Can Meat Eaters be Easy to Offend?

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Michael Legault said:
A factory farm typically has no respect for the animals. Which is why I went out of my way to find a source I trust. For produce too, I don't support GMO if I can help it. Or ones that use chemicals. To make good food you need good ingredients. Though I try to think of things as more than just ingredients.
About GMOs... I actually think there's great potential for genetic modification. I mean we've selectively bred crops for millennia, wild bananas are nowhere near as edible as the bananas we eat. While I think genetically modifying crops and animals just so they can tolerate the abysmal conditions they grow in is an extremely bad practice, I think moderate genetic modification is a good thing.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Dizchu said:
I'm not criticising any economic model here, just stating basic logic. If demand is extremely high then meeting that demand will require a ridiculous amount of resources. Convenience comes at a cost, that's just how it is.
The alternative is to not meet the food demand. An artificially low supply then means exorbitant prices that end up hurting the most vulnerable among us.

Changing nearly anything seems to have a negative elastic effect on something else. It's really hard to enact good policies that are purely good. I just want to make sure we're advocating for something that will actually have a net good rather than a mild good with a significant negative.

Never said it was, but it's the result of these insanely high demands. The root of the environmental concerns is how much people consume and how much it costs to provide the product.
No, it isn't, in times of lower demands we often have even severe waste. Also, before the industrial complex we had a much larger issue with spoilage. It just so happens that in developed Western countries that waste from unnecessary discarding of food is common. But it less developed nation they have a huge problem with spoilage. I'm not sure how you think waste is in any way a product of industry.

We are biologically evolved to want to reproduce, yet asexuals and people who don't want kids exist. Humans have instincts yes, but we also have intellect and self-awareness. An "appeal to tradition" fallacy is an argument that relies on "that's just the way things are". But "the way things are" have changed drastically over the millennia. There are plenty of things that we've evolved with that have proved unnecessary or even detrimental to us, so it's not a good basis for argument.
I'm not sure how describing groups of people with specific traits dismisses the general population's evolutionary traits. Again, this is like telling someone who says they're straight, "Well, you say you're born straight but there are totally people who are asexual or gay". So what? Them being whatever doesn't impact that person being what they are.

If there was a demographic of people who hate the taste of meat, that wouldn't trivialize the average person who is naturally evolved to appreciate meat.

Evolutionary psychology explains why people are the way they are, not why they ought to be the way they are. It's an explanation, not a justification.
Are you saying that you are the authority on what people "ought" to be? I just presented a peer reviewed paper that shows lettuce as having three times the emissions of bacon per calorie. I think you ought to start eating bacon every time you think about a leafy salad :p

But I've already explained that it's not the suffering at time of death that's the concern, it's the suffering during life. Just like humans "evolved to eat meat", pigs, chickens and cows didn't evolve to live in extremely dense populations. I mean free-range farming is artificial too, but it doesn't come close.
Thanks to biological engineering cows have experienced significant engineering. Are you certain that some of the impacts of our tinkering with their biology and our practices haven't led to a micro-evolution of cows that are evolved to live in dense populations? I'm unsure that a cow who has only ever experienced dense populations isn't entirely adapted to it the same way humans learn to adapt to similar conditions when it's forced upon us.

Could they be a lot happier and freer? Sure, but we don't really know what cows are thinking. We see pictures of this herd animal packed in with a lot of others and we try to inject our own human feelings and wants on them. Personification is cute and all but it isn't always right.

False dichotomy. Tomatoes and broccoli are not the only non-meat foods.
The thing is, there are a LOT of other items that are right around there or higher than chicken. That table didn't compare all food items. The point is that chicken and pork compare equally and sometimes better than staples of the vegetarian community. You seem to accept that point so the contrast of vegetarian to omnivore isn't that stark.

Correction: Some fruits and veggies have a higher carbon footprint than some meats. If you are willing to accept that there's a difference in the impact lamb, beef and chicken have on the environment then you must also accept that there's a difference between tomatoes, apples, oranges, etc.
What do you believe is an acceptable carbon footprint for a calorie and why do you value it at that? There's plenty of studies comparing food types but there's not much saying that the carbon footprint being 6 points higher actually means dick all. I'm not making a point here, I'm asking because I genuinely don't know. Sure, beef is just over double that of a tomato but does that mean it's particularly bad or is that value relatively meaningless, like having a 13 watt fluorescent bulb instead of a 7 watt LED. Sure, 13 watts is just over 7 watts but 13 watt is perfectly acceptable.

What should be our target threshold for carbon footprint per calorie and why?

I posted references to studies that have indicated otherwise so at best this is inconclusive.
No, you posted a reference to a blog. Any studies you have presented are still back in emission per tonnage thinking which is dishonest (of them, not you) at best.

That implies I eat leafy salads on a comparable level. The common misconception is that vegans and vegetarians eat a lot of fruit and vegetables to compensate for the lack of meat (the term "vegetarian" is misleading). Every other food group is ignored.
Ok, so tell me what you eat. On average.

These numbers don't jive with the actual studies produced (this is not a study, this is a blogger interpretation of other data).

Does this not count as an "actual study"?
Ok, here's the thing, I used to have to grade statistical studies on their adherence to statistical norms. So this kind of thing is actually my jam, so to speak.

