Can an american explain me their view on their military?

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
We should be seen as higher citizens on the social paradigm, but unfortunately fall into this viewpoint of one of the following (Note, I was in. This is a very, very accurate portrayal as to how society see's the modern day military):

- Unintellgent kids who couldn't get into college.
- Unintelligent kids who didn't give a shit and just "joined" because they had no future.
- People who get into trouble and forced into it through law.
- Minorities who didn't have any other avenue.
- The lower levels of society who aren't worthy of the ivy league merits.

In other words...we are the bloody shitheap in the eyes of this damn nation. Underpaid, undervalued, and seen as expendable. No one gives a shit about us and we're just there to "die for them" because we didn't "prove our worth" and "had to join the military".

There.
You know the Nights Watch from "A Song of Ice and Fire". Yeah. It's like that minus the zombies and magic.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Phaerim said:
I think one of the reasons we Americans have always valued our military so much is because we literally would not be here if not for them. We needed militiamen to pull off the revolution, we needed the army to keep things together in the civil war, we needed them to defend us in a good portion of the major wars in the last 100 years...the major parts of our history have not only hinged on the military, but on ONE military. Our military.

That is sort of unique to America, in that our military has always been OUR military. There have been no extreme changes in power such as dynasties or empires that have caused our military to change. It is and has always been ours. And because of the way our government and leadership is laid out, we can be confident in the knowledge that it will continue to be ours. The military doesn't answer to some emperor or king, someone who could be overthrown by a coup. And nor do they have a history of any of that. They answer to the people we elect, and by extension us. It's OUR military.

As for the romantic view of the army, I guess that just blossomed from that pride in ownership. I really don't know how to account for that. I was raised to respect those in the military, and I see it as only natural. They are voluntarily offering their life and service as our first line of defense--as my first line of defense. There are a lot easier and better-paying jobs than what they do. I think it would be criminal to not be proud of and support those who voluntarily take up a job that is so vital and responsible for my way of living.

That's my view, anyway. Hope that helped :3

Qtoy

Apr 21, 2011
The country was forged by war. It's defined it as a country. It gained its independence through war, it proved itself through war, it defended others (arguably) through war, and it's defended its interests through war.
The military is responsible for the power we have today. It's only right to revere them as heroes because they are nothing less to us. Early on, it's instilled in us that the honor soldiers get is well deserved and that it is an extraordinary honor to serve your country.

It worked on me, I'm joining up with ROTC the moment I get into High School.

MoNKeyYy

Evidence or GTFO
Jun 29, 2010
Phaerim said:
Being born in a country with conscription
I think that's your problem. To you the army is no big deal, everyone does it. In the US and Canada the entire army is a professional volunteer force. Everyone who does it could be doing something else, they serve because they want to make a difference. They willingly put themselves in harms way to defend their fellow man, and I personally think it's a noble cause and that soldiers are heroes. But I plan to join up myself after high school when I'm around 20-ish, so maybe I'm biased.

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
The idea of heroes in the American Army stems right out of the inception of America and its history. During the American Revolution, the ideal was fighting for their freedom against the British, which has been the basis of the american military ever since. Every time (except for the War of 1812- when America invaded, and lost, to Canada and the Brits, their only ever loss) that they went to war was, in one way or another, to protect their civilians and their way of life- freedom. This idea of freedom has become so idealized in America that those who fight for it becomes a hero and is respected.It isn't because they put so much money into it that they respect it, it's actually the other way around. Because they put such a high value on the military, they pump money into it.

In other countries, the idea of fighting for freedom isn't as held up, and in countries with mandatory service it becomes everyday and not as heroic to be in the military.

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
America always instills an ideal of the American Soldier fighting for the sake of the citizens' freedom/ liberty/ life according to the "american dream".

I have a great amount of respect for members of the US military, though I don't share the belief that they are all heroes, and it will be a cold day in hell when I believe that we have fought a war in the past fifty years against an enemy which posed any legitimate threat to our "liberties".

