Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean the original Buzz Lightyear show had a blue alien girl, a big red alien guy and a yellow headed robot...... So does that mean new Lightyear is actually less diverse??
No, it's got significantly more than three types of people if we're going by a child's description of diversity. You should probably watch it

Reactions: BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't say all media, I said all fantasy in particular. I thought we were on the same page and didn't need to nail down the specific sort of media I was talking about when you brought up bridge sieges.
It doesn't bloody matter if you specified all fantasy, or all fiction, or all whatever-else in your response. The showrunners didn't specify any particular genre, and neither did the person in my analogy-- yet you seem to be fine imagining the showrunners are talking about all media, and my analogous speaker isn't.

The analogy speaker is making exactly the kind of statement the showrunners are: "we wanted X in our story". Diverse cast, epic siege. If you believe speaker 1 means all media, you must believe speaker 2 means all media.

And you're kinda gaslighting me at this point. They just didn't explicitly mention why that work having all white actors would be somehow detrimental hence they desire it to not be thus, because they felt they didn't have to, due to the bubble they exist within, since everyone they would care to speak to would implicitly grasp the reasoning behind it so to gratuitously explain it would be a waste of time. It also gives them plausible deniability, which you're latching onto like an octopus with an extra tentacle XD.
"Plausible deniability"?! They've never given any reason at all, or said anything, that implies the thought process you're attributing to them. The thought process you're attributing to them is absolutely doolally bonkers crazy.

And your justification for this is.... that everyone in "their bubble" just implicitly automatically knows they mean that, even when they never say anything of the sort!? Well, that's convenient, isn't it? Means you can project whatever you want onto anyone, regardless of whether they've ever said anything to that effect!

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is anyone actually going to watch this show? I'm not, because I didn't care for Game of Thrones to begin with. Here's an idea: if the idea offends you so much, how about you quit your bitchin and whining, and don't watch the show, don't give it any attention, and move the fuck on with your life and watch something else? Otherwise, you are just another jerk off pissing in the wind online, with all that sound and fury meaning absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

Wintermute

Elite Member
Apr 25, 2020
Pindorama
I have zero interest in these shows, but I just saw the trailers for House of the Dragon and Rings of Power, then I checked their IMDb pages to make sure. It's just more of the same, but the new Legolas is black now, that's about it. Nearly everyone else is white. Oh no, Klingonarnia isn't 100% white like the books. It's all fantasy nonsense. The Fast and Furious movies are more "woke" than this.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Fast and Furious movies are more "woke" than this.
As much as I despise the franchise, F&F have been multicultural since day 1. Hell, games like Streets of Rage, Street Fighter, and a majority of fighting games or brawlers care more about diversity, than either Medieval fantasy stories could. Berserk (at least in the beginning) is more diverse than GoT or LoR.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Is anyone actually going to watch this show? I'm not, because I didn't care for Game of Thrones to begin with. Here's an idea: if the idea offends you so much, how about you quit your bitchin and whining, and don't watch the show, don't give it any attention, and move the fuck on with your life and watch something else? Otherwise, you are just another jerk off pissing in the wind online, with all that sound and fury meaning absolutely nothing.
I respect this sentiment, but expecting people online to not act like people online is the REAL pissing in the wind. You'd probably get more satisfaction out of just pissing in your pants. I can think of no fewer than a dozen threads along this same topic of discussion between V1 and V2 of this site, and they've all gone the exact same way. Shame on me, I check in to see just how many pages shit like this merits AGAIN with no one learning anything, conceding, or changing their minds.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I respect this sentiment, but expecting people online to not act like people online is the REAL pissing in the wind. You'd probably get more satisfaction out of just pissing in your pants. I can think of no fewer than a dozen threads along this same topic of discussion between V1 and V2 of this site, and they've all gone the exact same way. Shame on me, I check in to see just how many pages shit like this merits AGAIN with no one learning anything, conceding, or changing their minds.
Which is why I checked out super early on. I expected the usual suspects, so nothing surprised, but it did not make this topic any less annoying and waste of the same space, the last over 12 dozen of these topic created. Take it away Vaas and Kun Lan:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Here's an idea: if the idea offends you so much, how about you quit your bitchin and whining, and don't watch the show, don't give it any attention, and move the fuck on with your life and watch something else? Otherwise, you are just another jerk off pissing in the wind online, with all that sound and fury meaning absolutely nothing.
Part of the reason we have free speech is that both you and the people listening to what you have to say is enriched by hearing it, even if the conclusion is that what you had to say was not worth considering.