Here is a summary of the points I'm about to discuss below:
1. The emissions here are actually in emission per weight which we already discussed is misleading and inflated since plants weigh less than meat and contain fewer calories per gram.
2. The study is for the UK but the blogger is applying them to the US which isn't the same demographic.
3. The study is using the blogger's calculator which has old numbers. A study that uses an anti-meat site's calculator is expressing a result bias.
4. The study failed to randomize sample size and acknowledges it as a problem (the cohort of vegetarians had significantly healthier eating habbits than the general population and the friends/family they recruited deviated from the general population of meat eaters).
5. The study failed to account for waste emissions which are much higher in veggies and fruit. This is HUGE and the study acknowledges that this could have significantly reduced the difference between categories and even linked to a 2013 study that indicated veggies would be much higher waste emitters.
6. The study acknowledges that the emission estimates it used have significant issues and are not within the degree of certainty that the paper itself was in.

<spoiler=Click for the breaking apart of the study to make the points in the summary above>The numbers in the blog were the blogger's own extrapolations of the data. Or did you not notice that this is a UK study regarding UK emissions and the blogger was appropriating it for use in the US?

If you were to crack open the study, you'd see that the numbers are also all obtained by emissions from weight:

"with animal-based products generally having much greater emissions than
plant-based products per unit weight"

So, they found the emission ratio using weight while the diet size itself was supposed to be in a 2,000 calorie diet. I know you probably saw the blogger referencing calories and thought that the emissions were per calorie but they aren't. Once again a study has fallen prey to using weight as the qualifier which does not directly correlate to a calorie diet emission.

Please note that the study itself has one other major issue that I would mark it down on. The sample size is not random. They recruited mostly through vegetarian sites to get all of the samples.

Participants were resident in the UK and recruited through collaborating general
practitioners, by post via vegetarian and vegan societies, and by adverts in vegetarian and
health food magazines. Participants were also asked to recruit friends and relatives
(?snowballing?).

Do you believe that people who frequent vegetarian sites are a valid cross-section of the overall population of the UK? Because there's no way to confirm that. While the sample size is large, failure to sufficiently randomize the sample is a major problem. This would be like a polling center going to republican sites and asking them to recruit democrat family members to respond to the study. Not only would republicans who are passionate enough to frequent such a site not necessarily be a cross-section of all republicans, but the people they recruit may not be a cross section of democrats either.

Also note that the data used in this 2014 study was from 2007. The study released this year that found lettuce to be three times the emissions of bacon is a newly released study and pertains directly to the US.

It's funny that carbonfootprint.com references this study because this study also references carbonfootprint.com as where it got its carbon emission footprint calculator from. The problem is that carbonfootprint.com's value for meat is higher than the sources this study used and the blog acknowledges that the calculator is wrong in the comments of the blog. That's already 3 points of difference. What's more is that it groups goat and beef into the same category but we both know goat is MUCH higher despite being consumed far less. So if they took the average of the two meat type's emission then it skews the average value for beef way out of the ball park. They should not have combined beef and goat meat.

I mean, look at their own discussion (I'm posting things as I run across them): "The
GHG estimates for food items used in this paper are subject to uncertainty that is not captured in
the confidence intervals shown in this paper"

They even acknowledge that they didn't consider food waste and that vegetable and fruit waste emissions are known to be higher than meat products:

Throughout the analyses presented here we have assumed that GHG emission related to food wastage is
reasonably similar across all food groups, but this may not be the case. Estimates of food wastage
in the UK suggest that wastage of fruit and vegetables is higher than for meat products (Quested
et al. 2013), which could reduce the difference in GHG emissions between the dietary groups.

As I already showed you, there is far more waste from vegetables and fruit.

Also, the study noted that reported food weights in survey format studies of meat frequently include bones and skin which would inflate the estimate of emissions.

Oh man: "The diets observed in the EPIC-Oxford cohort may not represent current consumption
patterns in the UK."
Not only because the data is from the 1990s but because the friends and family of vegetarians don't necessarily represent UK (told you!) and because the people on the sites tended to eat healthier than the general vegetarian population. So they even acknowledged the randomization issue here.

The spoiler above includes direct quotes of the paper's discussion section which is quite damning of their emission numbers' validity. As I stated, the first problem is that they erroneously used emission by weight to get the emission number.

Well that's amusing because I was referring to the Wikipedia article and not the blog post, which I mainly used because the infographics were consistent with the data from the studies. The infographic you posted came from an article that contradicted what you were arguing so I was unaware that you wanted nothing but professional studies.
I cited the infographic and the study it was cited from. Did you read the study itself? It was just a study on emissions of plants and meat so it didn't have all the complexities and failures of the study you presented. It also successfully compared emissions to calories with emissions to weight to explain why one is better than the other.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/ehs/Docs/Understanding_CAFOs_NALBOH.pdf This PDF should outline the biggest risks of CAFO farming, among the most worrying are fresh water pollution, antibiotic resistance and methane, as well as the difficulty regulating such intensive operaitons. Predictably the benefits of CAFOs are increased produce and reduced cost. Predictably the benefits of CAFOs are increased produce and reduced cost, not any environmental or health benefits.
The study is talking about local environmental pollution. Not emissions. You and I can agree all day long that CAFOs take a massive dump on their immediate area. Like, literally where fertilizer and animal waste are concerned.