Dan Steele

Jul 30, 2010
Message to my government

Please stop spending money on our millitary and more on our education system

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Matt Oliver said:
a. its Horrah, just a way to say sure,fine,good for you, etc, and we americans hold our military in the highest standard, aside from a few nutjobs aka Westboro Baptist Church.
We are thankful that they have risked their lives to keep us safe. We destroy anyone who says shit about the armed forces! They are war heroes each and every single one of them.
this. a trillion times this!
The US military now a days is purely volunteer only. which means they put aside their personal comfort and fight over seas so we dont have to.

open trap

Feb 26, 2009
The difference may be that our soldiers choose to join the military, and the U.S. Military very often sees action. If you dont see actual combat you are very likley to be shipped across the world to some foreign place away from your family and friends. This being all by choice. Its quite the sacrife and those who do this have my complete respect.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
The military itself? well, I'm glad I have it Go ask any country without one, or with a weak one, or a corrupt one. They'll tel you it sucks not having someone who can defend them.

Now, as to why it has to be so big, iw ouldnt know. it employs a lot of people, so to cut down on spending for it would cut more jobs, but i think in the end it would probably save more then it would cost. So it could be a bit smaller, and still just as powerful.

remember, the military desn really decide where it wants to go and fight, higher ups have to initiate it and send it there. And I dont always agree with where politics send like (like now).

EDIT:
Berenzen said:
... (except for the War of 1812- when America invaded, and lost, to Canada and the Brits, their only ever loss) ...
They really didnt lose.

No, I'm not gonna be one of those guys who says the army cant lose, or deny vietnam happened, but they really didnt lose. They fought to a stalemate in the end. If really Britain (or Canada, though Canada was still Britain at that point) really wanted to win, they could have Taken the US again.

Also, the war of 1812 was fought for the defense of the country. Sailors were literally being pulled off their vessels and forced to fight for Britain's navy. And if you'd like to say thats not a reason to fight a war, then we'll see how much a tune changes if you were to reverse the situation and say if France was just ripping British sailors off their boats to fight in the French navy (not saying you're brtish, but its a good example of a rival country).

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
Phaerim said:
Sorry for the weird title. Well obviously I am not american myself, and some people might find this post a little weird. I have been thinking about this for some time now. Well here is the thing;

Browsing pages such as 4chan.org, imgur and reddit.com, I find people making fun of basicly everything. Except one thing. The US Military. Everytime its about them it all about heroes, "oorah" (some kind of Marine slogan?) and thanks.

Being born in a country with conscription (Denmark), being in the military really isn't that big a deal. Was in the Army Fire Deparmtent myself. Many males of the danish population has been in the military for a certain amount of time, so the military isn't really that much of an romantic institution. It's just a job.

But during my travels last year in the US, and also on the internet, the military is almost sacred. Every word of criticism is met with harsh reprisals, and sorry to say so, but I just don't get it.

Anyways, what I am most curious about is why it is this way? It's not that I think anythings wrong with it, but I must admit that the praise and respect seems a bit excessive in my eyes. Being a hero (which americans use a lot when talking about their troops) in my country is something you have to earn through action. Not by just signing up.

I'm curious, so if any american browsing the site could spare a few minutes to tell me why they pay their respects, it would be much appreciated.
First, we have no draft. The American military is entirely composed of people who chose to go out, fight and possibly die.

Second (but in relation to the first) there are very few people in america who aren't aware of how horrible war is, as we are exposed to it often our schools (which are mandatory until 17) in media ranging from mere mentions (how the vietnam war was brought to TVs) to first person perspectives (All Quiet on the Western Front). In fact, until last year i was never told about any job in the military that DIDN'T put your life right in the line of fire (aside from communications). While you aren't a hero just for signing up, you're considered very brave.

Third, is just america's culture: we love the big, badass heroes that are romanticized to be the military's men. (this is partly because the adult population lived in an era where everything was so politically correct that this culture feels rough and exciting to them... See The Big Picture episode about the fairness doctrine)

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Lamppenkeyboard said:
America always instills an ideal of the American Soldier fighting for the sake of the citizens' freedom/ liberty/ life according to the "american dream".

I have a great amount of respect for members of the US military, though I don't share the belief that they are all heroes, and it will be a cold day in hell when I believe that we have fought a war in the past fifty years against an enemy which posed any legitimate threat to our "liberties".
So the group al-queda isnt a threat to our freedom? and they are,were,whatever, a legit threat.

