Can Art Be Games?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Can Art Be Games?

What's the difference between a game and just a statement or artistic expression? The answer depends on who you ask.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Great read, it's good to see the experimental stuff getting some coverage here. The folks who did The Graveyard did a great rundown of all the hell they caught from both sides of the issue.

http://tale-of-tales.com/blog/the-graveyard-post-mortem/

My favorite observation they made was how gamers kept playing the game and trying to solve it. The boldest thing so many of these games proposes always seems to be not being a puzzle or a challenge. Like the 4 minutes and 33 seconds games, it's not something you really approach in a typical manner. There's nothing to win or accomplish.

The important things these games are doing is paving the way for AAA games to start exploring their own game content. I don't think anyone is proposing that mainstream stuff suddenly become obsessed with being artsy, it's just there are a lot of great ideas you can borrow from these experiments.

Look at something like Randy Balma. The last level of that game uses visual distortion and light patterns in such a way that the challenge is to not vomit. Literally, as in you'll get motion sickness while playing and barely be able to look at the screen while you collect the last few baby heads.

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
Passage is an excellent art game. Gravitation is the first video game that made me cry for reasons not related to fatigue or difficulty.

Yes, art games should be their own genre. They should, however, be games first. The Graveyard might be an astonishing piece of interactive art, but it's not a game; hence, it's not an art game.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
well, enjoy not watching tv for the rest of your life, along with music, because both are considered art

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
freduardo said:
I think the real question is as follows: can art suck my dick?

Seriously, art sucks. Paintings, sculpture, architecture, music, film and especially video games should never try to be art. Art can blow me.
Am I the only one who finds it humorus that he registered just to make this post?

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Eric the Orange said:
freduardo said:
I think the real question is as follows: can art suck my dick?

Seriously, art sucks. Paintings, sculpture, architecture, music, film and especially video games should never try to be art. Art can blow me.
Am I the only one who finds it humorus that he registered just to make this post?
One has to start somewhere.
Obviously, the gayest the concept, the more artistic it seems to be.
Kill Muslims seemed to have a message though.

In the end, it's art because I say so [http://stonebytes.blogspot.com/2008/06/games-are-art.html]. Period.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I think these are pretty cool ideas. I haven't played or heard of any of these, (unless the little part where he mentioned SotC, Homeworld, and Myst counts) and I find the whole concept interesting.

I've seen many games where artistic atmosphere goes together with the gameplay, but I haven't seen games where it really is just about the beautiful world.

I certainly think games can be art, and after reading this and thinking about it, I believe that art can be games.

Merciless.Fire

Feb 6, 2009
The MGS series is a pretty good example of how far a storyline can go, and a story is art in its own way. Plus, check out the fairly movie-like scenes of MGS4, I swear that last cutscene is 90 minutes.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
One thing that may have relevance here is "game" vs "simulation": The Addy "games" (I don't know if anyone here played them as a kid, basically an education software that rewarded you for completing lessons by unlocking games) had separate sections for games and simulations. Games were pretty straight forward, stuff like Breakout clones and such. The simulations were designed to show the interactions between different variables interactively by letting the user change a variable and see what else happens (e.g. in a forest ecosystem you could adjust the hunting intensity which would then affect the number of predators and prey which in turn affected the health of the forest, etc). They weren't designed to be entertaining but to utilize their interactivity to educate.

Interactive doesn't automatically mean game but at least the cited examples are actually using everything to form their art, many other articles just cite games that look like art (Ico, Rez, Braid, pick your poison) or something, basically a game with art ducktaped to it. IMO it's a case of missing the medium if the art is pretty much separate from the interactive part (e.g. a railroading story that makes the player an actor who has to obey his script should have been a book or movie, not a game). Only by utilizing the interactivity to do things that the other art could not do alone does the game become an art game (or the art become more than just art stapled to a game).

I'm not going to say art games aren't art or aren't games (at least if they have interactivity and a way to amuse yourself with that) but I will say that a game that tries to be art but destroys its game part in the process (this happens mostly through neglect rather than deliberate choice though that also tends to tie into the ducktape issue) is a bad art game.

Of course the example of Graveyard seems to be on the edge, it's hard to say if a software with the only inputs "start" and "exit" counts as interactive (I would say no).

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
That is a question one asks themselves and answers on their own behalf.

"What is good, and what is not good, need we anyone to tell us these things?"

ceolstan

Feb 10, 2009
I'm surprised that in a feature on the "art game"--especially one with such a provocative title--there's no mention of John Cage's seminal work, Four minutes and thirty-three seconds [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nk50eES-0w].

With respect to video games as art (and indeed art in video games), I can see the art aspect. At the same time, though, the video game is transient. Unlike art that exists in print or sound or in performance or in 3 dimensions, video game art exists only for the now. Developments in OS or hardware tend to render games superannuated.