But that's not overall emission. CAFO's perform better on emissions than small scale farms as we discussed where emissions to calories and even weight is concerned.

Also, a CAFO is required to have permits regarding disposal and use of the manure. We do limit what they can do and if they go over then that's a failure to regulate.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
Anybody can be offended, especially those who follow the norms to the T. There are people out there who cannot fathom the fact that there are persons who have different successful lifestyles from them.

Patathatapon

Jul 30, 2011
I think it's the inherent difference between the silent majority and the vocal minority. If you go on forums, most people will ignore your post. Maybe they'll read it, but they won't respond simply because they don't care enough. So the only people who will respond are only the people who care enough on either end. Thus you get all the easily offended radicals.

In person it's a bit of a different story. Most people I know realize the meat industry is shit. They just don't care, because they don't believe them not eating it is going to change anything (I agree with that sentiment too). So people in person who do that are either:

A): Purposely fucking with you because they think your silly

B): Just idiots.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Lightknight said:
The alternative is to not meet the food demand. An artificially low supply then means exorbitant prices that end up hurting the most vulnerable among us.
Or eat fewer foods that are unsustainable for the environment. You keep hammering in this point that somehow I should be eating chicken because broccoli has a higher carbon footprint per calorie (and as I said a few posts back, where are these "Kentucky Fried Broccoli" chains?). Yeah this might mean that meat should be more costly, but certain fish have increased in price because they are becoming too few.

Are you saying that you are the authority on what people "ought" to be?
Of course not, and neither do you. You can't use evolutionary psychology to justify behaviours, only explain them. How many times do I have to say this?

I think you ought to start eating bacon every time you think about a leafy salad :p
Again, false dichotomy.

Thanks to biological engineering cows have experienced significant engineering. Are you certain that some of the impacts of our tinkering with their biology and our practices haven't led to a micro-evolution of cows that are evolved to live in dense populations?
No animal of that size can ever evolve to live in conditions as restrictive as they do. If they're so suited to their environment, why does the lack of exercise and cramped conditions cause so much injury and disease? We can pump them full of as many antibiotics and steroids as we want, they're simply not meant to live in that way.

Personification is cute and all but it isn't always right.
Because as we all know, humans are the only animals that have instinctual self-preservation and autonomy.

The point is that chicken and pork compare equally and sometimes better than staples of the vegetarian community.
There's no "staples of the vegetarian community". A vegetarian diet literally excludes one food group, that's all there is to it.

What should be our target threshold for carbon footprint per calorie and why?
Why are you asking me? There's a food group that is a heavy burden on the environment when there's such high demand, all I think is that less of it should be consumed.

Ok, so tell me what you eat. On average.
Why is my diet relevant? You're making assumptions about my diet and that of others that don't eat meat. The fact is, you can't make those assumptions because everyone is different. When I said "I don't really eat leafy salads" that was to counter your assertion, nothing more.

2. The study is for the UK but the blogger is applying them to the US which isn't the same demographic.
You're right, it isn't. People in the USA consume an additional 40-50% meat per individual. http://chartsbin.com/view/12730

5. The study failed to account for waste emissions which are much higher in veggies and fruit. This is HUGE and the study acknowledges that this could have significantly reduced the difference between categories and even linked to a 2013 study that indicated veggies would be much higher waste emitters.
But this isn't a veggie vs. meat eater debate. It's curious how you persistently try to make this personal, you inquire about my diet and make assumptions about vegetarian/vegan diets. Which is irrelevant. The fact that the amount of fruit and veg that is wasted has to be taken into account to reduce the difference relates to my "supply and demand" point from earlier. The fact that less meat is wasted yet still causes more CO2 emissions per calorie than most other foods does not support your argument very well.

Please note that the study itself has one other major issue that I would mark it down on. The sample size is not random. They recruited mostly through vegetarian sites to get all of the samples.
Yeah and I recognise that as a weakness. But, let's not forget this, the argument you're making hinges on "a kilo of broccoli causes more CO2 emissions than a kilo of chicken".

Do you believe that people who frequent vegetarian sites are a valid cross-section of the overall population of the UK?
Are you asking me if I believe that vegetarian sites are a good place to find... vegetarians?

This would be like a polling center going to republican sites and asking them to recruit democrat family members to respond to the study.
I really don't think the ratio of Republicans to Democrats is anywhere near the ratio of meat eaters to vegetarians. You're talking about a minority group in comparison to a majority group.

The study released this year that found lettuce to be three times the emissions of bacon is a newly released study and pertains directly to the US.
Yeah, the study that led to a bunch of clickbait "those pesky vegetarians aren't as great as they think they are" news articles. Which all made the same mistake you're making.

Lettuce and broccoli aren't substitutions for meat in a diet that lacks meat. I mean, generally there's lettuce in beef burgers am I right? What I'd like to see is how much of that lettuce is produced for salads and how much of it is produced for Big Macs.

The study is talking about local environmental pollution. Not emissions. You and I can agree all day long that CAFOs take a massive dump on their immediate area. Like, literally where fertilizer and animal waste are concerned.
You're forgetting about methane here. Also "local environmental pollution" doesn't happen in a closed system. Water sources can spread over continents.

