Can an american explain me their view on their military?

Phaerim

Sep 15, 2010
Sorry for the weird title. Well obviously I am not american myself, and some people might find this post a little weird. I have been thinking about this for some time now. Well here is the thing;

Browsing pages such as 4chan.org, imgur and reddit.com, I find people making fun of basicly everything. Except one thing. The US Military. Everytime its about them it all about heroes, "oorah" (some kind of Marine slogan?) and thanks.

Being born in a country with conscription (Denmark), being in the military really isn't that big a deal. Was in the Army Fire Deparmtent myself. Many males of the danish population has been in the military for a certain amount of time, so the military isn't really that much of an romantic institution. It's just a job.

But during my travels last year in the US, and also on the internet, the military is almost sacred. Every word of criticism is met with harsh reprisals, and sorry to say so, but I just don't get it.

Anyways, what I am most curious about is why it is this way? It's not that I think anythings wrong with it, but I must admit that the praise and respect seems a bit excessive in my eyes. Being a hero (which americans use a lot when talking about their troops) in my country is something you have to earn through action. Not by just signing up.

I'm curious, so if any american browsing the site could spare a few minutes to tell me why they pay their respects, it would be much appreciated.

Matt Oliver

Mar 15, 2011
a. its Horrah, just a way to say sure,fine,good for you, etc, and we americans hold our military in the highest standard, aside from a few nutjobs aka Westboro Baptist Church.
We are thankful that they have risked their lives to keep us safe. We destroy anyone who says shit about the armed forces! They are war heroes each and every single one of them.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
I think the main reason I and other fellow Americans have such reverence for our military is the large amounts of difficulty it requires to actually get to be a part of. Ask anyone in the military, and they will confirm that boot camp is really tough. So, in completing boot camp (be it for the marines, army, air force, etc), you have essentially placed yourself in the ranks of the elite who have braved and conquered their own weaknesses, and acquired a discipline only the military could offer. Also, I heard it's mad easy to get girls after you're in, so there's that.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
You see we dont have to join the Military so everyone who does gets our respect. They volunteer to sacrifice themselves so that the average joe doesn't have to. And the average US soldier is much more likely to do so than the average Danish soldier because like it or not we are the biggest kid on the block and that means that we get dragged into shit. Sometimes we drag ourselves in and sometimes we get dragged in by others but we do find our military getting shot at more than pretty much anyone else. And I respect the people who volunteer to do so. And also its funny to watch the inter service rivalry.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
I think it's in part because it's an all-volunteer military, and in part because of our pride in our military tradition. In the grand scheme of things we're a very militaristic country - one of the first subjects on our national history our kids are taught about is our revolutionary war, and so on. So I think you could make a pretty good case that elements of that militarism (glorification of the military, etc) pervade our culture. That attitude you describe is one I have as well - I'd be lying if I told you I don't default to respecting a member of the armed forces.

superstringz

Jul 6, 2010
For the US, being in the military is not a job. Its a lifestyle. I'm not sure how Denmark runs its military, but with ours, we break the civilian in order to make the soldier. You will never hear a marine say "I'm in the Marine Corp"; he says "I am a Marine." We've been constantly at war with somebody for quite some time now, so the odds are the soldier/sailor in question has been deployed.

Devin Kelly

Apr 19, 2011
Americans are generally proud of their military.

I myself have friends and family in the military.

Of course, there's a lot of nations who love their military. I don't see the U.S. being particularly special in that regard, other than our military is really freakin' huge compared to other nations.

In Denmark, Military conscription is a fact of life. To Americans, we volunteer our service. I guess we just appreciate the idea that our soldiers/servicemen volunteered rather than were conscripted? Can't say, really.

All I know is that the military saved my cousin from himself. And for that, I am thankful.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Matt Oliver said:
a. its Horrah, just a way to say sure,fine,good for you, etc, and we americans hold our military in the highest standard, aside from a few nutjobs aka Westboro Baptist Church.
We are thankful that they have risked their lives to keep us safe. We destroy anyone who says shit about the armed forces! They are war heroes each and every single one of them.
Personally, I think the war in Iraq is a massive waste of resources. But I will never, NEVER talk shit about the military, mostly the soldiers. They have my utmost respect.

Churchee

Jul 25, 2011
Firs
Matt Oliver said:
Actually it depends on what branch. Marines: Ooh-Rah, Army: Hoo-Ah, Navy: Hoo-Yah, and the Airforce just gives a thumbs up.

But the reason we revere the military the way we do in America is because as stated earlier by other people they volunteer to fight and possibly die for our freedom and for the American way.

JB1528

Mar 17, 2009
You said it yourself, the American military is not conscripted. Currently the US military is made up of 100% volunteers, and entirely professional army. So considering the fact that no one is forced into combat people seem to respect the fact that these guys willingly join the military knowing there's a good chance they will be sent to a combat zone and have to risk their lives.

That and the fact that the country was created through military means.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Phaerim said:
Being a hero (which americans use a lot when talking about their troops) in my country is something you have to earn through action. Not by just signing up.
Ah but you see in our country we don't have conscription. You have to bear in mind that in the US, service is voluntary. So even the act of signing up is an uncommon gesture that most people would avoid. I don't think you properly appreciate what that means. Any profession such as fireman or police officer where people regularly put their life on the line for others is going to warrant most people's respect. And nobody puts their life on the line with as much regularity as a soldier. It's a dangerous job and we who are civilians benefit from their undertaking it, so we are appreciative.

