Can nintendo salvage themsleves

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
jamesbrown said:
I just want to know if you think that there is any possible way for nintendo to save themsleves.
I understand the question perfectly.
And the answer is No, they cannot. More importantly they will not salvage their position as "game company that interests ME"
But I don't see that stopping them from making a ton of money off gimmicks, classic franchises and anything else they come up with.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
jamesbrown said:
from the failure that is the wii
See, had you made this about their prematurely launching the 3DS before it even had any decent launch titles, you might have had something there. But the Wii is best selling console among the "Big 3" and it helps satisfy the growing niche of casual gaming. Now you've just made yourself out to be another one of those ignorant Wii-haters who needs to accept that just because they don't like something it doesn't mean it's inherently "bad." Your credibility is now shot and there is nothing further to discuss here.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
What? They are hardling going to keel over and die any second now. Yeah, there current console (3DS) isn't doing so well, but they are Nintendo, I'm sure the 3DS represents a big investment, but if it goes tits up they still have plenty of money.

Remember when Sony got hacked? They lost money, a lot of money, a lot of goddamn money. But they didn't die, because they are a world-wide mega company. It's incredibly rare that a large company like Nintendo just ups and dies, and even if it did chances are it'd just be bought by someone.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
God, why is it nobody is predicting doom and gloom with the other companies? Seriously, why was nobody going "Oh, Sony sucks and they're DOOOOOOOOMED" after the Move failed and the hacking incident? Why doesn't anyone go "How can Capcom save themselves?" after all their recent dick moves? Why is it these threads are all but reserved for Nintendo?

And honestly, "The Wii is a failure?" If you went for the 3DS, you might have had something,even if I wouldn't have agreed. But at least then you would have had some ground to stand on. First there's the matter of sales, but I'll leave that alone.

As for the Wii not having enough hardcore games, yes, you do need to do a little more searching than the other two, but the games are there. The thing is many Wii games don't get up in the AAA-industry hype machine, which is how so many gamers decide what games they buy now instead of bothering to see what's out(but that's an issue for another day.). Muramasa the Demon Blade, No More Heroes, Madworld, House of the Dead Overkill, Red Steel 2, Sin and Punishment 2, Little King's Story, De Blob, Zack and Wiki, Xenoblade is likely to end up localized (Not sure aobut the other two Rainfall hopeful games, but one is a start), and of course all the first party games, and that's just off the top of my head. And then there is all the retro games from the Virtual Console (a godsend if you're a retro gamer but hate piracy) and the backlog of Gamecube games. There's plenty to keep the hardcore gamer occupied. And plus some people like casual games, so if that's their cup of tea, good for them. I can think of a few good casual games as well. But that isn't the point. Just because the Wii doesn't get all the super-hyped AAA juggernauts doesn't mean it doesn't get any hardcore games at all.

I still get the feeling I'm wasting my time, though...

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
jamesbrown said:
Outselling the 360 and PS3 is considered a failure these days? Man, I want to be the biggest failure ever.

Seriously, the worst blunder they've had recently is the 3DS' sales and with the price reduction it'll get some sales out of that. Even then they've got enough money to sit around doing nothing effectively for the rest of their lives and then some.

Tommeh Brownleh

May 26, 2011
Why you all gotta hate on Nintendo? They make good consoles and handhelds, like the 3DS. (come at me bro) The games for the 3DS that are coming out in the near future look good. 2 of which I have on preorder. The Wii-U doesn't look half bad, and of course, Skyward Sword. Nintendo is riding high, and although some people may not like the choices they've made, I love them.

Blemontea

May 25, 2010
Hello New Guy, this is the Escapist a collective website made for the appreciations of games by gamers. This is the Gaming Discussions forums, here we make quizzical, introspective or hilarious threads to make discussions.
This is just what we call "trolling" and if you want respect for trolling then this is not the place for you.
Good Day From
BlemonTea the man whose ass is going to get kicked by Mods.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
jamesbrown said:
I just want to know if you think that there is any possible way for nintendo to save themsleves from the failure that is the wii
Salvaging themselves from creative, critical, and financial success? No, I don't think they'll be salvaging themselves from that any time soon, nor, unfortuantely, will they salvage themselves from the reputation damage they got for opening gaming up more than ever before and for major third party developers ignoring their console.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
jamesbrown said:
I just want to know if you think that there is any possible way for nintendo to save themsleves.
You can save yourself as can Nintendo just send me money and I will save everyone!