Also, a CAFO is required to have permits regarding disposal and use of the manure. We do limit what they can do and if they go over then that's a failure to regulate.
Many aspects of this are highly debatable. You're assuming:

1) The regulations are adhered to
2) The regulations themselves are of a sufficient standard

Let's not ignore how many corners get cut by industries to maximize profit.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
sheppie said:
Silvanus said:
Well, you're rather changing the question there. You've assumed the vegetarian in question has been going around reminding meat eaters of stuff, or criticising their choices. Neither of those were part of the premise.
Maybe not the premise, but the smugness and offensiveness of vegans is just... so overwhelming.
I think that this handily demonstrates that the answer to the OP is unequivocally 'yes, meat easters can be easy to offend'. Certainly not all meat eaters, or even many, but some.

I mean, this individual finds the very existence of vegans offensive, irrespective of if they've even mentioned their diet in any kind of proselytising or preachy or political manner. Can't get much more easily offended than that.

Totenkreuz

Aug 31, 2013
I get kinda scared when I see a multiquote post time after another but I wanted to say this:
I myself doesn't really get defensive when confronted by a vegetarian or when I notice one and can talk to him/her about it. Instead I get somewhat condescending toward them, not something I really want to do, or be proud of, but I have some sort of "superior complex" in this regard as I can't really see the downsides of eating and processing meat when it is brought up.
Just as a note here, I have almost 0% knowledge of anything related to the productions of meat nor do I have any greater understanding of everything and anything it can do to my health so I'm probably not speaking from anything but my own view here.

Wait, this didn't go aswell as I wanted, lets try this again, hmmm.
I don't really get angry toward anyone, but I can get annoyed and this is a perfect example I believe. People say and show all kinds of evidence against and for meat/greenstuff, but I don't really get it as "this is why you should change to meat/fruits", why do we have to change something just because it's better or worse? Why can't we just do things that we want? We don't have to be as efficent as possible in every aspect. Do we?

I'm sorry if I'm coming out a tad random but this topic, and many others, just doesn't spark anything but confusion from me. In the end, why are we talking as if there is only one answer to this, either you go "meat" or you go "no meat" why this ultimate answer mentallity?
I'm sorry, probably most people here doesn't really go for what I just said but I hope you understand my ramblings and what I just wanted to get across. Thanks for your time.

Cheers.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I've had pretty good discussions in the past with vegans over what they think is going to happen once everyone becomes vegan.

A lot of vegans don't seem to have given a thought to what becomes to the animals afterward. Do they think the farmers are going to live in peace and harmony with those animals, or is it more likely that they'll all be slaughtered and the land turned over to farming crops for human consumption. What becomes of the rare breeds that are pretty much only kept around because people want to eat them.

The same happened with fox hunting over here. A cruel and barbaric sport but no-one seems to think on what was going to happen after it was banned. Farmers and landowners now have no reason to let foxes, which are mostly considered to be vermin, remain on their land. The fox population is on the decline as whole family groups are now getting wiped out instead of one or two as with the hunt.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Totenkreuz said:
I'm sorry if I'm coming out a tad random but this topic, and many others, just doesn't spark anything but confusion from me. In the end, why are we talking as if there is only one answer to this, either you go "meat" or you go "no meat" why this ultimate answer mentallity?
Personally I think a reduction in consumption is what should ideally be aimed at, not a complete end to the meat industry. For the foreseeable future, some sort of industry needs to exist. Even if humans stopped eating meat (as unlikely as that is), we keep pets that rely very heavily on meat. PETA's stance on this is particularly awful, they firmly believe that animals that literally cannot survive without meat should be put on vegan diets just because supplements exist.

It is pretty frustrating how so many people think it's a black-and-white issue, we can only have one extreme or the other.

votemarvel said:
I've had pretty good discussions in the past with vegans over what they think is going to happen once everyone becomes vegan.

A lot of vegans don't seem to have given a thought to what becomes to the animals afterward. Do they think the farmers are going to live in peace and harmony with those animals, or is it more likely that they'll all be slaughtered and the land turned over to farming crops for human consumption. What becomes of the rare breeds that are pretty much only kept around because people want to eat them.
That's a really good point. I think expecting everyone to become vegan is pretty delusional (especially when certain indigenous groups literally cannot survive without meat) and trying to pressure people into doing so is a pretty bad idea. It's not the magic solution, no matter how much PETA wants to claim it is. What people should actually be advocating is moderation.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Thanks for the responses. I've enjoyed the discussion with you. I may be out of the loop until Monday just FYI but I will come back to see what you've said.

Dizchu said:
Lightknight said:
Or eat fewer foods that are unsustainable for the environment. You keep hammering in this point that somehow I should be eating chicken because broccoli has a higher carbon footprint per calorie (and as I said a few posts back, where are these "Kentucky Fried Broccoli" chains?). Yeah this might mean that meat should be more costly, but certain fish have increased in price because they are becoming too few.
Why are you singling out meat? Plants should be more expensive too under your regime according to their emission.

