Can someone please explain dubstep to me?

crazyhyena645

Feb 19, 2011
Kaderpillar Michael said:
Some people like powerful music. Its kind of the same philosophy as hard rock or metal. Dubstep is just the newest form of core shaking bass distortion. Here listen to this and if you don't get this you wont get dubstep because this is as good as it gets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw
your link is awesome and your totally right if you dont like this then you probably wont like dubstep.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
crazyhyena645 said:
Kaderpillar Michael said:
Some people like powerful music. Its kind of the same philosophy as hard rock or metal. Dubstep is just the newest form of core shaking bass distortion. Here listen to this and if you don't get this you wont get dubstep because this is as good as it gets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw
your link is awesome and your totally right if you dont like this then you probably wont like dubstep.
Nope, I like Dubstep, and I hate Skrillex (he didn't just go there).

Dubstep itself is a very new genre (having only been around for ten years), so admittedly many haven't tested it's waters yet. However, their has been some exceptional dubbers in it's short lifespan, with the likes of Doctor P, Skream, Bassnectar and Flux Pavilion.

To be quite honest, the genre is not for everyone, and their will always be people who just don't get it. However, if you can sort the crap out from the good, then you might find some really nice tunes that you can enjoy. Just don't write off the whole genre after listen to one, or two dub tunes. Repeated listening helps out a lot when enjoying dubstep.

In Dubstep their is smooth relaxing dub, and their is the more in your face dub.

For example, here's two skream songs. One is relaxing, while the other one is in your face.

Most dubstep is categorised with it's distinctive Wob, Wob sound, which varies in volume depending on the tune. In most cases in dubstep, the song has a drop (mostly around the minute mark), which changes the sound drastically, and these drops can last the rest of song's length. The popularity of dubstep is more prevalent in the UK (where the genre was born), however their has been a few dubstep artists from Canada, and America, where it has been slowly gaining popularity (with the likes of Britney Spears using Dubstep elements in her songs).

Also here's a extra song for you guys to enjoy, this was in fact the first dubstep song I heard, nearly a year, and a half ago.

Mazza35

Jan 20, 2011
If ye like shit loads of bass (I am a bassist, I make the room shake xD) then what's wrong with listing to something with more musical value? (I'm talking about proper melodies, chorus, well structures songs, not just wubwubwubw, which anyone can create in 5 mins) like, say a Jazz song with a mad 5 string bassist? Or if you want consistent bass, just go with some form of metal, or if ye hate screaming/growls, then go instrumental?

Just my two cents

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
As with all music, there's crap dubstep, and there's good dubstep. I'm not too fond of what's known as "brostep". Which is dubstep that is basically just wub and distortions. But when you start looking into stuff that's youknow, not Skrillex, you'll find some pirdy neat stuff.

Even if I do enjoy one or two Skrillex tracks... A bit of a guilty pleasure I guess...

Ambi

Oct 9, 2009
With modern dubstep and its variants you're usually listening to something borderline annoying and/or repetitive being manipulated, cut, and dragged out seemingly with a vengeance until it becomes this solid WUUUB WUB WUB WUB sound and that can be refreshing in a way. Also, it's generally somewhat erratic, confident, energetic, and almost otherworldly, and some people at least find that pleasurably distracting rather than irritating. It also still has the novelty appeal.

Hyperrhombus

Mar 31, 2011
Dubstep generally varies a lot, so the originality between songs which isnt as obvious in other genres I find great. Also, Bass. My favourite track?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPb1w7s7iUQ
Shivers down my spine.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
seriously? are you asking people to explain their likes and opinions on MUSIC? sorry, cant be done. everything said basically comes down to "I like this music because when it enters my brain through my aural cavities, it produces positive feelings." if you like it you do, if you dont you wont. anyone going into intimate detail will only confuse you further.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Actually, I don't particularly like it, but, someone made a League of Legends one that I liked. lol

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
A lot of it sounds exactly the same. The same halftime drum beat, the same sythy "wop wop wop" sounds and the same bass drops

DiscreteInsanity

Aug 19, 2010
I find it to be an epic battle between you and the speakers, much in the likes of super smash brothers where you are fine listening by yourself but once your inexperienced friends join in you have no idea what the hell is going on.

