Can anyone recommend a decent book series?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Drummodino said:
Sanderson also just released Words of Radiance the sequel to one of my favourite books, The Way of Kings. That series is planned to be ten books as of now.
Would you believe that I got The Way of Kings on audio book, Kindle book and as a physical release? Great book for sure.

Edit: My post bounced due to some internet gnomes in the tubes meaning a post that I wasn't aware got through got posted. Ignore the latter part of my post.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
There are few good ones
"Foundation" series by Isaac Asimov (although reading novels of "Robot" series is advisable, because spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler)
"MythAdventures" series by Robert Asprin
"Darkover" series by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Vorkosigan saga by Lois McMaster Bujold

All are excellent series
Also one short series (consists of 2 books)
"Allies and Aliens" by Roger MacBride Allen- I especially liked how spaceship battles were depicted

Icy Joe Coco

Oct 28, 2009
Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion series, probably start with Elric of Melnibone, The Eternal Champion, or A Nomad of the Time Streams. Think they recently republished them too, and there are a lot of books to get your teeth into. Blood and Souls for Arioch! Oh yeah, he invented the whole Multiverse thing, and Law and Chaos. He is the Daddy of them all!

residentout1

May 21, 2013
you should read The Enemy series by Charlie Higson it's a good take on a zombie apocalypse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Higson

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
Fijiman said:
I would have to suggest The Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix, the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud, the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan, and any of the series by Tamora Pierce.
Oh god yes they keys to the kingdom series! Fijiman what is our favorite book of that series?

OT: i would recommend the eragon series or anything by darren shan as i've thoroughly enjoyed all his books especially his demonata series, his new series zom-b is pretty good as it's told through they eyes of a zombie

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
If you're into Sci-Fi, I would recommend the Star Trek novels from Pocket Books, I've been reading them for pretty much the last 10 years and they're pretty good and the authors (Peter David, Michael Jan Friedman, David Mack, David R. George III, Una McCormack and many others) have done an outstanding job of creating a continuing universe.

Here's the read order list for continuity sake. You pick up right when the Voyager TV series ends.

Star Trek Voyager
- Homecoming
- The Farther shore
- Spirit Walk series (2 books)
Star Trek The Next Generation
- A Time Too series (9 books)
- Nemesis
- Death in Winter
Star Trek Titan
- Taking Wing
- The Red King
- Orions Hounds
- Sword of Damocles
- Articles of the Federation
- Resistance
- Before Dishonor
- Greater than the Sum
Star Trek Desitny (4 books)
- Gods of Night
- Mere Mortals
- Lost Souls
- A Singular Destiny (Having read the Corps of Engineers novellas helps with some plot points, but not needed)
Star Trek Titan
- Over a Torrent Sea
- Synthesis
- Losing the Peace
Star Trek Voyager
- Full Circle
- Unworthy
- Children of the Storm
Star Trek Typhon Pact
- Zero Sum Game
- Seize the Fire
- Rough Beasts of Empire
- The Struggle Within
- Indistinguishable From Magic
Star Trek Voyager
- The Eternal Tide
Star Trek Typhon Pact (At this point, having read the DS9 Relaunch novels 038-059 helps, but it does a good job of filling in gaps)
- Plagues of Night
- Raise the Dawn
Star Trek Titan
- Fallen Gods
Star Trek The next Generation
- Cold Equations Book One: The Persistence of Memory
- Cold Equations Book Two: Silent Weapons
- Cold Equations Book Three: The Body Electric
- The Stuff of Dreams
Star Trek The Fall
- Revelation and Dust
- The Crimson Shadow
- A Ceremony of Losses
- The Poisoned Chalice
- Peaceable Kingdoms

TeacakeWeasel

Feb 18, 2010
I'll have to recommend the Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson - A World War 2 set sci-fi story about the crew of a woefully outdated destroyer who hide from a Japanese Battleship by fleeing into an unnatural squall, only to find themselves taken to an alternate history earth that is inhabited by humanoid Lemurs and intelligent Raptors who are at war with each other and find their battered old warship is now the most advanced piece of technology on the planet due to both sides still being in the Middle Ages.

I've recommended this series to five of my friends and relatives and only one of them rejected it (though he said it was because it made him feel seasick somehow), so I can confidently say you should give this a try..... One word of warning though, Taylor Anderson loves breasts and he loves describing them in intricate detail, not a book goes by without at least three different boob descriptions, it's like he has a minimum quota that has to be met or else he's not allowed his dosage of life saving medicine for a crippling disease.
If you think I got a little obsessed with boobs just then, well, you'll understand if you read his books (starting with 'Into The Storm')

TeacakeWeasel

Feb 18, 2010
I apologise for this double post, but I'll use it to say that despite the excess of anatomical description, I stand by my recommendation for Destroyermen.