Please keep in mind that study I posted that was released this month where if we just changed our diet to meat the USDA's recommendations (less meat more veggies) that we'd be increasing energy use by nearly 40% and water use by 10%. That's not even going full vegetarian but just less servings of meat. That's also assuming we also reduce calorie intake just like you're recommending. If we ate less meat but maintained calorie intake then those numbers get much higher. Vegetarians exceed the USDA's recommendations of less meat and as such many may be actually inducing more harm to the environment without even knowing it just because previous studies foolishly used emissions per weight without ever pausing to think that we don't weigh our food by the tonnage before plating it but do consider it by the calorie. This has been a tremendous source of misleading data for us. This is major, people have been told to eat organic or do this or that in order to have a positive impact on the environment and have inadvertently been doing the opposite due to a lie.

I'm not saying that this makes vegetarianism bad. It just means that if you follow the number of servings of each food type in a vegetarian pyramid then you can easily do more harm than good unless you're specifically eating according to emissions which is something an omnivore can do too without cutting out several meats. Do you personally have a chart at home of emissions by food type or are you just eating things you want according to food group and nutrition?

Do you think we should form a food police? Limit and regulate population calorie intake? I'd love to see the black market that produces. Crack dealers become chicken dealers... Perhaps we should attach battery cables to food criminals' testicals and shock them every time they salivate? Are you OK with revoking individual rights in order to make them conform to your policies? Or are you just saying that if every person joined hands and sang a song in unison then unicorns and rainbows would appear and the future would be set? People aren't going to want to do this. It is within our nature to resist this both along the lines of forfeiting our personal freedom and our instinct to store.

The solution isn't to reduce supply though. High supply means cheap food which is good for the poor and I tend to get all pissy when people start advocating things that would hurt them. Not only that, but our country has a significantly lower spoilage waste proportion than other countries so we're actually doing better along the lines of the supply and demand ratios. So you're railing against the wrong country on these lines.

I know I've been sounding snarky here and there with my reductio absurdums, but one way to achieve this is to place an efficiency tax on the worst offenders that is specifically used to improve efficiency within those industries. This is a viable solution and considering the volume of food items sold it can end up only being a couple pennies per item rather than dollar shifting issues like screwing with the supply causes.

Of course not, and neither do you. You can't use evolutionary psychology to justify behaviours, only explain them. How many times do I have to say this?
That depends, if you're talking about telling people to eat less and I'm telling you that we naturally want a layer of fat to protect from scarce times then we are talking about demanding people do things they don't want to do.

Again, false dichotomy.
Not really, the inherent understanding is that if you were going to reach for a leafy salad that a person who eats bacon instead would be doing three times better than you. I'm comparing a very popular vegetarian food item with a very popular omnivore food item. The comparison is valid though I also understand that you could eat something like brussel sprouts or nuts instead of either and come in lower.

No animal of that size can ever evolve to live in conditions as restrictive as they do.
This fact brought to us from thin air? You are making assumptions here. Humans born in these conditions adapt to them and we aren't even evolved for large herd groups.

If they're so suited to their environment, why does the lack of exercise and cramped conditions cause so much injury and disease? We can pump them full of as many antibiotics and steroids as we want, they're simply not meant to live in that way.
And yet the way they're living has drastically reduced emissions. Which do you place a higher premium on, free range cows or the environment? Because at the moment it's mathematically impossible for you to have both. We're more likely to come up with various strains of bacteria that consume waste and break down emissions than we are to have free range cows suddenly start producing enough calories per level of emission to compete with large farms. Imagine you are the supreme ruler of how cows are produced but cannot prevent them from being produced. Do you help the environment by leaving industry in place or do you help cows living conditions by requiring free range only?

Personification is cute and all but it isn't always right.
Because as we all know, humans are the only animals that have instinctual self-preservation and autonomy.
I'm unsure what your point is. Cows are already naturally large herd animals (as compared to humans which are small core family herd animals) and have been frequently kept in close proximity for all of humans' cultivation history of them. Same with buffalos who were at one point so numerous that they packed themselves into similar density rates naturally. So the close proximity may not be causing them any anxiety at all and we are just projecting that on them. The work of Temple Grandin did tremendous good in reducing stress being imposed on the cows and the industry really responded to it and benefitted from making the animals more at home. Yes, they are packed closely together but they are significantly less stressed now than they were back in the 70s. Things have only gotten better. More than half of the beef facilities in the US follow her designs.

There's no "staples of the vegetarian community". A vegetarian diet literally excludes one food group, that's all there is to it.
Every demographic has staples. Staples are merely the most common foods of any demographic. While I do understand that ignorant people asking if you get tired of eating salads all the time is reaching to point of asking black people about fried chicken in offense to the individual, the numbers bear out a significantly higher consumption of lettuce and several of the highest emitters.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/78/3/626S/T4.expansion.html

Criticisms I have of this study (to be consistent if I'm going to criticize yours):

1. Low sample size proportion of vegetarians (they have over 13,000 respondents and only around 324 vegetarian respondents. That doesn't make this a bad study but the proportion of the respondents do not match the proportion of vegetarians to omnivores. This either means that vegetarians were significantly fewer in the US at the time of the study which is possible or there was an issue of randomizing the sample size to equally attract vegetarians). However, depending on how the randomization was off, 300+ samples is plenty to perform a study on the vegetarian population if they were spread out regionally. I will also point out that this study is decidedly pro-vegetarian so the randomization isn't as important to your side of things as it is to mine since randomization typically benefits bias.

