custom mindset over multiple games (that is, if you want it that way. Going renegade in Mass Effect 2 after a paragon Mass Effect is fun too) is testament to BioWare's peerless ability to tell a good story through gaming. And right now, Commander Shepard's story is the one that I'm eagerly awaiting the conclusion to in 2012. And then I'll make another Shepard and play an entirely different way. And it will be just as awesome as my first playthrough. Not many games ( let alone serieses, for that matter) can boast that.

Thanks a lot for reading. Now, make your own lists of your favorite BioWare characters! I'm interested to see who you like most from this iconic studio.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
I agree with you on Commander Shepard, it was a stroke of genius to let us create him/her. I enjoyed the game all the more because of it.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I loved Sun Li.. You play through the whole game trying to save him, and you actually think "Awesome, I beat the emperor, time to see the ending!" and then bam.

But the most amazing thing about him is just the breadth of his influence on you. He trained you to be completely unstoppable in combat. He gave you an ALMOST perfect defense. Everyone you fight says how you seem to have a glaring weakness, but whenever they try and use it to attack, it's not there, and they praise you for your brilliant feint. But in actuality that weakness was trained into you just so that Sun Li could kill you with a single attack in his pinnacle moment.

But you made this list and didn't include Kang the Mad, who was absolutely the greatest character in any game ever, so your list is null and void.

"Now, if something were to happen to Gao the Greater... such as... falling down a flight of punches..?"

"His flying machine? HIS FLYING MACHINE!? Hrmph.... *make his sandals explode..*

"My new invention! Banana shaped bombs! Stop thieves, Monkeys, and Monkey Thieves in one fell swoop!"

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Altorin said:
But you made this list and didn't include Kang the Mad, who was absolutely the greatest character in any game ever, so your list is null and void.

"Now, if something were to happen to Gao the Greater... such as... falling down a flight of punches..?"

"His flying machine? HIS FLYING MACHINE!? Hrmph.... *make his sandals explode..*

"My new invention! Banana shaped bombs! Stop thieves, Monkeys, and Monkey Thieves in one fell swoop!"
As good as Kang the Mad was, he just didn't stand up to Minsc and HK-47 in terms of comic reliefness for me. I'd like to see how your list turns out.

Jump on my sword while you can, Evil! I won't be as gentle!

Translation: He says that we must make a show of good faith. We must bring him a water vaporator to make peace. Shall I blast him now, master?"

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Altorin said:
I loved Sun Li.. You play through the whole game trying to save him, and you actually think "Awesome, I beat the emperor, time to see the ending!" and then bam.

But the most amazing thing about him is just the breadth of his influence on you. He trained you to be completely unstoppable in combat. He gave you an ALMOST perfect defense. Everyone you fight says how you seem to have a glaring weakness, but whenever they try and use it to attack, it's not there, and they praise you for your brilliant feint. But in actuality that weakness was trained into you just so that Sun Li could kill you with a single attack in his pinnacle moment.
Completely agree. I spent that whole game looking forward to getting to Li and rescuing him, and then that happened. There was no warning, at all, but when you look back it becomes more and more obvious what was happening. Jade Empire is by far away my favourite Bioware game. Also, Master Li destroying that ship at the start was so damn cool.

Where the fuck is Jade Empire 2?

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
Drizzt Do'Urden
Made an elf by the same name and he ended up kicking my ass in baldur's gate 2.

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
No one from Origins made the list? Not Oghren? Not Liliana? Not Sten? Come on, those guys were awesome!

The list was okay. I don't know if Shepard should be on the list seeing as how he's such a huge variable (It's like putting The Lone Wanderer on a list of the best characters of all time...), but I did like Tali a lot. I do think that Wrex, Garrus, and Mordin were all better characters than Liara, however.

Winfrid

Oct 21, 2008
This woman had power, of a sort. She lost her parents to plague, her husband to war, but she persevered. She was well respected, her farm was prosperous and her children were well fed. And now she's dead.

Quillbell

Apr 9, 2009
Yay Bioware thread! I've been a Bioware fan ever since I picked up the original KOTOR (though I did like KOTOR 2 a bit better, for all its broken-ness). Bioware is one of the only companies that consistantly creates awesome RPGs with well-written stories and characters, which as a bonus let me play as my own gender for which I am pathetically greatful.

Also, why is there no Garrus on the list? Definitely one of my favourite ME characters, Garrus+Tali+Vanguard!Shepard kicks so much ass.

