Can binge drinking damage the brain?

Madgamer13

Sep 20, 2010
I understand that binge drinking threatens your liver far more than your brain, especially since overloading yourself on what actually effects the brain is more likely to form receptors demanding more. Definitely, your liver gets a harder time of it, even to the point of rupturing. Rupture your liver too much and you will lose the function of it, resulting in an agonising death by toxin.

Your liver being damaged usually heals itself with scar tissue, which cannot serve the liver's function, hence how it eventually shuts down.

I'm not an expert though, feel free to poke around Wikipedia, medical journals or ask your doctor if you have the patience.

Edit: Oh, I forgot something else; alcoholic drinks aren't terribly good at hydration, which has direct implications on the function of your brain. If you are drinking, be sure to sober up with water every now and again, especially if you are dancing.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
Pretty much what everyone else said. Since you don't drink frequently, the severe damaging effects shouldn't really affect you that much. It's when you drink too much is when your health really deteriorates. But just in case if you don't feel any better after a couple of more days, then maybe you should go to the doctor. I doubt it'd be alcohol related, but it could be something else entirely. Just play it by ear for now.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
If it was just a one-time thing and isn't something you do regularly I don't think you need to worry about it. What you're feeling is likely the after-effects of a hangover. My first time getting really drunk was on my 21st birthday, and all of my older friends took me out. As you can imagine, they paid for the drinks, and, well...suffice to say the next day I felt terrible. And I had a plane to catch, too, which made it worse. But I digress.

My hangover from that night lasted a couple days. I think if you go really really far like I did that night and it's the first time your body has had to handle it, it's semi-normal to have your body take a while to recover. It just happens. But drink lots of water, make sure you're eating well, and soon enough you'll recover just fine.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Reiper said:
as per the title

I usually do not drink, but a few nights ago I drank way more than I should have to the point where I only remember fragments of the night. It is now three days afterwards and I still feel vacant, almost like I not all here. This is like the third time in my life I have been drunk, but I was having difficulty finding literature on the effects of binge drinking rarely or only once.

Is it possible I have inflicted any kind of permanent damage, or is am I just being a hypochondriac?
Seeing as how you don't usually drink, you probably did minor repairable damage to yourself but nothing lasting. I would recommend not starting binge drinking as a hobby though.
One hard night of drinking won't fuck you up though, unless you decided to drink more than the LD for your body weight/type.
Most likely you're recovering from dehydration. Drink water, balance your salts and maybe since you're being health conscious, buy something to clean out your system.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Just about everything that causes memory loss is bad for your brain, obviously. Permanent damage? ...I don't think so, but other people probably answered it.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
If you fall over and smash your head on the pavement, it might.

When you're very drunk, it's always a worrisome possibility. Mind where you're going, and consider finding a bench and getting a taxi.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
Reiper said:
as per the title

I usually do not drink, but a few nights ago I drank way more than I should have to the point where I only remember fragments of the night. It is now three days afterwards and I still feel vacant, almost like I not all here. This is like the third time in my life I have been drunk, but I was having difficulty finding literature on the effects of binge drinking rarely or only once.

Is it possible I have inflicted any kind of permanent damage, or is am I just being a hypochondriac?
Sounds like a fairly substantial hangover, nothing to worry about. Some of the comments in here you'd think you should be dead by now Jesus. Relax about it, drink some water and chill, next time drink a little less if it worries you, certainly no need to pack drinking in altogether.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
However, the disorder isn't caused by the alcohol itself. It's the result of a deficiency of thiamine, an essential B vitamin. Not only are severe alcoholics often malnourished, extreme alcohol consumption can interfere with the body's absorption of thiamine.
So while alcohol doesn't actually kill brain cells, it can still damage your brain if you drink in mass quantities.

There you go. Don't binge drink, it's bad for your health.
Yeah, he's not gonna get that from a single binge though is he? It's a long term deficiency, and this is out of character for the OP by the sounds of it.
OP seems worried enough as it is, no need to add to it!

That said, I agree that regular binging isn't great, though more for the loss of control and potential for getting in trouble than pure health reasons.

@Reiper

It sounds like you're suffering from the mother of all hangovers, nothing more. If you were doing it weekly it might be a problem, but now and again is probably ok for long term health.
But for the sake of your short term health during nights out, don't drink enough to pass out or be unable to walk, drink water between drinks, pace yourself, definitely stop drinking if you start puking, don't drive, climb, fight, or do extreme sports while under the influence, and so on.

As for the hangover, drink plenty of water, make sure you're eating enough, get enough sleep. And perhaps not get so drunk next time if you don't want to experience the aftermath again!

takemeouttotheblack

Apr 4, 2013
I very much doubt that after one large binge drinking session, you're going to be damaged for life. More likely, it's a combination of a hangover and your body not being used to it and trying to adapt. Stay hydrated, keep as physically and mentally active as you can, and it should be fine.

While I don't pretend to be an expert in the field, the majority of the time you see people getting brain injuries through alcohol, it's either through constant, continual abuse of alcohol, other substances they take while under the influence, acute alcohol poisoning (which you don't have if you're typing this now), or through accidents that occur while under the influence.

If it persists for another couple of days and really starts to be a problem, go see your doctor, but it should pass. And next time, make sure you have a glass of water between every two pints or so if you can.

nuttshell

Aug 11, 2013
Some may have allready made the point but I'd like to repeat it: if you don't remember a certain period of time and others can, you have a perfect example of permanent damage you did to your brain. Binge drinking does damage to your brain. The thing is, your brain does develop itself almost all of your lifetime (depending on your lifestyle and diet). How much damage you allow is your responsibility. Your brain can take quite a bit of damage but you should still be aware, that you are taking risks and damaging yourself, when you do drugs.