2. The study is from 2003. A number of leafy green alternatives like Quinoa have exploded on the market. However, newly introduced food items tend to have significantly higher carbon emissions until the market matures.

3. The study is grouping Vegans along with Vegetarians. So the animal derived numbers like lactose are deflated.

Take last year for example, quinoa recipes were the most common vegetarian dishes viewed and downloaded (I just googled most common vegetarian foods and a few recipe sites had published this by year and quinoa has been mighty popular across all of them). Yet quinoa has an incredibly high carbon footprint (even just accounting for the transportation alone) and it has recently been learned that our demand for it has caused poor south American inhabitants to be unable to afford what was once a staple in their diet and that is causing some pretty significant issues for them (particularly Bolivia). Though, I admit this wouldn't just be vegetarians downloading those recipes.

I'll also point out that vegetarians appear to drink more than twice as much wine and wine is a significant carbon emitter. Apparently to the point where environment conscious wine enthusiasts have established a break even line down the middle of the country to determine when a Californian wine is more environmentally friendly compared to a wine from France.

Why are you asking me? There's a food group that is a heavy burden on the environment when there's such high demand, all I think is that less of it should be consumed.
Heavy how and by what definition? What is heavy and what is light? We've established that lettuce is three times that of bacon? But is either of those high? Is emitting twice what a tomato emits per calorie bad or are these both not really that bad individually? Just because people eat a lot of beef so the total footprint of the industry is large doesn't mean that swapping it out with something else would be better. Like we already stated, just moving over to a less meat model appears to make things worse in energy consumption, water usage, and overall emissions.

The emissions produced by agriculture in general is largely necessary. We aren't going to see it magically go away. Even reducing to the recommended calories you're talking about is just a 9% reduction. That's downward sure, but still less than 5% overall which isn't going to change the fact that feeding humans incurs cost.

You're right, it isn't. People in the USA consume an additional 40-50% meat per individual. http://chartsbin.com/view/12730
It's not just down to raw numbers, our emissions per calorie are lower too. Remember, the UK has to import a hell of a lot of food and that's an instant jump in their food emissions since transportation is a major emitter. Me, I can go to my neighbor and by beef and cheese. I can go to my other neighbor and get chicken, eggs and veggies. I can literally watch my plant and animal food grow year round if I want to purchase from them and cut out transportation, pesticides (if they use pesticides, it's usually a jalapeno, garlic, onion blend because they have an organic rating). As far as I'm concerned my own personal carbon emission would require it's own separate emissions testing. But my main point is that we have these farms all over the country and major retailers like Walmart *shudder* are beginning to source local foods in a way that has to have a tremendous impact on transportation emissions.

But this isn't a veggie vs. meat eater debate. It's curious how you persistently try to make this personal, you inquire about my diet and make assumptions about vegetarian/vegan diets. Which is irrelevant. The fact that the amount of fruit and veg that is wasted has to be taken into account to reduce the difference relates to my "supply and demand" point from earlier. The fact that less meat is wasted yet still causes more CO2 emissions per calorie than most other foods does not support your argument very well.
You literally presented this study as a counter to my comments on how much worse veggies are than we thought. I'm showing that they missed HUGE emissions that are much higher in veggies and they even acknowledged it. That's not even addressing that the emissions were calculated by weight and not calorie which is an even bigger mistake. With all that in mind, the study just released may be exactly in line when waste and emission per calorie is concerned. Then again, the data is old in the one you linked so who knows what has changed.

We have been discussing both the overall merits of various diets as well as your own internal consistency. You have placed a premium on your desire to remain internally consistent. If you'd like me to stop following that chain of thought then I'm more than happy to do so. I just wanted to point out areas of inconsistency in your environmental focus on vegetarianism compared to the actual impact of vegetarianism which, as of 2015, appears to have exceeded meat diets overall. It's no wonder if something like lettuce is that much higher though.

Yeah and I recognise that as a weakness. But, let's not forget this, the argument you're making hinges on "a kilo of broccoli causes more CO2 emissions than a kilo of chicken".
No, my argument is that emissions per calories between many popular veggies and fruits are similar or higher than several types of meat and also not that far from the emissions per calorie of beef albeit still lower.

"Emissions per kilo" is something I've been systematically disputing because we eat by calories, not weight. If we take away a kg of meat we have to replace the calorie loss with significantly more kgs of whatever else due to the calorie efficiency of meat. So it has been dishonest of researchers to use weight in the past.

Do you believe that people who frequent vegetarian sites are a valid cross-section of the overall population of the UK?
Are you asking me if I believe that vegetarian sites are a good place to find... vegetarians?
No, I'm asking if vegetarians who care enough to frequent a vegetarian centered site are going to be representative of the overall population of vegetarians or will they likely express even healthier lifestyles like the study acknowledges in their own criticisms?

