Can games hear you?

rknight718

May 3, 2009
Ever had an instance where a game seems to "hear" or "understand" what you said out loud to it? I've had a few instances like that but the most memorable was while playing one of the Mario Party games. I forget which one, but it had Baby Bowser in it for when you landed on the red Bowser-face spot. I was feeling cocky since I had a huge Star lead and was talking to Baby Bowser like "Yeah yeah, whatever kid, just give me your little 'punishment' already." His next words were "Oh! You're not afraid of me huh? Ok then...DAD!!!" Big-Daddy Bowser shows up and takes ALL my stars. No Joke.

I told my friend about it and he told me how he was playing Dead Space and an enemy (I think it was a Hunter) just killed him and he was bitching at the monster. Then as game over appears the camera angle kinda swoops in on the hunter and he turns his face to look right at my friend thru the TV. Made him stop for a second.

Any stories to share?

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Yeah, it does raise suspicions sometimes... mostly on Left 4 Dead for me.

"The safe room isnt far guys, lets just run there." *crying* "Awww nutz!"

"Haha, this horde sucks... there are barely any zombies..." *pad vibrates, hear crashing noises* "Awwwww NUTZ!!!"

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
I like to think that when i yell at the enimies being to hard or something is deifficult that the game can understand and feels bad for it.

But when it did seem to hear is everysingle time i decide to start sniping, some one hears me saying, now they wont find me here, and i get shot. Everytime.

Albino Ninja

Nov 11, 2007
no out loud things, but a few times I felt a game could read my mind. In GTA I was looking for a specific car, which was normally common, and it was no where to be found. In MGS I was sneaking about and a patrol came by, I hid in my box and was not in his in his patrol route. As soon as he stopped and was about to turn around I thought 'yes I'm clear,' Nuh uh! he immediately spotted me and I went into an alert phase.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Mario Party ?? for the Gamecube. The mini-game where you hide in the cannons and try not to get blasted could hear me and would always pick the cannon that we told it to.
No joke, we used reverse psychology to win the game. It was a little bit scary.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Well, i hope they do... since i taunt my foes... also once in a while i have good one-liner or pun. (For example when using the Rock-IT-Launcher in Fallout 3... so many possibilities)

But no... i haven't seen any reaction until now which can't be attributed to just coincidence *g*

Ctrl Alt 1337

Mar 28, 2009
Years ago while is was playing Hey You Pikachu, the pikachu picked up an apple and asked me what it was. I obviously told him and he understood me.

...but if i wasnt a complete ass, I would tell you about that one time in Gears 2's horde mode when i said "Wait, we don't have a roof... what if they use grenades?" Obviously again the enemy used grenades.

kuroneko43

Jul 10, 2009
Lol the other night I was playing Fallout 3 and I had just got Charon for the first time so I took him out to some map out in the waste and when we loaded I was like "Well whada'ya think?" and he looked at me and was like "I don't like the look of this place."
!!!
I soon realized he always says stuff like that but that first time it totally surprised me haha.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
While playing RE5 on level 4-1, right before we opened the last coffin thing I said "You know, they really should have booby-trapped one of these." The game heard my thoughts, went back in time, and told the developers to booby-trap the coffin thing.

Right after someone died when my cousin was playing "The Oregon Trail" the Grinch gif thing on the desktop started laughing. More of a case of the computer program watching a game.

Both are just really rare occurances, like today when I smacked the rubber ball against the wall in wallball and it flew into the basketball hoop for a swish.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
In Fallout 3 a guy threatened me, I said out-loud "Leave, or die." he then sprinted away. Was pretty funny.

Woem

May 28, 2009
I tend to have that with tv series and movies. "It would be convenient if he had a gun in his glove case..." and then *bam*. My wife hates it when I do that.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
I was running from a group of Deathclaws. I had almost no ammo left for any of my weapons. I found a building with a door and stepped inside. I get inside and say "Good luck learning how to use a doorknob you shit-brained man goats". And just a second later three deathclaws appear in the doorway and proceeded to rip my spine out through my anus.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
woem said:
I tend to have that with tv series and movies. "It would be convenient if he had a gun in his glove case..." and then *bam*. My wife hates it when I do that.
I do that a lot too, I seem to always be able to tell what's going on before it is explained :D

Xyphon

Jun 17, 2009
Ninja Gaiden 2 when you're fighting the flying guy on the lava lake. The boss had low health and I was at max. I said out loud "Oh, you're going down!". I dashed foreward and hit some kind of weird bloody glitch. My guy flew across the stage, got stuck on a wall, and the boss proceeded to ass rape me.

Calax

Jan 16, 2009
vs. on L4D, we were in the subway as infected and I mentioned in team chat "I think it's about time we were due for the tank" and promptly we got the Message "PersonX is going to become the tank!".