Calvin and Hobbes

tirone231

Jul 11, 2009
I learned that almost any household chore your father gives you...mostly snow shoveling...will build character. that, and the fact that "BATS AREN'T BUGS"!!!!

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
Agreed that Tracer Bullet is the best alter ego.
"I keep 2 magnums in my desk. One's a gun and I keep it loaded. Other's a bottle and it keeps me loaded"

'nuff said

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
Hmm, it would appear I was in the same situation. As a little kid I loved Calvin and Hobbes, and I read all the compilations. I discontinued reading them, but recently I found one of those books in the back of my closet, and it was fun to read it again, but it didn't make me laugh like it used to.

However, instead of finding it funny, I found it touching, and moving. More of the life lessons actually got through to me, instead of flying miles above my head.

So, on my recent read through, it made me smile, rather than laugh. Still, just as good.

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
I absolutely adore Calvin and Hobbes. One of the things I will invest in will be a compilation of all of them and I will make my children read them. I love the sequence where they have the Transfiguration Gun..."Great, now which one of us is Calvin and which one is Hobbes."

boyitsme95

Feb 26, 2008
Love - noun. The feeling present when exposed to or reminising about "Calvin and Hobbes."
That is definitly my favorite comic series of all time. Hands down.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I'm not sure why, but for some reason I see Calvin and Hobbes as -more- than just a simple comic.

It just...transcends

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
I think the fact that Watterson never sold out has made a huge difference. Compare it to Garfield, for Chrissake.

Snuggle

Apr 28, 2009
Calvin & Hobbes is probably one of the best comic series I've read. It's hilarious and sometimes even philosophical.

dsau

Apr 15, 2009
iv learned that life ends when your five, because after that its school and work, and on the weekends and afternoons you watch TV

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Homicidal Hobbes said:
It always struck me as a comic secretly for adults. Atleast, I feel like I get more from reading it now than the giggles I got as a kid. I like the idea using a childs innocence to question adult topics or even just little ones.

Anyway, I'm sure you can tell I'm a fan of sorts.
I think this almost completely fills in my opinion of it. Except one thing about it was I don't ever think it was "secretly" a comic for adults. I think it was, much like Pogo was back in the 50s and 60s, a comic for the adult reader that the editors always thought was for kids. It's a pretty common failure on the part of most reasonable people to look at a comic and see "comic=for kids." I read it when I was a tiny little kid, and I know that I needed a lot of the words Calvin used to be explained to me.

Or, alternatively, it was a just a comic strip, which means it wasn't for kids or adults, it just was for whoever read it.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
CaH, Peanuts, and Footrot Flats are all equally epic. I've never found another comedy comic that's even nearly as good.

Sigel

Jul 6, 2009
Calvin and Hobbes taught me- There is always an escape route if you look hard enough and think outside the box a.k.a. your room.

To always treat new foods with fear and suspicion until proven trustworthy or at least edible.

Finally, tiger attacks can happen anywhere and at anytime.

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
I heard that metatr0n guy likes it. We should ask him what he thinks.

I loved it. Own the majority of the collections, and the strip ended on such a high note that I can't help but think fondly of it.