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
A series Sci-fi series I've been reading lately that has not yet been mentioned, is the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey. It's a epic space opera that us SERIOUSLY good. It's also been getting good review/recommends by a lot of people

As the series stands now, there are three released at the moment, the first being Leviathan Wakes. However, a fourth is due to release in June. And honestly, the books have consistently gotten better as the series has gone on.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Honor Harrington cycle by D. Weber. Awesome long running rather serious sci-fi series. Contains lots of common sense, politics, military operations, espionage.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I recommend the Mortal Engines saga, also known as "The Hungry Cities" in North America.
It's a series about gigantic, moving "traction" cities. The hunt and eat each other. Brilliant series.
NerAnima said:
For Steampunk, I would recommend the Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld.
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
His Dark Materials
These two as well. I had Leviathan as well, but someone else has the good taste and sense to recommend it.
Icy Joe Coco said:
Michael Moorcock's -snip- A Nomad of the Time Streams.
And that's another book really worth reading. Never read Moorcock's other stuff, but A Nomad of the Time Streams is my favourite time travel book. I think. Whatever, it's really good, just read it. These people have excellent tastes, and you should thank them.

dragonet111

Nov 12, 2013
One of my favorite serie is the Belgariad by David and Leigh Eddings. I love it, it is very manichean and you know the good guys win in the end, the story is a classic fantasy story but the characters are awesome and the books are full of swashbuckling actions.

So yes not the most original serie but if you want a fun read, full of action, adventures and characters you wish to be friends with go for it.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
For heavy sci-fi, I'd suggest the Horus Heresy Series, enough into the 40k Universe (well 30K technically) but not too deep so that people won't get too confused with all the intricacies of the lore.

If your into super soldiers beating up other super soldiers with mechs the size of city blocks, it'll be right up your street

A.K.B.

Feb 27, 2014
well I'm not much of an avid reader. And the only sci-fi "NOVEL" I've read is Dan Simmons's Hyperion. I really liked it and I think it's a safe recommendation ...
Also if you haven't played the original game. you can always download the novelization of PLANE-SCAPE TORMENT for free and check it out. there are two copies actually: one is composed by the original writer of the game (something along 300 to 400 short pages ). the other is a fan-made compilation that exceed 1200 in page count ( 500 words each ).
It's your choice and if anything I'd recommend the second because even the original writer praised it...
believe me you'll not regret it ...
And finally if you're willing to check out comics or "manga" to be precise try BLAME!
I would've thrown this suggestion if I wasn't really REALLY sure of it. because believe me if I said I've watched a decent amount of movies and played my fair share of video games. BUT NOTHING I'VE EVER SEEN CAN RIVAL THE MINDFU@#ERY OF THIS ONE ...
it's an abstract piece of machination complexity that is as complex,convoluted and mind boggling hard to fathom as it is gorgeous.
it is a piece of utter sci-fi beauty that deserves way more attention than it has
and I mean WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY more attention
just try to Google-image it and you'll know what I mean.

dragonet111

Nov 12, 2013
Zac Smith said:
For heavy sci-fi, I'd suggest the Horus Heresy Series, enough into the 40k Universe (well 30K technically) but not too deep so that people won't get too confused with all the intricacies of the lore.

If your into super soldiers beating up other super soldiers with mechs the size of city blocks, it'll be right up your street

Disclaimer this is a purely personal opinion :)

I think gaunt's ghosts serie is a better gateway into the 40k universe.

The eisenhorn serie is also very good.

But stay away from the Blood Angels series they stink (coming from a BA player)

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
TakerFoxx said:
The Dresden Files? Why?

This is why.

Damn you beat me to it. And that moment you have in that picture was basicly the moment when it became my favorite book series (tho I did not like how Cold Days ended).

OT:
Jim Butcher's other series, Codex Alera is a good read, it has battles that make TLotR seem small and unlike the Dresden Files it is finished.

I also give my vote for the Night Angel Trillogy that has alredy been said.

Last but not least I recommend the Nightside series and the Secret Histories series both by Simon.R Green. Nightside follows John Taylor, a PI who lives in the Nightside which is a dark version of London where it is always 2am and all manner of thing happen. The best why I can think to describe it is that it is a cross between Dresden Files and John Constantine.

Secret Histories is set in the same universe as the Nightside (even has some character crossovers) and follows Eddie Drood. The Drood family protect the world from anything that would seek to harm it from aliens to mad scientists to crazy wizards hell bent on world domination. To do this they have golden armor that gives them abilitiys beyond a normal human. Basicly they are the secret agents of the supernatural.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
A BigCup of Tea said:
Fijiman said:
I would have to suggest The Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix, the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud, the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan, and any of the series by Tamora Pierce.
Oh god yes they keys to the kingdom series! Fijiman what is our favorite book of that series?

OT: i would recommend the eragon series or anything by darren shan as i've thoroughly enjoyed all his books especially his demonata series, his new series zom-b is pretty good as it's told through they eyes of a zombie
Hard to say as it's been quite a while since I've read any of the books, and, to be honest, I still haven't read the last two books. I have shame for not doing so, but I have high school to blame for that. I'll hopefully get around to finishing the series at some point in the near future.

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
Fijiman said:
A BigCup of Tea said:
Fijiman said:

Hard to say as it's been quite a while since I've read any of the books, and, to be honest, I still haven't read the last two books. I have shame for not doing so, but I have high school to blame for that. I'll hopefully get around to finishing the series at some point in the near future.
not going to spoil anything but i kinda guessed the ending by thursday (which i think is the best as it's when Arthur finally realises that he has to take on the morrow days or he just isn't going to have a life) saturday and sunday get pretty intense, have you heard of one called the towers by garth nix? (i think that's what they're called but i'll have to double check)

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
Legacy of the Drow
Dresden Files
Wheel of time
Inheritance cycle (eragon)
Demonata
Odd Thomas
Metro books
Warhammer 40k

sorry if I repeated anything someone else said xD