Can someone explain to me why shane dawson is so popular on youtube?

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
I mean i understand why philip defranco, smosh, tobuscus, and ray william johnson are popular; their funny. But if i were to watch a shane dawson video i can not tell if he is making a joke or looking like an idiot. Perhaps i am not the correct demographic being twenty something male.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Oddly enough, I used to think his videos were kind of funny.
I stopped watching about... 2 years ago I think. Before I was even a member here actually but they were okay. I guess it's just because it's more silliness and 3 minute random stuff people on Youtube tend to enjoy. Nothing wrong with that. It just gets kind of boring after a while.
Funny thing is those people you listed as "funny" I dont get at all. Well, Defranco I kinda get since he's just sort of a news blogger but the rest annoy the hell out of me especially RWJ.
Just seeing his stupid face on the "Featured Videos" section every time I go to Youtube gets on my nerves >.>

GrimSheeper

Jan 15, 2010
I don't know why Fred is popular either. I've never watched Ray William Johnson. I like Philly D and Toby Turner and FPS Russia, but can't get into the first two. Maybe it's personal preference. Maybe it's curiosity and boredom.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Because some people enjoy shitty things.

Frankly, I hate Defranco and Ray William Johnson. Everybody likes different things.

For everything you hate, there is any number of people who love it.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Well, all of his humor is crass. It get's boring after a while.

Now Freddiew on the other hand...
Is awesome

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
Because most of his fanbase is young teen girls who fall for that weird emo look he has. (If he's the same person I think he is)

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
I did not recognize a single name you listed it. But to answer your question to the best I can without actually looking into it.

1) because people like different things. They also grow out of liking things into liking different things. Depending on what this person does, you could be on the wrong end of the will-like-it age spectrum.

2) because even people who don't like it will watch it. View counts don't have a bias towards like/dislike and spreading it around even by talking about why you don't like it... spreads it around and then you just refer to point number 1 and the cycle continues.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
The only person I know who you're talking about is the the guy this topic's about, so I can't compare him to the other "comedians", but I don't get it either. I consider myself semi-well-versed in comedy, yet I don't get his angle. My friend linked me to it, and I felt, I could do this, this is nothing, this isn't talent. Then again, I feel the same about Tim and Eric, and they seem to have quite the fanbase as well...

zajohnson

Mar 31, 2011
I hate him.
And I'm 19 m here, haha, so you're not alone!!

Lemme give you a list of BETTER YouTube channels you didn't say. (my opinion)
EpicMealTime
FreddieW (awesome VFX channel with looots of guns)
BaratsAndBereta (sketches are sooo awesome)
MysteryGuitarMan (stop motion music and other cool vids)
juliansmith87 (almost all of his videos are just so hilarious)

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
As far as I would suppose, the main demographic of many of those channels is actually between 13 and 25 year olds.

Personally I will admit that Fred Wong is a very capable director and intelligent special effects artist and technician, but most of the other popular vloggers do not seem to have an incredible amount of talent or creativity, simply charisma.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
I used to find him funny, but I got bored after like, 5 videos?
I prefer channels like Philly D, Epic Meal Time, FreddieW, FPS Russia, etc.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
jackpackage200 said:
I mean i understand why philip defranco, smosh, tobuscus, and ray william johnson are popular; their funny. But if i were to watch a shane dawson video i can not tell if he is making a joke or looking like an idiot. Perhaps i am not the correct demographic being twenty something male.
I'm sorry, who are you talking about again? (Which...kind of answers your question, don't it?)

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
>i understand why philip defranco, smosh, tobuscus, and ray william johnson are popular; their funny
>philip defranco
>smosh
>ray william johnson
>their funny

Wat

btw idk who tobuscus is, but he's on YouTube so no thanks. Also you're not alone, Shane Dawson isn't funny at all