Can/should digital download distributers ensure their games work (patch as required)?

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Anthony Corrigan said:
BeerTent said:
Anthony Corrigan said:
BeerTent said:
Anthony Corrigan said:
BeerTent said:
Dat quote train...
[...]
[...]
[...]
It's not hidden or buried at all. When you buy a piece of software, don't you at the very minimally least check if it'll actually run on your system? This is why we have the system requirements at the bottom of each product's page. If something requires 16GB of Ram, and you have 4GB, it's not the developer's fault. It's yours. If you're unsure, ask someone. There's tonnes of resources online too.

Part of having a PC means that you at least know something about it. It's not everyone else's job to coddle you because you can't be bothered to check the absolute basics. Did you know that tea is served hot too? Did you also know that according to the terms and conditions YOU agreed to on Steam, there's no refunds permitted? I think with that tid-bit of knowledge, you'd go through and figure if the purchase is right for you, instead of pulling a "Shut up and take my money!" 5 seconds after watching those hollow trailer videos.
Yep absolutely right they are MINIMUM requirements so I glance at them to make sure my system is ABOVE that, that my RAM is higher than that, that I have a newer video card etc. The operating system needs to be explicitly stated, THIS WILL NOT WORK ON WINDOWS 7, otherwise people rightly will assume that the minimum system requirements list is a Minimum of Vista not MUST BE ON VISTA
Again, this is basic. Operating systems don't work that way. This is the exact reason that page doesn't state "Minimum Windows 98." This is why they go through a slew, "98/ME/2000/XP." These operating systems were not released at the same time, that's not why they're in that list like that. They're there because these are the systems the software was designed to run on. Anything else? Good luck. I'm sorry, but I don't see how this can be confusing. We see the age of the game, we see the requirements. I'm on Win8, so I don't meet them. I can't run it.

These requirements are what the developer supports. Don't meet'em? Tough.

kiri2tsubasa said:
BeerTent said:
Then that would be a recent addition. When I got it in 2011 there was no warning. Doesn't work, will not work otherwise (even with at fan patch didn't help) gave the fuck up on ever getting it to work.
These System requirements boxes have been on every steam store page since the beginning of Steam. There is absolutely no way that this section of any store page is new. This is absolutely mandatory for any 3rd party developer as well to include this section. This is like looking at a box at Game-Stop and not seeing the big white and black box on the outside of the game case. If you don't have that section there, how will you know the software will run on anything at all? How do you know what the developer supports, and what technologies the developer used? Hell, how do you know that the disc in the case will even be readable?

I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you. But you can't say you had no idea when the resources are right in front of your face. That's like standing in front of a computer with Google open and saying "I have no dictionary. I can't look up the definition of that word."

Menageryl

Apr 4, 2014
I'm sorry, but this is turning sad... Whiny whiny whiny!
Take some responsibility for your own bloody failures!!!

EVERY game listing on Steam has a system-requirements listing. And, as per other postings in this thread: The Operating System stated in this kind of listing is NOT a minimum requirement!!! Hell, even some of the HARDWARE listed as required for some really, really old games will tell you immediately that there are likely to be issues trying to run them today!
But ANYONE that has done more than play a handful of games on their PC will know that there are SIGNIFICANT differences in generations / families of Windows OSes! It's bloody-well OBVIOUS that if a game lists Windows 2000 or earlier that there are going to be challenges using anything newer. Even having Windows XP listed means possible challenges on newer systems. And the move from 32-bit to 64-bit as "standard" has introduced additional difficulties all it's own!

Seriously: Educate yourself, do your homework. Stop whining.

I think MOST of us would prefer a world in which we can at least get a hold of older / old games and do the P.T. necessary to get them working on our systems, instead of a world where these games just become lost, unavailable.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
nesbitto said:
With regards to patches, Steam has a built-in official patch updater. They wouldn't and shouldn't touch unofficial patches with a twenty foot barge pole. They'd probably be liable for any damages if you messed up your computer.
Funnily enough a recently released game on Steam (it was released in 2006 I think) called 7.63 High Calibre comes with the possibility to install it with a patch and a mod through Steam (by going into Properties and then Betas).

The game is well known to be basicly unplayable without them (and you have to order Steam itself to download and install the mod) so I guess it makes some sense.
the hidden eagle said:
Menageryl said:
I'm sorry, but this is turning sad... Whiny whiny whiny!
Take some responsibility for your own bloody failures!!!

EVERY game listing on Steam has a system-requirements listing. And, as per other postings in this thread: The Operating System stated in this kind of listing is NOT a minimum requirement!!! Hell, even some of the HARDWARE listed as required for some really, really old games will tell you immediately that there are likely to be issues trying to run them today!
But ANYONE that has done more than play a handful of games on their PC will know that there are SIGNIFICANT differences in generations / families of Windows OSes! It's bloody-well OBVIOUS that if a game lists Windows 2000 or earlier that there are going to be challenges using anything newer. Even having Windows XP listed means possible challenges on newer systems. And the move from 32-bit to 64-bit as "standard" has introduced additional difficulties all it's own!

Seriously: Educate yourself, do your homework. Stop whining.

I think MOST of us would prefer a world in which we can at least get a hold of older / old games and do the P.T. necessary to get them working on our systems, instead of a world where these games just become lost, unavailable.
Why anyone have to do homework just to make sure they can play the game they bought?Whatever happened to I don't know....making sure a game developer releases a game that's functional?

If that's whiny to you then it just confirms my belief that people will accept any kind of bullshit.
On a PC? You really do have to take a look at things by yourself, if thats not your thing then there is a reason why consoles are so popular (seriously, the great thing about consoles is that you dont need to worry about compatibility, drivers and other small touches).

Do you really expect games where their devs already dont exist to be patched to work with every system out there? And most of the cases you can manage to find fixes out there but you have to tweak it yourself.

MLionheart

May 21, 2011
Yes, they should. No if's, no maybes. To not do so should be a crime. It's stealing in disguise.

Menageryl

Apr 4, 2014
the hidden eagle said:
Why anyone have to do homework just to make sure they can play the game they bought?Whatever happened to I don't know....making sure a game developer releases a game that's functional?

If that's whiny to you then it just confirms my belief that people will accept any kind of bullshit.
What josemlopes said only just now - and several others have said earlier in the thread:
If you're looking for a completely transparent, plug-and-play (that WORKS) gaming experience - go buy and use a console. They're very capable.
But people playing on PC either ALREADY APPRECIATE or (with a little luck, time, experience, exposure, etc.) EVENTUALLY WILL appreciate the platform for it's strengths (and forgive it it's weaknesses - including plug-and-pray only!) or will eventually game elsewhere... Those strengths being:
* Backward compatibility.
* Flexibility.
* Moddability.
* Patchability.
* The depth and breadth of the PC gaming library - BECAUSE of the above!

But these strengths are accompanied by less ease-of-use.
The MOST BASIC requirement for "untroubled" gaming on the PC is knowing a little about the hardware and software (read: Windows, primarily) that runs the damn thing. All the info you could possibly need is already listed by Steam, plus a mere web-search away!
These are the realities of the platform, people! Deal with it, or go elsewhere!