What I'm getting at is that if there is something that turns you away from a show odds are you are not alone in that opinion and sharing that would hopefully bring out if that is something lots of people agree with, which hopefully helps the showrunner when they develop the show.

Though granted, fans being entitled and obnoxious is a truism, so people ought to be able to move on once they've shared their take.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Part of the reason we have free speech is that both you and the people listening to what you have to say is enriched by hearing it, even if the conclusion is that what you had to say was not worth considering.
And sometimes it's best not saying anything, or very little, and move on to actual important matters.

Though granted, fans being entitled and obnoxious is a truism, so people ought to be able to move on once they've shared their take.
That's the problem: most people like them don't, or transplant it to something else not much better or worse.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
It doesn't bloody matter if you specified all fantasy, or all fiction, or all whatever-else in your response. The showrunners didn't specify any particular genre, and neither did the person in my analogy-- yet you seem to be fine imagining the showrunners are talking about all media, and my analogous speaker isn't.

The analogy speaker is making exactly the kind of statement the showrunners are: "we wanted X in our story". Diverse cast, epic siege. If you believe speaker 1 means all media, you must believe speaker 2 means all media.

And your justification for this is.... that everyone in "their bubble" just implicitly automatically knows they mean that, even when they never say anything of the sort!? Well, that's convenient, isn't it? Means you can project whatever you want onto anyone, regardless of whether they've ever said anything to that effect!
They didn't offer any reasoning as to why this particular media being all-white would somehow be negatively impacted, so that indicates it isn't something about this particular piece but rather all-white casts, in general.

"Diverse cast" is not a quality descriptor, it's the same as just saying "cast" (unless you're racist) which, yes, a live action production will have a cast, why make a fuss about it? Meanwhile epic siege is described by the word "epic". That's the difference. Now we know why the siege is worth including, it's because it's epic. We still have nothing to indicate any purpose to the cast being diverse as opposed to not being diverse.

"Plausible deniability"?! They've never given any reason at all, or said anything, that implies the thought process you're attributing to them. The thought process you're attributing to them is absolutely doolally bonkers crazy.

The things they've not said is what implies the thought process, specifically, any reasoning at all as to exactly why one casting choice over another would yield differing results. It's implicit in their entire demeanor, without being explicitly stated.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I mean, its fiction. You can do whatever you want
When you're the creator sure.

When you're getting to add to part of some-one else's creation you don't get to just do whatever you want because oddly enough other people have to then deal with the franchise after you so if you Amber Heard it then people have to clean up the bed after.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
*looks at all the permutations and variations of the works of Shakespeare*

Pretty sure you can.

Unless you're arguing from an IP law perspective, in which case as long as the rights holder isn't against whatever you're doing you're free to go to town.
And many of those have shockingly not then named themselves after the plays they're inspired by it but named themselves differently to identify that different or clearly establish the difference. They've not pretended to just be in the same world as the original version.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
When you're the creator sure.

When you're getting to add to part of some-one else's creation you don't get to just do whatever you want because oddly enough other people have to then deal with the franchise after you so if you Amber Heard it then people have to clean up the bed after.
See, I deal with this by considering the adaptation as its own sort of work that exists in its own pocked dimension, otherwise I'd not be able to enjoy anything outside of anime adaptations which generally are extremely faithful.

It's not ideal but it's something.

Also the same goes for localization versions of things, they too might as well be their own unique thing.

The only issue arises when fans of the localized/adapted piece start speaking about things that affect the entirety of the fandom, original included, and act like their version is the default.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
And then when it fails we'll get the inevitable thinkpieces that it failed due to racists etc etc.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I never played Far Cry 3, but that quote bloody annoys me-- mostly because he acts as if its some insight that he's come up with ("Did I ever tell you?"), or the game is framing it as if he's being smart or insightful by coming out with it.

But it's just a quote nicked from elsewhere (usually attributed to Einstein) that he's parroting, & now more people will associate it with edgelord villain instead.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I never played Far Cry 3, but that quote bloody annoys me-- mostly because he acts as if its some insight that he's come up with ("Did I ever tell you?"), or the game is framing it as if he's being smart or insightful by coming out with it.

But it's just a quote nicked from elsewhere (usually attributed to Einstein) that he's parroting, & now more people will associate it with edgelord villain instead.
Well yeah that guy's the psycho villain, he's not meant to be relatable. I think your reaction is the normal one.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I already knew it came from Einstein back in middle school, but that is the problem with mainstream pop culture on any level. You get something that is old, then presented as "new", "creative", or some prick thinking they "invented it".

Status
Not open for further replies.