Can games live up to their cover art?

Santhenar

Dec 27, 2007
How many times have you bought a game on the strength of great cover art or an awesome CGI movie trailer? Have they ever lived up to their artwork?

ChaosStep

Dec 28, 2007
I expected this to be a dig at Vampire Rain...

I don't think I've ever bought a game assuming it'd be good specifically because of the cover art or a over rendered trailer, I'd always look further into it before the money transaction was involved, however there are some game i seen trailers for that made the game look better than it really was like jaws... or that 50 cent one... you know games that are liable to be shite anyway

Minic

Dec 18, 2007
Remember the Disney/Square Enix crossover Kingdom Hearts? They had pretty movie trailers and TV ads going and I think I bought it purely on the excitement they gave me. I was about 12 at the time. Wasn't a bad game after all, but I could have checked the reviews first.

Jack Spencer Jr

Dec 15, 2007
You know, when I saw the topic, I wondered when it became 1982 again.

This is an old, old thing in video games, since the Atari VCS where that dot is supposed to be a jet. It's actually older than video games. "You can't judge a book by its cover." I guess that's all there is to it.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
I rarely buy a game because of CGI movies or coverart although if it does interest me with that, it does intice me to look further into it. So far Too Human has done this with its impressive movie trailer.

John Galt

Dec 29, 2007
I think buying a game just because marketers can pretty it up is a waste of money. Yet, I will admit that I bought in Men in Black: Alien Escape when I was 10 just because of the movie. I tried never to impulse buy on a game like taht again, but Two Worlds came close to breaking my resolve so I just rented it. Good game, just not $60 good.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
I allways check the back for ingame pictures, but i would only be picking up the case If I knew what the game was.

HuCast

Aug 18, 2006
I think nowadays most of us are too well informed about games to waste 60 bucks because of a cool cover ;)

TheCrimsonPunisher

Dec 31, 2007
I like good cover art especially Castlevania a fine example would be the japanese cover for Symphony of the Night...beautiful and gothic just like the game! But I have never really bought games solely on cover art case in point all the NES Mega Mans with those HORRID boxarts. It turned a lot of gamers away but not me. My friends were all "Ew the game must suck look at that cover art" I'm like "Dude this game rocks"

Duck Sandwich

Dec 13, 2007
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ea/MegamanBox.jpg

In this case, the game did not live up to the box art. I was looking forward to playing as a 45-year old monkey/man hybrid wearing a blue and yellow halloween costume, in a battlefield strewn with state of the art high resolution yellow turds and palm trees.

Gansasalite

Jan 2, 2008
Good Example- I bought Bioshock Based on the Cover Art and The Movie off Live Marketplace. Consider that one of my better Impulse Buys.

Bad Example- Turok Evolution...... less said the better.

I still hate myself for that.

Ranzel

Oct 7, 2007
Minic said:
Remember the Disney/Square Enix crossover Kingdom Hearts? They had pretty movie trailers and TV ads going and I think I bought it purely on the excitement they gave me. I was about 12 at the time. Wasn't a bad game after all, but I could have checked the reviews first.
This is my one and only example of an impulse buy as well. The commercials, and the prospect of playing an action game with Disney characters was cool. I mean, it worked (basically) for Super Smash Brothers. And I agree, It ended up being a pretty good game, IMO. Kingdom Hearts 2, eh, not so much.

Larenxis

Dec 13, 2007
The ads for Heavenly Sword(s) look awful, but the demo of the game is beautiful. I was a little confused.

nasruddin

Jan 2, 2008
Farcry,
That to me was one game with box art that summed up the experience of playing many of its levels. I bought that game simply because of that one picture.
Another good example of boxart that really summed up the game would be Shadow of the Colossus. I remember a friend telling me the concept while I was looking at the case, and thinking "how the hell are you soposed to kill that?", Something I must have asked myself at the start of every Colossus battle.

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
I don't even think this is an issue in this day in age with renting, youtube, and countless review sites. Moreover I don't think box art is nearly as insidious as it was in the early 90s. Yes, I am talking to you Sega.

J-Val

Nov 7, 2007
A lot of games actually have pretty bad cover art (Halo 3, Shadowrun).
But no, I'd never buy impulsively on cover art, but it does entice me.

MrE

Jan 2, 2008
Never have I bought a game based on cover art, but pick one up to read the game info yes, and right now im waiting for Army of Two to come out because i saw the trailer and so far liking waht I see

xMacx

Nov 24, 2007
Heh...I owned a 2600. So absolutely.

At that time, it was always a crapshoot as to which collection of squares would even resemble the experience promised on the cover. And screenshots were not always an option. Things are much better now.