Can Americans Make Anime?

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
When I use the word 'anime', I mean animation that was produced/animated in Japan and usually made with that language. (most of this stuff is animated in Korea anyway, I think)

It's not about style, it's the country where it was from.
So by that definition, a show made in the US (or written and produced, I guess) cannot by definition be anime.

It can be heavily influenced by Japanese works, and popular genres, such as shonen, though.

I think this is the problem people have; some people use different definitions. I've met people who got upset when Avatar was called 'anime', not because they didn't like it, but because either the person using the term thought the series was japanese, or was in their opinion misusing the term.

I get a bit upset if people think Avatar is Japanese. Not because I think anime is inherently superior or anything, but I dislike misinformation being spread.

There are certain things that are more common in anime than most western animated series that I'd like the US cartoons to emulate more than the visual style; the continuous story, or at least more episode-to-episode continuity.

Chibitiza

Sep 25, 2012
Disclaimer: I'm very sorry to any or all of you whom I've insulted from the analogies, racism, or my imitation of Yahtzee's writing style or any of you gamers. I've just discovered this site and went on a massive archive binge on the Zero Punctuation videos with Yahtzee's voice stuck in my head despite being Asian.

Basic Question is answered: Yes, we can make a cartoon show (i.e. Legend of Korra) that can be defined as "Anime" by its art style.

However the problem child with the debate is the origin of said show.

For a long time, Japan has viewed us as a country who citizens are zealots to Live Action TV dramas,Football games and Survivor style game shows, and the gamers are American punks who love to play shooters and ignore the rest like anything that was a family relative to CoD was instantly lovable and games coming from Japan were the twice removed cousins from that hillbilly place that everyone hates or doesn't even know about.

Meanwhile on the other hand, America views Japan (or any other country randomly located in Asia) as a cool awesome exotic world which they would like to go to but can't because: A) Learning their language is so difficult as learning calculus with severe brain damage B) Every time they try to connect with the locals, they always insult them offhandedly C)Can't understand why everything is so cute and fuzzy, as if they can't live without seeing someone getting into a fistfight in public everyday and coming out looking like they've committed 1st degree murder.

Analogies done, Any imitation anime from USA imported to Japan has been considered a stigma of Japan and their pride (for how could they have let such a horrible animation into their country and mock them). Japan is still honor bound with the way of the samurai having come out of its isolationist shell from WWII, so it makes sense for them to shun anything foreign and keep everything to themselves. A good example would be the gaming company Capcom and its franchise series: Monster Hunter. (To Capcom: Can you at least stick with a solid decision on whether or not to export the da** games?) The reason why Japan is so hesitant to accept foreign media (except for something ground breaking like Disney, that they can relate to because of their affection for cuteness and its worldwide significance) is the differences in their values.

So the big Q to this thread now is: "Can America make an 'Anime' that can have good viewer reception in Japan?"

Taylor Pitts

Nov 20, 2012
YES!!! THAT WOULD BE AMAZIN! As much as i love japanese culture, i think it would be nice to have american culture in an animated show for a change. ^^ I like watching anime dubbed; that way i pretend that the characters are in america lol I think we could do it, I just don't think anybody is willing to put in as much hard work as Japanese animators do xD

american shows that are somewhat anime-ish:
Winx Club
Teen Titans
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

also avatar and the legend of kora but i guess they don't really count since we didn't animate them...

still, I wish there was an american anime X3

Taylor Pitts

Nov 20, 2012
YES!!! THAT WOULD BE AMAZIN! As much as i love japanese culture, i think it would be nice to have american culture in an animated show for a change. ^^ I like watching anime dubbed; that way i pretend that the characters are in america lol I think we could do it, I just don't think anybody is willing to put in as much hard work as Japanese animators do xD

american shows that are somewhat anime-ish:
Winx Club
Teen Titans
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

also avatar and the legend of kora but i guess they don't really count since we didn't animate them...

still, I wish there was an american anime X3