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
Listened to most of the links in this post, honestly they sound like a pair of Transformers screwing. :)

I like EDM, but I like my electronica more melodic. I'm a Trance gal through and through.

Scruffness

Jul 14, 2011
It's techno for the everyman. The electronic stylings make it listenable to techno fans, and most everybody likes bass. so... people friendly techno.

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
Julianking93 said:
I don't either, to be honest.
I enjoy electronic music and techno like, say The Prodigy [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVefPPr69NU] but that's about as far as my liking goes other than the soothing stuff I like akin to Aphex Twin [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nevnq7MvVTI] but I don't get Dubstep at all.
Some of the really early, early dubstep from the 90s in the London underground scene was decent enough since it had roots in melody and industrial music but the new shit that teenagers like (I for some reason say as if I'm not a teenager), I just don't get.
What the fuck is so good about this? [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F21aifX0lZY] I mean, I get that it's another new form of music but... this doesn't make any sense to me why someone would willingly listen to that unless it was used for torture <.<
It's just a bunch of obnoxious noises with zero melody or even much thought put into it. Just sounds like someone threw a bunch of really loud factory noises through a synthesizer.
Sorry if anyone else likes it but... that shit sucks to my ears. >.>
I love Aphex Twin, (Hence the name) some of their stuff is incredible.

OT: I love dubstep, mainly the underground stuff though, stuff that noone really knows about. It annoys me how people just think of Skrillex or Rusko when Dubstep comes to mind, it's not as good as some other stuff, for instance this.

Real Dubstep.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Aphex Demon said:

OT: I love dubstep, mainly the underground stuff though, stuff that noone really knows about. It annoys me how people just think of Skrillex or Rusko when Dubstep comes to mind, it's not as good as some other stuff, for instance this.

Real Dubstep.
Heh. I've seen your name around before and wondered if that was a reference to the band. Fine tastes, good sir :3

However, I'm going to have to disagree on that dubstep choice >.>
It was actually pretty good at the beginning but... I don't know. When it got around to about a minute in, those constant drop bass noises just get on my nerves. They literally.... make me feel uneasy. Some music chills me out, others get me excited and even metal gets me pumped up for stuff but dubstep makes me nervous to listen to >.>

Guess I'll just never like the stuff :p

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
Julianking93 said:
Aphex Demon said:

Real Dubstep.
Heh. I've seen your name around before and wondered if that was a reference to the band. Fine tastes, good sir :3

However, I'm going to have to disagree on that dubstep choice >.>
It was actually pretty good at the beginning but... I don't know. When it got around to about a minute in, those constant drop bass noises just get on my nerves. They literally.... make me feel uneasy. Some music chills me out, others get me excited and even metal gets me pumped up for stuff but dubstep makes me nervous to listen to >.>

Guess I'll just never like the stuff :p
Heh, and you good sir! *Royal epic voice*

Yeah fair enough, I can see why people don't like the epically heavy stuff. I love it. It's people who are opposite of you who go "This is just shit it's too heavy blah blah blah"

When people like you say they dislike it but don't call it shit, that's what I respect. :D

How about this?

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
I've only listened to one dubstep song which I didn't mind until the bass kicked in...I like bass, but a prefer it as a beat than something that sounds like bad diarrhea (See first link posted).

standokan

May 28, 2009
All you gotta know is that it can sound awesome like this.
I isn't always though, sometimes it's just horrible to listen too.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Aphex Demon said:
Hm... nah, not really for me.
I think it's what makes dubstep... well dubstep is what I don't like. The heavy bass, the drops, the industrial influenced techno. Not my type of music :3