The study released this year that found lettuce to be three times the emissions of bacon is a newly released study and pertains directly to the US.
Yeah, the study that led to a bunch of clickbait "those pesky vegetarians aren't as great as they think they are" news articles. Which all made the same mistake you're making.
No, studies have recently figured out that emission to calories is the correct quantifier which already put plants in a less superior emission place. The 2015 study saw greater emissions in lettuce and fewer emissions in pork. However, do remember that pork was already low on the list of emitters to begin with so them saying "bacon" isn't really that novel. The three times higher emissions is, but bacon being unhealthy does not mean it is automatically going to emit more. I'm sure the study still has beef above lettuce though.

I'm sorry if the study's findings have led people to levy insults at you. That doesn't make the findings untrue though. It is in line with other studies that have adjusted for emissions by calorie. Since you appear to personally eat low carbon foods, then at least you have a personal rebuttal to address such insults.

Lettuce and broccoli aren't substitutions for meat in a diet that lacks meat. I mean, generally there's lettuce in beef burgers am I right? What I'd like to see is how much of that lettuce is produced for salads and how much of it is produced for Big Macs.
A sliver of lettuce isn't really in the same ballpark as a bowl of it. The study did show vegetarians as having eaten nearly 50% more lettuce than beef eaters but I'm not certain if they tracked a sliver of lettuce on a burger or not. I personally do not enjoy lettuce on burgers for what its worth. The heat of the burger screws with the texture of the lettuce in an unpleasant way. I do like tomato though. But vegetarians do eat 27% more tomatoes too.

You're forgetting about methane here. Also "local environmental pollution" doesn't happen in a closed system. Water sources can spread over continents.
Methane is included in the other emission studies. Seeing as fertilizer is a tremendous contributor to local environmental pollution then I hope you can see why this isn't a problem that is mutually exclusive to meat.

Many aspects of this are highly debatable. You're assuming:

1) The regulations are adhered to
2) The regulations themselves are of a sufficient standard

Let's not ignore how many corners get cut by industries to maximize profit.
If 1 is not true, then that shit needs to get taken care of. You can I could picket arm in arm on that crap (teehee, manure puns).

If 2 is not true then that should also be fixed.

You're not going to get an argument out of me on these points. Producing food sustainably should be part of the price of the food. What's sad is that it would be a trivial amount of just pennies per item to fix this overall.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Not at all. Vegetarians and vegans are a nightmare though - they look at you like some kind of hitler for liking meat. It's not my fault I'm a logical human being.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
chocolate pickles said:
Not at all. Vegetarians and vegans are a nightmare though - they look at you like some kind of hitler for liking meat. It's not my fault I'm a logical human being.
Pretty ironic since Hitler was a veggie. ;)

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
I've found that most everybody is easy to offend, when you make broad uncompromising comments about whatever they're doing. Veganism for instance is unsustainable for the amount of population that we have. Therefore NOBODY SHOULD BE VEGAN!
See what I mean?

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
No, my argument is that emissions per calories between many popular veggies and fruits are similar or higher than several types of meat and also not that far from the emissions per calorie of beef albeit still lower.

"Emissions per kilo" is something I've been systematically disputing because we eat by calories, not weight. If we take away a kg of meat we have to replace the calorie loss with significantly more kgs of whatever else due to the calorie efficiency of meat. So it has been dishonest of researchers to use weight in the past.
Just had to respond to this...

Within any diet, fruit and vegetables are not an important source of calories. The nutritional value of that food group is in things like certain vitamins and fibers. Vegetarians are also not going around by replacing meat with heaps veggies, because meat serves a different purpose within diets. It's not just a source of calories, but also of, for instance, vitamin B6, B12 and iron. So if you decide to stop eating meat, you're going to have a big sickly problem if you don't replace it properly. Generally this means eating a bit more of other food groups. Nuts are a good source of protein and iron, so adding a handful of those to your daily food intake helps. Beans are pretty great too.

Whether these replacements come with a worrysome carbon footprint depends on the choices you make. My neighbours have a walnut tree and I buy a few kilo from them every year. You'd have a hard time measuring the carbon footprint of those walnuts. Imported almonds, however, are a whole different story. It's the same with veggies and fruit. Pay attention to what can be grown locally and to when it's in season, and you'll leave much smaller carbon food prints.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
Dizchu said:
chocolate pickles said:
Pretty ironic since Hitler was a veggie. ;)
And we see how well THAT turned out.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
I'm not gonna go into detail for every point and I think it'd be best to leave the discussion here (at least for now). I feel weird about dominating my own thread, like it's a soapbox or something. So I'll try to make this concise and then I'll be on my way (it is Christmas Eve after all).

Lightknight said:
Why are you singling out meat? Plants should be more expensive too under your regime according to their emission.
Maybe they should be? Maybe they should come in smaller portions? Personally I think smaller portions of fruit and veg would be great instead of encouraging bulk purchases, because fresh fruit and veg just don't last that long.

Do you personally have a chart at home of emissions by food type or are you just eating things you want according to food group and nutrition?
Personally all I do is refrain from eating meat and make sure that the amount of food I buy is minimal. I'm the kind of person that'd buy 6 bread rolls for ?0.80 instead of 12 for ?0.99, if 6 is all I need. In addition to reduced consumption, I think consumer practices like this should be advocated. A bit of a tangential point, but I think supermarkets should stop encouraging buying fresh foods in bulk.

