Can a Vegetarian eat fish?

Legendel

Jun 26, 2008
Can a Vegetarian eat fish? Simple question... my brother is one of these you see.
But it seems people are split viewed on this. Wether or not fish is a meat (I think it is personally). I have been reading other forums and no one seems to have a majority decision. Some come up with strange names for them or just hypocrite (one of my favourite ones). But the point is there seems to be a split between those who think it is morally wrong to eat any animal and those who just dislike eating meats.

Let me know what you think, I'd like to get this solved this once and for all.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Unless fish have miraculously become plant matter, I'm going to have to say no on this one.

"Vegetarian" is frequently used as shorthand for "I don't eat beef or chicken," though it really shouldn't be.

jezz8me

Mar 27, 2008
Vegetarians should not eat fish it is hypocritical. If they think it is wrong to eat animals but then eat a fish they are going against their word.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Vegans. Vegetarians. Omnivores. Carnivores.

Look these terms up in a dictionary or the Wikipedia.

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
Vegetarianism generally accepts pescetarians, lacto-vegetarians (dairy), ovo-vegetarians (eggs) and lacto-ovo-vegetarians under it's umbrella. It's vegans that don't allow for any animal porducts, (yes, honey is an animal product). There's also a set of semi-vegetarians, who don't eat...um, hoofed meat, but eat eggs and fish and chicken and other birds and dairy products too. And there's another group that eats anything up to birds, but I'm not sure what they're called, something after "poultry" like poulo-vegetarians. If you ask me, I honestly think that only the vegans can really be considered vegetarians, they and the fruitarians, vegetarian/vegan raw-foodists, and juicers. Everyone else is still eating meat or animal products.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
First thought upon reading this: "Seriously?"
Second thought "SERIOUSLY??"

But yeah, the Name states already that Vegetarians don't eat ANY kind of meat. People who don't eat beef or chicken are "people who don't eat beef or chicken"

CrazyBerk

Jul 1, 2008
That's stupid as hell! Of course a vegetarian can't eat fish, it's an animal! Gah

Chiasm

Aug 27, 2008
It depends on the persons view on my why they don't eat meat. I know some refuse on the basis of how the animal is treated or for a healthier diet or so on and that would be a big factor. As Vegetarian does not mean what it literally means these days as it depends on the person and why they are refusing to eat meat. So why not just ask the person why also some Vegans will eat cheese and drink milk and others wont it's all a personal factor.

slowpoke219

Jun 30, 2008
Can one be a meatatarian and refuse to eat vegetables because of how they are inhumanely grown and slaughtered.

mightysteve

May 18, 2008
Someone who doesnt eat meat because they believe it's morally wrong obviously shouldn't eat fish (clearly if they do, they're veggie because it's trendy). Many people however choose a vegetarian lifestyle because in some respects it's exceptionally healthy (regular consumption of red meat presents several health risks, largely due to the saturated fat content [wiki :p]). These ones generally eat fish because it's a lot more healthy.
I personally find moral vegetarians very iritating (almost all arguments I've heard for it are very weak and generally boil down to an 'aren't the animals cute' mentality). I can completley respect vegetarians who dont eat meat for health reasons though, and would consider it myself if those cute animals weren't so damned tasty.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I hate the double-standards & hypocrisy of some so called vegetarians towards fish. Let's not kill cute fluffy animals but killing fish is ok.

I've know a few vegetarians who are dead set against eating land animals & slaughterhouses, but who eat Tuna.
I'd like to take them on a Tuna fishing/factory ship & let them see first hand how these "cows of the sea" are hooked, strung up & gutted. I think they're not even aware of the size of Tuna & how they are processed.

The only fish-eating vegetarians I can tolerate are the ones who don't eat meat for dietary reasons, but can stomach fish, as long as they don't mount their moral high horse.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
This person I know says shes a vegetarian and then eats beef... and I'm just like well you're not a vegetarian are you? Let's be honest. I don't understand why people do this. Maybe it's fashionable or something but if you're a vegetarians then be a vegetarian.

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
I know a few "vegetarians" who eat fish, but really, it's not as sinister or moronic as you all are making it out to be.

The fact is that pescetarian has not entered regular useage, but most people understand the term vegetarian. This is important in places like diners or other people's houses or really anywhere where you'll have to explain your eating habits but don't feel like itemizing the dos and don'ts.

And many, many vegetarians eat that way for health reasons. I have one friend who draws faces on his veggie-burger so that he can pretend that he's eating something that used to be alive. Lots of them don't give a damn about the cuddly animals.

- J

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
- Don't hurt the dolphins, they get caught in the tuna nets!
- What about the tuna?
- Well fuck them, they taste great. (slightly paraphrased from memory)

God I love Denis Leary.

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
Thais post=18.70671.698915 said:
Vegetarianism generally accepts pescetarians, lacto-vegetarians (dairy), ovo-vegetarians (eggs) and lacto-ovo-vegetarians under it's umbrella. It's vegans that don't allow for any animal porducts, (yes, honey is an animal product). There's also a set of semi-vegetarians, who don't eat...um, hoofed meat, but eat eggs and fish and chicken and other birds and dairy products too. And there's another group that eats anything up to birds, but I'm not sure what they're called, something after "poultry" like poulo-vegetarians. If you ask me, I honestly think that only the vegans can really be considered vegetarians, they and the fruitarians, vegetarian/vegan raw-foodists, and juicers. Everyone else is still eating meat or animal products.
This just fuels even more my theory that vegans have a depressing life...

Some refuse to eat "hoofed" meat but eat fish, chikins and eggs ? by Jove, what has science done ?

FLSH_BNG

May 27, 2008
A vegetarian is a person who does not eat meat of any kind (for whatever reason), and since fish is considered meat, they won't eat that either.

Jesus these people are missing out!

And another thing!... vegetarian is a term used to describe ANY animal that eats ONLY plants... when was the last time you saw a horse eat a rabbit??

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
I believe Kurt Cobain once sang... "It's okay to eat fish, 'cause they don't have any feelings." ;-)