There's also probably some reactionary elements in it towards our behavior as a country at the end of the Vietnam war. People treated the soldiers coming home from it very badly refusing them work and so on, while the people who sent them to war got second terms in office. I think we've come to realize the people to be mad at are the higher ups, and there might be some guilt over that, though the proper anger doesn't always transmit.

I personally don't approve of using the armed forces for political or predatory purposes. And not every soldier conducts themselves heroically in other countries, some sign up for the wrong reasons as well. But the vast majority of soldiers are honorable folks doing something I wouldn't want to and I have that option because of them. I don't know how often the dutch find themselves at war, but the US has a fair number of warhawk politicians ready to squander lives and resources and our soldiers put themselves in a position where there is a good chance they will be deprived of their loved ones or sent into violence. And amazingly they do this of their own free will. I have to respect that personally.

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
I can agree that in general it is held in high regard.

I, however, support good soldiers. I don't really respect the institution nor people who should not be there in the first place. It seems that most people seem to be caught up in the reverence so much that they seem to forget that there are some monstrous people who sign up for all the wrong reasons. In fact, it's the main reason I would rather go to jail then join the military (if they had a draft for women in the first place). Sexual assault and rape happen to some soldiers (male and female) and civilians too, and the way the military handles these problems is atrocious. Not to mention that some soldiers are bloodthirsty and attack civilians indiscriminately. I don't know if it has been getting better or not, but it is still enough to keep me away.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Churchee said:
Firs
Matt Oliver said:
Actually it depends on what branch. Marines: Ooh-Rah, Army: Hoo-Ah, Navy: Hoo-Yah, and the Airforce just gives a thumbs up.

But the reason we revere the military the way we do in America is because as stated earlier by other people they volunteer to fight and possibly die for our freedom and for the American way.
Damn. Ninja'd on terms.

OT: I respect our military but I don't view them with the same regard as the rest of the country seems to do. I have friends in the military and worry about them. some of them before joining were very good people and once joined changed and did a complete 180 for their personality. And I've gotten rejected from the military.......but that was medical bullshit girls are inferior crap that seems to still be prevalent and a lot of people seem to think shouldn't be out working period. Anyways.....I respect the people who do volunteer for the military but how much depends on situations. I support the specific people but not the institution in general. If any of that makes sense.

Dec 14, 2009
I can understand respecting the soldiers of America from a whole 'volunteering to protect the country' sort of view.

They don't exactly have the best training in the world though, *cough*friendlyfire*cough*, and their Marine 'oorah' mentality is rather arrogant.

Phaerim

Sep 15, 2010
Ghengis John said:
Phaerim said:
Being a hero (which americans use a lot when talking about their troops) in my country is something you have to earn through action. Not by just signing up.
Ah but you see in our country we don't have conscription. You have to bear in mind that in the US, service is voluntary. So even the act of signing up is an uncommon gesture that most people would avoid. I don't think you properly appreciate what that means. Any profession such as fireman or police officer where people regularly put their life on the line for others is going to warrant most people's respect. And nobody puts their life on the line with as much regularity as a soldier. It's a dangerous job and we who are civilians benefit from their undertaking it, so we are appreciative.

There's also probably some reactionary elements in it towards our behavior as a country at the end of the Vietnam war. People treated the soldiers coming home from it very badly refusing them work and so on, while the people who sent them to war got second terms in office. I think we've come to realize the people to be mad at are the higher ups, though the proper anger doesn't always transmit.

I personally don't approve of using the armed forces for political or predatory purposes. And not every soldier conducts themselves heroically in other countries, some sign up for the wrong reasons as well. But the vast majority of soldiers are honorable folks doing something I wouldn't want to and I have that option because of them.
You're right. I do/did not understand, but these answers has actually been very enlightening, and I must admit from that viewpoint, the appreciation seems a lot more natural. Glad that people took this serious.

On another note, how do you handle criticism of the Military then? I mean a couple of weeks back when Don't Ask, don't tell was repealed, I read that The Marince Corps was reluctant to do so. I think thats douchebagery at it's worst, so how do you, as an american, express your disagreement with a US Military institution? Without getting:

Matt Oliver said:
We destroy anyone who says shit about the armed forces!
See my point?

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
JB1528 said:
So considering the fact that no one is forced into combat people seem to respect the fact that these guys willingly join the military knowing there's a good chance they will be sent to a combat zone and have to risk their lives.
And for their courage, we've recently made it so bonus pay for being in a combat zone no longer affects eligibility for food stamps!

If it weren't for the crazy sacredness of our military, it'd probably be much smaller because the pay is terrible and you can get killed.

hyzaku

Mar 1, 2010
CiB42 said:
Matt Oliver said:
They are war heroes each and every single one of them.
Even the ones who torture people at places like Abu Ghraib?
Honestly, no. Most Americans do not approve of such actions. That such acts take place is unfortunate, but unless information is leaked about said acts and driven home by the media they will be ignored as we wait eagerly to see some news on a celebrity couple breaking up.