Can we give the new Call of Duty a chance?

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
By now, hating a new Call of Duty game before it even releases is becoming an internet tradition. The rationale behind it is, it's not about the game, it's about what it represents: another annual shooter, bland in every way yet still a system seller.

But this one actually looks different.

This is, after all, from Treyarch, aka the company that's actually trying to change things every once in a while. Black Ops 2 might not have been that good, but it was trying as hard as it could to come up with something new, and this one looks to be trying even harder. After the brown note of COD Ghosts, people were rightfully disappointed, but I hope people realize that Infinity Ward was to blame, and that this doesn't stop them from giving CODAW a fair trial.

I could be wrong, of course. It might just be the same as every other COD game. But with this one, I just think we should give it a chance. This series might actually be growing in an interesting way, and I'd hate to see it smothered for the wrong reasons and revert to old habits (like Saw 6.)

Duster

Jul 15, 2014
I was thinking about it because it did look like they where trying something else. I am gonna wait for a streak though.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I thought this was the first one by the new third development studio.

Either way. It looks like it could be pretty neat, but I have very little interest in multi-player and even less so in competitive multi-player, so all of my thoughts about maybe checking it out for the campaign went out the window when I discovered that it takes up ~50 GB of hard drive space on the PC. Don't care enough to spend more time downloading the thing than I would playing it.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
They all look different. In the most superficial way you can imagine. But they feel completely the same. I won't get fooled again.

Scootinfroodie

Dec 23, 2013
50 GB for CoD with more shit that aims for you and pseudo UT movement? Naw I'm good.
Got nothing against people who want the game, but I'm just not interested in low TTK, boring movement, and meat grinder MP anymore

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
I'll give it a shot when it's cheaper, around £20 or so. From what I've seen, AW seems to be pretty much Titanfall, with less mechs, more story and a better unlock system in MP.

Plus lasers.
Lots of lasers.

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
I preferred the Battlefield series to deliver my modern military twitch shooter fix, but with the disastrous 11+ launch nonsense of BF4 I will take a break from the series. DICE will really need to blow me away before I consider going back to Battlefield and that is definitely not happening with Hardline.

I am excited to see what Sledgehammer will bring to the Call of Duty franchise. The last CoD game I owned was Black Ops so I guess now is the best time to jump back in, especially since I found TitanFall extremely forgettable.

Morgoth780

Aug 6, 2014
I can't stand the shooting and movement mechanics in CoD.

That said, apparently it's one of the best CoD PC ports in a while according to TB.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Unlikely.

I just don't enjoy the kind of game.

So, very little chance of be buying the game, especially at the prices they're asking.

I might try it if given a chance at a friend's place or something.

VidyaDawg

Sep 22, 2014
So here is the thing. I have bought every CoD on release and have played them all at least through 3rd prestige at minimum on each. For me, it goes: 4 > Blops = WaW > MW2 = Blops2 > MW3 > Ghosts. I got the Day Zero Edition for Advanced Warfare last night and let me tell you, I'm having the most fun I've had in a CoD since Blops. I was actually getting nervous that CoD wasn't just getting stagnant anymore, but legitimately bad. This has reversed that opinion though. It feels extremely fast paced and way more like a classic arena/arcade shooter, which is more my style.

I've already gotten flamed for this, but here it's goes. It reminds me a lot of UT 2004.

vledleR

Nov 3, 2014
I've never liked the multi-player, aside from COD4. The fact that it's now largely catering to a console audience is lame. Battlefield is made with the PC gamer in mind

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Matthew Jabour said:
By now, hating a new Call of Duty game before it even releases is becoming an internet tradition. The rationale behind it is, it's not about the game, it's about what it represents: another annual shooter, bland in every way yet still a system seller.

But this one actually looks different.

This is, after all, from Treyarch, aka the company that's actually trying to change things every once in a while. Black Ops 2 might not have been that good, but it was trying as hard as it could to come up with something new, and this one looks to be trying even harder. After the brown note of COD Ghosts, people were rightfully disappointed, but I hope people realize that Infinity Ward was to blame, and that this doesn't stop them from giving CODAW a fair trial.

I could be wrong, of course. It might just be the same as every other COD game. But with this one, I just think we should give it a chance. This series might actually be growing in an interesting way, and I'd hate to see it smothered for the wrong reasons and revert to old habits (like Saw 6.)
After the fuck up that was DA2, I look at every game based on it's own merits.

What do I know about this (or any game), does it sound good to me, let me watch a gameplay and see what I think etc then I make a choice.

After I got hyped for DA2 and then played the demo and was like "what the fuck is this", I realized that you can't just assume something will be good or bad based on what has come before it.

Some people don't like DA:O but I loved it, other people hate COD but I take each one as it comes. This one with it's obvious "lending" of ideas (insultingly enough from the previous and original devs of COD) from titanfall, weird upgrade kill streaks plus other shit.

I will see what the general consensus is, watch some gameplay then decide.

I was caught up in the COD frenzy but the quick scoping, the community as a whole and the best players being rewarded by being given the most powerful toys, while the worst players are fodder ... that even when given a small advantage are still complained about.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I wanted to but when shit like this comes up its hard to deny that there could be a lot more thinking into it and that it isnt as good as it once was (COD 4: MW for example).

I did like what they did with the singleplayer of BLOPS 2 with those timelines, I think that it was a very good example of choice done right even if the gameplay itself and how its progressed was same old same old.

vledleR said:
I've never liked the multi-player, aside from COD4. The fact that it's now largely catering to a console audience is lame. Battlefield is made with the PC gamer in mind
I did like Bad Company 2 a lot but that ship sailed a long time ago (the last PC centric Battlefield was Battlefield 2142).

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Advanced Warfare is a weird one for me. Black Ops II was quite good, and it looked like it would be quite good before it was released. Ghosts looked like it would be awful, and it was.

Advanced Warfare looks like a mixed bag. The campaign looks boring and like they aren't even trying. The multiplayer looks actually good. I feel bad because I've always stood for Call of Duty being good (well, besides Infinity Ward from MW2 onward).

And World at War is better than CoD 4, what? What?

And AW is being made by Sledgehammer Games on the Xbox One/PS4/PC, who had their game cancelled so they could work on Modern Warfare 3 (ugh).

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I don't hate CoD, I've enjoyed it quite a bit in the past, I'm just a bit tired of the whole formula. Advanced Warfare may be fun in its own right, but I'm just not looking for that type of gameplay right now.

Its not just CoD either, I am just tired of the 'mainstream' shooter song and dance. Gain XP! Level UP! Customize! Moar Rewards! Playstyle! Playstyle! Playtyle! Then Erase your progress and do it all over again! I am curious what the tolerance for chaos is among the general audience. It feels like many shooter devs are just piling on 'cool' and 'fun' stuff until mutliplayer matches devolve into directionless mess with no sense of whether success has anything to do with what the player actually did.

I'm excited for the Master Chief Collection(aside from Halo 4 multi) not simply because I love Halo, but because I will also be able to play another multiplayer shooter where I can just play without parts of the game being sectioned off until I earned an arbitrary amount of points.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
The collective "we" could give the new CoD a chance. The individual "me" is not willing to give it a chance. The series lost me after Black Ops.