StarCecil

Feb 28, 2010
Phaerim said:
Sorry for the weird title. Well obviously I am not american myself, and some people might find this post a little weird. I have been thinking about this for some time now. Well here is the thing;

Browsing pages such as 4chan.org, imgur and reddit.com, I find people making fun of basicly everything. Except one thing. The US Military. Everytime its about them it all about heroes, "oorah" (some kind of Marine slogan?) and thanks.

Being born in a country with conscription (Denmark), being in the military really isn't that big a deal. Was in the Army Fire Deparmtent myself. Many males of the danish population has been in the military for a certain amount of time, so the military isn't really that much of an romantic institution. It's just a job.

But during my travels last year in the US, and also on the internet, the military is almost sacred. Every word of criticism is met with harsh reprisals, and sorry to say so, but I just don't get it.

Anyways, what I am most curious about is why it is this way? It's not that I think anythings wrong with it, but I must admit that the praise and respect seems a bit excessive in my eyes. Being a hero (which americans use a lot when talking about their troops) in my country is something you have to earn through action. Not by just signing up.

I'm curious, so if any american browsing the site could spare a few minutes to tell me why they pay their respects, it would be much appreciated.
It boils down to the military being an all-volunteer force. There once was a time when the US military was drafted, largely, and as such joining the military was considered, in many sectors, something you were supposed to do and was just expected of you.

However it is now volunteer and, since the US is constantly involved in global affairs, carries with it an understood risk of death or injury. Therefor, those young men and women who volunteer to join the military are widely respected as putting themselves at risk for the greater good.

The Oath of Enlistment for an enlisted man is as follows:

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

The essence of the US military, then, is to volunteer to put oneself at risk for the protection of the state. Denmark is not a country that gets into too many scraps, so naturally there's nothing "spectacular" about being conscripted. I would still, however, argue that you and all others who have done their service are heroic.

Oorah is a Marine term, used in a variety of ways depending on the context but for the enlisted man will probably be used mostly to acknowledge an order:

GySgt: "Take this up for me."
Pvt: "Oorah, Gunny."

Or used as a greeting for an NCO (who, in the Marines, frown upon being greeted as "Sir"):

Pvt: "Oorah, Gunnery Sergeant."
GySgt: "Morning."

Or used as a general response:

GySgt: "I'm going to the head."
Pvt: "Oorah."

It can also be used as a battle cry, group response, as a term of endearment, or as a call and response.

[This has been another Jargon Theatre production, Oorah?]

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
Skizle said:
Most soldiers are just following orders. Some may not be willing to do, however they will because if they dont a long prison sentence awaits them
Ever read about the Nuremberg trials?

FortheLegion

Dec 16, 2008
Truth Cake said:
I hold the U.S. military in the same regard as every other military- that they're armed men/women that are trained to kill or assist in killing, and the fact that we need such a group of people around at any given time is a testament to how humans can be WORSE than animals.

The soldiers themselves though, I treat them as any other human, nothing special.
We are no worse than animals. predatory animals kill things. Most predatory animals are trained from birth to hunt and kill other animals. Oftentimes in herds or packs of animals they even kill each other in disputes over mates or leadership and whatnot.

Humans fight other groups of humans to acquire resources or to be the best or prove they are the strongest. We kill each over all sorts of things just as animals. the only difference is we're smarter than animals so we developed tools that make killing easier. If animals were smarter they would do the same thing.

We are no better or worse than any animal.

Shadu

Nov 10, 2010
While I don't hold the military in the almost-holy tier as a lot of people I know do, the fact is that America's big claim to glory is the military.

I think for the most part, it's what the military stands for, or symbolizes (supposedly). It stands for freedom and liberation in most American's eyes. That's the way I see it anyway.

Whether I agree or not isn't really the subject here. I will say that I appreciate those who are willing to protect this country by serving the military one way or the other, but I will never be one of them voluntarily because I don't think I can do it, mentally or physically.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
I say lower military spending by 20%.

US's spending on military
$685.1 billion

Uk's spending on military which very nearly doubles china's
$58.6 billion

I don't care much else about it as long as they kick ass and are treated safely and not as meat shields.

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
Jegsimmons said:
Lamppenkeyboard said:

So the group al-queda isnt a threat to our freedom? and they are,were,whatever, a legit threat.
Is there enough of a chance of them successfully enslaving our country to warrant the trillions of dollars, and thousands of American lives we have spent over the past decade trying to dismantle the group?