That depends, if you're talking about telling people to eat less and I'm telling you that we naturally want a layer of fat to protect from scarce times then we are talking about demanding people do things they don't want to do.
It's called compromising and everyone has to do it in some form or another. Due to the excesses of globalisation and production, we make fewer and fewer compromises. There are ways to incentivise this, in my country we've charged customers for plastic carrier bags to encourage re-using old bags. It was annoying at first but we've grown accustomed to it (not sure if England has reached that stage yet though). At some point we have to realise that certain things we take for granted at present are unsustainable.

This fact brought to us from thin air? You are making assumptions here. Humans born in these conditions adapt to them and we aren't even evolved for large herd groups.
Humans aren't born into those conditions unless they are severely impoverished, and their low quality of life certainly doesn't indicate that they "adapted" to them.

It's not just down to raw numbers, our emissions per calorie are lower too.
Sure, but if they eat 40-50% more meat than us, they also consume 40-50% more calories. Now maybe the "lower emissions" from the US compensates for that, that's certainly possible.

You literally presented this study as a counter to my comments on how much worse veggies are than we thought.
Just to make this clear, my angle is about the rate of consumption of meat. While comparing veggies to omnivores is useful (because we're comparing standard rate of consumption to zero consumption), not all meat eaters eat the same amount of meat or the same kinds of meat. The chart you provided indicates that most meats trend towards the top of the "emissions per calorie" scale with a few vegetables being outliers.

My apologies, I made a mistake. What I meant to say that nobody eats an equivalent amount of lettuce or broccoli in calories to a steak. Even in salads, ingredients other than lettuce tend to provide the most calories. Though it's still true that people don't eat things like broccoli or lettuce by the bucketload, and for there to be a calorific equilibrium.

A 100g of chicken provides 157kcal, while the equivalent amount of lettuce provides 17.1kcal and broccoli provides 24kcal. Which means someone would have to eat eat 9 and 6.5 times as much lettuce and broccoli respectively to compare.

No, I'm asking if vegetarians who care enough to frequent a vegetarian centered site are going to be representative of the overall population of vegetarians or will they likely express even healthier lifestyles like the study acknowledges in their own criticisms?
To be fair, vegetarians are likely to consult vegetarian communities for advice on their diets and recommendations of places to eat, seeing as many popular chains have limited "vegetarian" options.

I'm sorry if the study's findings have led people to levy insults at you. That doesn't make the findings untrue though.
Not at all, I just find any clickbait to be tiring. Certainly the study has value, but when all these smug news articles get publishes about how "those silly vegetarians are such hypocrites" based on a very selective interpretation of the data, it's depressing.

Now I'm anticipating for you to say "well the people encouraging decreased meat consumption have their biases too" and that's correct. Often such studies are conducted by environmentalist/animal welfare/vegan groups and there's a conflict of interest there (usually addressed). But the "lettuce causes more pollution per calorie than bacon" conclusion does not even legitimise the "vegetarian diets cause more emissions than omnivorous diets" argument.

Methane is included in the other emission studies. Seeing as fertilizer is a tremendous contributor to local environmental pollution then I hope you can see why this isn't a problem that is mutually exclusive to meat.
Sure, but it's not an emission that is limited to the local environment. As for the excessive production of fertilizer, yes that is not exclusive to meat. But a less intensive operation could produce fertilizer that can be absorbed by the environment and grow crops, instead of producing gigantic, unusable piles of manure.

Totenkreuz

Aug 31, 2013
Dizchu said:
Totenkreuz said:
Personally I think a reduction in consumption is what should ideally be aimed at, not a complete end to the meat industry. For the foreseeable future, some sort of industry needs to exist. Even if humans stopped eating meat (as unlikely as that is), we keep pets that rely very heavily on meat. PETA's stance on this is particularly awful, they firmly believe that animals that literally cannot survive without meat should be put on vegan diets just because supplements exist.

It is pretty frustrating how so many people think it's a black-and-white issue, we can only have one extreme or the other.
That is... that is actually something I can agree about. If you want change, change it little by little as it's so much more easy to cope with and I, myself, could even agree with changing my own food habit that way. Good work! :)

I don't have that much to say about the "PETA" part as I know almost nothing about it, still, to handle anything in a "good-bad" or "black and white" way is bound to fail as real life doesn't work that way and I hope most people know it even if it's deep, deep down in their mind.

Cheers.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
I'm not sure about Meat Eaters being easy to offend, but I do Yoga with a girl who is Vegetarian and hates that I eat Chicken and Fish.

I freaking -LOVE- trolling her about it.

"I know how they're raised to slaughter, and I swear not to let their sacrifice be in vain!"
"Their living conditions suck, but their cries of agony help the meat taste better!"
"Every single thing in the ocean would eat me without a second thought; I'll eat the hell out of them! Screw Sebastian!" (She loves the Little Mermaid.)
"If they made something that tastes as good as Fried Chicken, we'd already be eating it!" (This actually prompted her to ask why all Black People like Fried Chicken, which made my day. I still laugh thinking about it. Tears of laughter and everything.)

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
This should be a no-brainer; I always have to be on the offense in order to even catch and eat the animals. So of course I'm easily offended - what good is being a hunter if you don't even have the incentive to go out and offense a deer?