Can someone please explain to me the appeal of...

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
rob_simple said:
Why do people enjoy Jersey/Geordie Shore? Why do people like FIFA games? Why do people listen to Taylor Swift? Why do people go to see movies starring Shia LaBeouf? Why do people eat couscous?

These are all things I dislike, so why are other people allowed to enjoy them?

That, in a nutshell, is the basis of your argument, OP.
But couscous hardly tastes of anything in and of itself? is it the texture (like with people who don't like mushrooms)?

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
BathorysGraveland2 said:
That's a grumpy cat? Everytime I've seen it, it reminds me of black metal.

Slight off topic, memes I believe can be funny, but people have forgotten all about context.
They just slap anything they think everyone else see's as funny and hopes for the best.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Boris Goodenough said:
rob_simple said:
Why do people enjoy Jersey/Geordie Shore? Why do people like FIFA games? Why do people listen to Taylor Swift? Why do people go to see movies starring Shia LaBeouf? Why do people eat couscous?

These are all things I dislike, so why are other people allowed to enjoy them?

That, in a nutshell, is the basis of your argument, OP.
But couscous hardly tastes of anything in and of itself? is it the texture (like with people who don't like mushrooms)?
I can only speak personally, but to me it's always looked like something you'd use to grout a wetroom with.

It looks like it would be more at home being sold in massive bags at a hardware store than sitting on my plate next to the real, people food.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
rob_simple said:
I can only speak personally, but to me it's always looked like something you'd use to grout a wetroom with.

It looks like it would be more at home being sold in massive bags at a hardware store than sitting on my plate next to the real, people food.[/quote]
So it's the looks? That's really odd and I think the first time I have heard in regards to normal food.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Boris Goodenough said:
rob_simple said:

It looks like it would be more at home being sold in massive bags at a hardware store than sitting on my plate next to the real, people food.
So it's the looks? That's really odd and I think the first time I have heard in regards to normal food.
Oh I don't claim that it's a logical decision, but if I can't mentally distinguish between couscous and tiny stones, then it would be pretty hard to enjoy.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I honestly wasn't aware this was a thing, but if my time on The Escapist and the general answers to questions I ask (some of which were similar to this) it's that looking for logic where it doesn't necessarily exist is pointless, especially on the internet, this thing exists, if you don't like it, ignore it, and don't tell me you can't because I've managed to not know about it until now

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Because cats.

That's really all there is to it.

Cats sell, cuz cuteness.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Well, uh...

It's a fad like every other meme the internet produces and will fade into obscurity after being whored out every way possible just to make a quick buck. *Prime examples of this trend being Gangnam Style and Harlem Shake*

Also, op, I'm sure you'll get a kick out of this.

"BECAUSE WHY THE FUCK NOT" amirite?

That, and it's a cat.

People fucking love cats, man.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
People like to copy other peoples work. Look at the Harlem Shake. As soon as it became popular, other people started doing it. People would rather put their own spin on it, rather than think of their own idea. All people are sheep in some form or another. Some choose to be more open about it.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I have NO idea why this blew up the way it did.

This cat is so fucking old in terms of Internet memes. And then out of nowhere it blows up like this. A weather app? A book?

Shirts? Fucking shirts? They aren't even good designs! One of them is literally a copy-paste of one of the macros. Who would even spend nearly $30 for that? Fuckin' hell.

A movie deal?

I'm done. That's it. It's time to blow up the Internet. It shouldn't be mixing with the real world like this. DEFCON 1 everyone. Start the nuking.
Phrozenflame500 said:
Seriously, memes aren't funny at all.
Some are. They're most often contextual. These things aren't funny in and of themselves (usually). Kinda like regular jokes.

With the popularity of Reddit, Tumblr and especially 9gag, the definition of meme has been warped to mean "image macros and Advice Dog [#Partial_list_of_Forced_Memes]/Frustration [https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Frustration] spinoffs," except nobody even remembers Advice Dog. Pretty much every meme that gets this much recognition is a forced meme. Here's a list of forced memes [https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Forced_Meme#Partial_list_of_Forced_Memes]. You'll surely recognize a few.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Can someone please explain to me the appeal of "Can someone please explain to me the appeal of.." threads? I thought we all knew by now how they went. A smattering of on-topic responses outweighed by people playing the 'different strokes for different folks' and 'stop liking what I don't like' cards.

Yes I am self-aware, thank you.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Dangit2019 said:
None of these examples explain why someone would pay $20 for a t shirt of a cat with a funny face on it.
Because funny.

What? You don't find it funny? Well, drat. I thought The Hangover was the most abysmal turd to ever cross my screen, even though it was the "funniest movie evar", so clearly not everyone laughs at the same things.
You mean not everyone is a mindless drone and it's possible for people to find things appealing in ways we don't? YOU SPEAK MADNESS.

But seriously, it's likely because:
- It's a cat. People like cats, especially on the internet.
- It has a facial expression people find funny.
- People spread it around because it amused them until it achieved meme status
- People like memes and feel like they're in on jokes with other people who know the memes.

And apparently it's sparked some sort of curiosity in you to go and wonder aloud "why do people like a thing?" so apparently it is possible for it to start up conversations. And perhaps you'll learn from your experience that some people don't spend time over-analyzing grumpy cat and are instead amused that it's a cat that looks fucking grumpy.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
The_Echo said:
Not sure why the movie comes as a surprise or justifies any sort of hate against the internet. The internet's been forcing memes since 4chan users figured out how to throw together images in MS Paint and now entire sites are around it. Grumpy Cat is a highly successful forced meme, so it shouldn't be a surprise that an industry as whore-ish as the film industry would pick up on it. You can't blame the internet for the film industry. Those fools made Movie 43, and no human being wanted that.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Well of course you won't see the appeal of Grumpy Cat until you see him in his work uniform.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Oh look I've been turned into the grumpy cat again -_-'

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Whoooo a grumpy cat thread.

Thank Kross! :D

OT: Because people love cats? And this one looks grumpy a lot.

VodkaKnight

Jul 12, 2013
I honestly don't see the point in memes.
They start as a small joke in a community, right? The arrow to the knee joke started as a joke in the Skyrim community.
Then it spread, until maybe a sixth of the people who knew it could explain to you who said it, then it got milked beyond annoyance.
Memes are funny at first, but the humour drains over a period of time.
Grumpy cat is just the same thing over again.