Therefore to rectify, some of my favourite Bioware Characters that have not already been talked about, in no particular order, I love 'em all (I'm also going to restrict it to one character per game, or else we'll be here all day).

Garrus Vakarian (Mass Effect 1/2): My Shepard's right hand man in both mass effect games, I loved the progression from the mentoring relationship in #1 to #2 where they stand on pretty much equal ground. After all the emotional turmoil that marks Shepard's return in ME2 it's nice to know that Garrus has got my back.

Atton Rand (KOTOR 2): Before I played the game I figured that Atton would be Carth all over again, and he is in a way. He plays the same kind of role, but doesn't take everything nearly as seriously as Carth did, which I found very refreshing. Actually, now that I think about it your companions in that game did a lot of snarking from the sidelines (I'm looking at you Kreia).

Lelliana (Dragon Age): Lelliana's a sweetheart, I loved her personal mission and backstory and genuinely wanted to help her out. The friendship between her and my grey warden was one of my favourite parts of the game.

Black Whirlwind (Jade Empire): Now some may say that BW is a poor man's Minsc, but when I played Jade Empire I found him hilarious. Even after not playing the game for years, he remains one of the strongist memories I have of it (as well as other things already mentioned by the OP, I also loved John Cleese as Sir Roderick Ponce von Fontlebottom).

Jolee Bindo (KOTOR): KOTOR was probably my first WRPG ever, and I loved it to death. One of my favourites from that game is the "grey" jedi Jolee, who not only raises a lot of questions about the Force as more than good vs evil (which would be expanded upon in the sequel), but was a very interesting character in his own right. I loved the way he played up the "crotchety old man" archetype, but always managed by the end of his stories to say something truly profound, as well as pay a few backhanded compliments.

This is by no means a complete list, and quite a few of my favourites were already listed by the OP, but I tried to list some of the most memorable (for me) Bioware characters.

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
I agree with your list, although I would also add Carth Onasi/Thane Krios (because really, they're kind of the same character). There's an interesting play on the sort of effeminate masculinity with both of them that you don't find much in video game characters.

Also I would add Alistair to that list, because seriously, he's extraordinarily endearing. I honestly think the only reason some people don't like him is because he reminds them too much of themselves >.> (for what it's worth - in my opinion, being a cute, idealistic, nerdy and sometimes awkward virgin is not a bad thing at all)

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I agree that Garrus Vakarian should be on that list. He's Shepherd's right-hand man (or, uh, I guess right-hand Turian would be more accurate) - I just never felt right going out on a mission without him. It was interesting how in the first game, your own behavior molded him so much - into either a great Paragon hero, or a ruthless Renegade badass. And Shepherd's greatness rubs right off on him as we see him become leader of his own mercenary gang, even though he seems to kind of become a Renegade by default (but wouldn't you if one of your own squadmates betrayed you and left you for dead?)

And another character that would definitely be on my own list is Mordin Solus. Awesome for simply being the only Salarian in Shepherd's crew, he shows that the amphibious nerds can hold their own fighting with Krogan and Turians. And even better, he's both hilarious (with the Gilbert & Sullivan bit, among others) and interesting (with his work on the Krogan Genophage)

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Not particularly in any order.

Baldur's Gate: Yes Minsc and Boo make my list.

Baldur's Gate 2: Jan Jansen, combining with Minsc as a hilarious dynamic duo, his attempts to wrest Boo from Minsc were a highlight of the games for me.

Baldur's Gate 2: Lilarcor, the magical sword. I'm an intelligent sword but I've had no formal education.

NWN: Shadows of Undrentide: The heroes came within sight of the big, nasty evil person at last! Their doom was at hand! Doom! Doom, Doom, Doooooom! Dooom!... Ummm Boss? People don't like him, but I love him, Deekin Scalesinger he made the two NWN expansions worth playing.

Kotor: HK-47 I guess, I usually never took any ranged characters in my party, oh let's say Bastilla instead.

Mass Effect: Wrex, he is such a pragmatist. I'm just disapointed he was so pleased to see you in ME2, I wish Shepard had gone up to him and said "Wrex." and he had replied "Shepard." before doing the whole pleased to see you thing.

Dragon Age: Shale for sure, more than any of the others I wanted Shale's approval.

Mass Effect 2: Mordin Solus, I liked his guilt at what he had done with the genophage, yet knew it had to be done.

I wasn't that enamoured with Jade Empire, I saw that twist coming from the begining of the game, Kang the Mad was pretty fun, damn SHMUP sections though.