Can Someone Recommend Me a Good, Lesser Known Action Game?

1mike1000

Jun 18, 2011
One of my favorite games of all time is Uncharted. Although I can recognize the numerous flaws in it, I just love it because of the grand scope of the adventure you go on. I'm really looking for a game to capture that feeling. I have played a pretty big amount of adventure games, so a lesser known one is really what I'm looking for. If you could recommend a good one to me that would be great!

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
More of a shooter than an action game, but Spec Ops the Line kinda reminds me of Uncharted,destroyed Dubia kind of remines a ancient ruined cities in Uncharted,and the whole trip feels like one of those Uncharted journey minus the platforming, the combat feels the same though.
I like to think of it as
Uncharted 4:Drake realizes what a mass murdering **** he is.
Don't read the last part OP.

Ultra Man30

Nov 20, 2009
What systems do you own? From what you posted, I know you own a PS3 so I guess I would recommend either Infamous, Grand Theft Auto 4, or Shadow of the Colossus. Even though those are about as far from "lesser known" as you can get, one of them may be the type of game you're looking for. If you say what other systems you own, then I may know some games that could fit what you're looking for.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well you do need to give us a bit more context, you are looking for brawlers, platformers, FPS, TPS, puzzles, story, combat heavy?

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012

I suggest you to play this game, Legend of Fae.

It is a mix of RPG and puzzle game like the well known game Puzzle Quest.
The different is of course you are always use the puzzle game for any action you must make, even if you want to walk!

Very interesting title and I recommend to play.

EDIT:
Oh! A game like Uncharted? Then I don't know. I should check for an answer. Later.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I don't know how well known it is, but Vanquish is a pretty great action game with some really cool gimmicks.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
It's not like Uncharted, but GOD HAND is one of the best action games ever. So is Viewtiful Joe by the same studio, but that's a side-scrolling action game so idk if it's what you're looking for.

Obvious Bayonetta and inFamous, as well as seconding Spec-Ops (though that game is not one you'd play for lighthearted fun and adventure like Uncharted is.) The new Tomb Raider is another obvious recommendation. Sleeping Dogs is also good if you haven't played that.

Admittedly God Hand is the only somewhat lesser-known game on here, but action games are not my usual genre.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Binary Domain, a sci fi game taking place in Neo Tokyo. Great story and atmosphere, squad AI lacking at times but nothing major.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Some people recommending spec ops. Might not be what you're looking for, but fuck, if you want to see a game that would have revolutionized videogame narratives if it sold well, don't not play that game. The worst thing you could not do is not ignore playing this game.

if you liked uncharted you would probably like enslaved: odyssey to the west. Cool atmosphere and characters, nice gameplay, some neat set pieces. It's not like amazing cult classic-y status but its a very good game.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I could definately recommend a lesser known action game to you but since BioShock Infinite just came out I won't.

I'll recommend BioShock Infinite instead.

It's £23.96 on Green Man Gaming.

k3v1n

Sep 7, 2008
I know it has already been said but... you have to try out Spec ops: The Line. It's narrative is just mind-boggling. though if you prefer a "Beat'em up" kind of game, I would reccommend Splatterhouse...it's quite fun.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom if you wan't something very different. Its a hack n slash/enviromental Puzzle/Giant Ogre partner game.

Not many people played it but I really enjoyed it, its a charming wee game.

Nothing like Uncharted at all, but I agree those games are great.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
well theres inversion.. but i heard its not good.

how about that crazy Japanese gears of war game but with mech's?
or that game where its inspired by the journey to the west and you have a sassy red head for a partner?

sorry brain does not work at 2.00 o clock in the morning.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Seconding vanquish.

It's really ridiculous, but so much fun to play. The combat is fluid and provides just enough challenge.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
All of the above are great action titles add in Space Marine, anything by Platinum Games.

However the OP seems to want adventure games like Tomb Raider.

Well these would be my suggestions

Enslaved
El Shaddia
Nier
Dark Souls (although this is very oldschool in its difficulty)
Legacy of Kain series, especially the original Soul Reaver, (SR is written by the same talent behind Uncharted, the GFX might be dated but the narration and voice acting still blows most games out of the water.)
Journey.
Maybe Zelda or Dark Stalkers.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
Beyond Good and Evil is one of those great-under-the-radar games. It's an action title with a Zelda feel to it. It's $14.99 to download on PSN if you're interested.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I recently played through some of the Tomb Raider games again, and despite occasional buggy platforming and animation weirdness, Underworld was a pretty cool adventure... but if you haven't absolutely play Legend or Anniversary instead.

I also recently enjoyed playing through Wanted: Weapons of Fate, it was dumb fun for super cheap if you want a quick fix.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Enslaved and Tomb Raider are the only games I know of that are in the same actual genre ('inspired') by Uncharted. I couldn't tell you how good they are though