Saving costs money kids send it to me asap!

Susan Arendt said:
jamesbrown said:
Dear Lord:

Please allow me to someday "fail" as much as the Wii has.

Yours sincerely,

Me
Well if fail is what the kids are calling money these days then I will take a truckload of fail.

Febel

Jul 16, 2010

Like people have said, the Wii is a huge financial success. How exactly does Nintendo need to save itself?

CommieX

Aug 3, 2011
Hey, I like my Wii...

It's by no means a hardcore gaming console, but why is that a bad thing? I like to play games with my non-enthusiast friends.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
jamesbrown said:
I'd hate to break it to you, but Nintendo has dominated the market with the Wii. About 55 million Xbox 360s have been sold, about 51 million PS3s have been sold and 87 million Wiis have been sold.

The Wii is not a failure, the only thing it's failed at is making Nintendo poor.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
The Wii and the 3d DS are massive hits and kids all want one. In fact its the hottest console for the Christmas period. They may make remakes but we are all not Yahtzee. Even though I sold mine I still am sad I never got to play Mario Galaxy 2.

Mr. Omega said:
Why is it these threads are all but reserved for Nintendo?
Because Yahtzee hates the Wii. Hes speaks that to his fanboys and so they instantly change their opinions to "The wii is shit"

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
enzilewulf said:
The Wii and the 3d DS are massive hits and kids all want one. In fact its the hottest console for the Christmas period. They may make remakes but we are all not Yahtzee. Even though I sold mine I still am sad I never got to play Mario Galaxy 2.
The 3DS was a 'massive hit'? What kind of sick-o dimension do you live in? The 3DS was a big failure, and the Wii U is gearing up to be a giant disappointment as well. Nintendo might not 'die', but they're going to take a few good blows.

Stephen Wo

Mar 16, 2011
Oh yes, I certainly hope Nintendo doesn't die from the infinite line of fanboys and fangirls waiting to screech eagerly at the latest console. No, certainly, it would be a tragedy if they were all killed by their artificially grown Yoshis or their army of genetically modified consumers.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
let me just check my figures.........
Nintendos first party game sales

Mario Kart Wii (28.23 million)
Wii Sports Resort (27.68 million)
Wii Play (27.38 million)
Wii Fit (22.61 million)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (21.94 million)
Wii Fit Plus (18.49 million)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (9.48 million)
Super Mario Galaxy (8.84 million)
Mario Party 8 (7.6 million)[77]
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (6.36 million)
Wii Party (5.77 million)

Best Xbox 360 and ps3 selling game
Gran Turismo 5 (6.37 million) PS3
Call of Duty: Black Ops (12 million) Xbox 360

Yeah Nintendos in real trouble............

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
enzilewulf said:
The 3DS was a 'massive hit'? What kind of sick-o dimension do you live in? The 3DS was a big failure, and the Wii U is gearing up to be a giant disappointment as well. Nintendo might not 'die', but they're going to take a few good blows.
My fault. Bad research. Just every one I know owns one. If it isn't yet then wait for the Christmas period to role around, the price drop and all the titles that are going to be coming out will help it. Yet your right. I really don't keep up with Nintendo.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
enzilewulf said:
Kopikatsu said:
enzilewulf said:
My fault. Bad research. Just every one I know owns one. If it isn't yet then wait for the Christmas period to role around, the price drop and all the titles that are going to be coming out will help it. Yet your right. I really don't keep up with Nintendo.
Just wanted to tell you your avatar is awesome, that guy totally had that punch comeing, dont know what its from or who it is but he totally had it comeing.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
enzilewulf said:
Well i wouldn't say nintendo are failing, but the wii is definitely shit, and that is MY opinion