Can someone help me understand gamergate

kongajinken

Mar 24, 2012
Ok so I kept hearing about this, I finally got interested enough to do some research into what it is. I read the entirety of its Wikipedia page and another recap on another site.. and I still don't get it.

I don't get what each side is arguing for basically. What I have so far is this.

People that are pro gamergate are angry that video games are centered around equal representation ie more women protagonists instead of good game mechanics.

While those that are anti gamergate are are more focused on bringing up the ills like sexism to say a game is bad.

Than there is #notyourshield, who are pro gamergate-ists, which are claimed to be a bunch of fake twitter accounts saying anti gamergaters are using women as a shield for their own sjw crusades.

Did I catch all that correctly? The rest I think I understand.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Oh boy. Batten down your hatches, you're about to get bombarded with information, a lot of it likely conflicting and extremely biased one way or another.

My take: Gamergate means something to different people. No matter what anyone else says, trolling and death threats have come from BOTH SIDES, and anyone claiming their side has fewer trolls or that in spite of them they're getting enough good stuff done to excuse them is lying. This thing is so big and so out of control that at this point, absolutely nobody can say with certainty what their side of the argument wants. No matter what anybody wants, Gamergate is not going to get anything done the way it's going now.

Enough bile has come from gamergate that anybody who disagrees with it can use that as their reason for not taking it seriously, and enough bile has come from anti-gamergate that GGers can use it for their reason to not take them seriously. Enough has been said by both sides at this point that you can justify literally ANY outlook on ANY side.

So just do yourself a favor and say no. Stay out of it. Nothing is going to come of it. There's a lot of good intent, but not nearly enough to bring this thing under any sort of control.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
The foundation is pretty basic:
A guy was pissed at his female ex and wrote some crap about her.

The guy was a video game 'journalist' and the girl was video game 'developer'.

The far (American) right took over the hashtag under the guise of 'journalist integrity', whole actually using it as a means for W.H.M.C.'s to scream 'victim' because they're losing their power to do whatever they damn well please.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Both sides are at this point are arguing two completely different arguments, it's becomes a breeding ground for twitter trolls, doxxing and death threats are being thrown at both sides, said death threats and doxxing may or may not be coming from third party trolls.

my advice?

run

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Honestly, man. Don't ask here. You'll get the most biased answers. Either showing #Gamergate off as a bunch of sexist dudes, or as the shining hope for gaming journalism. It's already happened in this thread. Google it, try and find as unbiased as possible news articles on it. Cause this site is no good for getting the correct information. Whatever that may be.

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
UNBIASED EXPLANATION HOOOOOOOOO

So there's this lady Zoe Quinn who made a kind of interactive story game about depression called Depression Quest. And she had a boyfriend who was a bit nuts, and when she broke up with him, he distributed a list of her known, presumed, and imagined sexual partners. One of these dudes was a writer at Kotaku. A minor buzz erupted over whether she banged a dude for good reviews (they are, or were, together, but as it turned out he never reviewed her game).

The following expanded universe developed around this chain of events:

- The vocal minority of extreme right-wing folk on the internet inflated the issue with campaigns of threats, slut shaming, and general rabble-rousing to the effect that lefto feminists wanted to ruin video gaming. A lot of these provocateurs don't come from the gaming community but from other existing crypto-fascist movements. For instance, the dudes with a Patreon account to fund their "documentary" about feminism destroying gaming have had previous videos dropped from Youtube for blatant racism. For this crowd, gamergate became a venue to ***** about women and the elusive nature of their vaginas, with female game designers, critics, and journalists coming under the gun as either scapegoats or on-our-side supporters (see below). This debate kind of conflated gamergate with Anita Sarkeesian, who is otherwise pretty much not involved.

- Another vocal minority of angry lady bloggers and dudes who want to fuck angry lady bloggers launched kind of a counteroffensive, again scapegoating people who weren't really involved (mostly gamers themselves) as examples of larger cultural problems that need solved, such as acceptance of rape, sexism, pay inequality- generally stuff over which gamers have more or less no control. IN MY OPINION these folks aren't so bad since their platform is less overtly one of hate, but they lose points for approaching gamers, a group widely considered marginalized, and very defensive of their hobby, and telling them "you deserve marginalization and your hobby sucks" as a response to other assholes WHO ALSO AREN'T GAMERS. I guess when you believe in a cause really strongly you just gotta walk into Hobbesian trap sometimes. OTHER feminists, wanting to distinguish themselves from THESE feminists, went on big "I'm not with them" screeds that just make them seem kind of pathetic.

- A bunch of assholes started sending all sorts of people death threats, because there are lots of people who just lay in wait on the internet waiting for excuses to send out death threats. A bunch of other assholes who really weren't following the situation made videos and wrote articles about it anyway to seem important.

Somewhere in the midst of all this, the more rational people involved remembered that the whole thing started with the issue of whether a developer was trading sex for reviews (an issue that the Escapist itself brought up). These folks, let's call them not-idiots, attempted to steer gamergate into a more productive dialog about journalistic ethics in gaming. Lest that sound unimportant to you, keep in mind that gaming as an industry commands greater revenue, more employees, and FAR more trade-able market presence than feature film. The not-idiots have had some problems with this because:

- A bunch of assholes would still prefer gamergate to be about death threats and a freshman poli-sci argument about gender.

- Actual corruption in gaming journalism is widely encouraged by almost every major publisher and is stupidly hard to root out.

- Gamergate is so tainted by the specter of its initial nature that it's hard for lots of people, myself included, to switch to viewing it as a straight ethics debate.

Ultimately, like all internet outrages, gamergate is destined to be forgotten by observers, abandoned by participants, and to have little to no impact on the gaming industry, because if there is anything the internet is better at than outrage, it's apathy.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
kongajinken said:
Ok so I kept hearing about this, I finally got interested enough to do some research into what it is. I read the entirety of its Wikipedia page and another recap on another site.. and I still don't get it.
Right... here's the easiest way to understand it.

Next time you take a shit, fish it out the toilet (for simplicity's sake I'm assuming toilet use) then cut that big ol log into equal halves. Pick up a half in each hand then go to your monitor and repeatedly slap the screen with the half-jobbies, making sure to alternate between halves for each slap. When you've completely covered the screen in shit and wondering why the fuck you bothered, you'll understand gamergate.