Can we have a Mod roll call or something?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Squilookle said:
Saelune said:
I really have little power in that regard. I think the users have endured more than enough to deserve some influence in our collective fates.
That's... not at all how a forum works. And never has been.
Cause ya know, if its never been done before, it should never be done ever, right?

This site is weird, that it survives still at all is not a usual thing either.

Its not wrong to want the site to be better.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Saelune said:
tippy2k2 said:
https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct

It's at the bottom of the Code of Conduct
Thanks.
That's always been there, and you've been here for longer than me, so I know you knew it was there. I dunno where this Shadow Council idea came from despite that. I know it's frustrating being hit for being opinionated, but it's not like it came from some invisible phantom on high.

I really do just want this site to be better, to keep surviving, but I really have little power in that regard. I think the users have endured more than enough to deserve some influence in our collective fates.
Let me guess. Someone like... you, perhaps? You seem to have gone through the worst trials and tribulations The Escapist has ever known all on your own. So who could be more fitting for their voice to be heard and hold influence, right?

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but... Let's be real. Your wording, your actions thus far, and your dis-taste for the mods and their actions that apparently are always against your favour... I don't think I'm off the mark in the slightest.

It's not wrong to want the site to be better. But snapping at those that help keep it all together and repeatedly back-handing them and other people here isn't making your case and argument any better, nor will it make them want to believe in your side of what's right. What you consider wrong, bigoted, abhorrent and irredeemable could very well just be by your definition, and not someone else's as well. So of course, when your way isn't given to you, it'll look like the people, the site, the mods, etc, are all corrupted by the wrong side. That the bad people get to survive here and the good gets stamped down. That the "nail that stands out gets hammered down."

But maybe that nail, and what it does in its current stance, is mis-placed. Maybe it needs to be put into a position where it can see every other nail's stance from the same perspective they are in, before it can truly stand out in the right way

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Saelune said:
Squilookle said:
Saelune said:
I really have little power in that regard. I think the users have endured more than enough to deserve some influence in our collective fates.
Cause ya know, if its never been done before, it should never be done ever, right?

I didn't say it's never been tried. I said it's not how a forum works. Emphasis on the word works.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
For reference, we do not disclose who put the hammer down as a general policy. As for my forum activity, I'm off and on but honestly a bit tied up with meatspace issues for the most part. Hard to be as forum-active post university with loans and bills up the yahoo. :y

The guys behind the scenes are pretty hard at work but Kyle would be the most approachable of the gold names to talk to for general hellos and state of the community questions.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Nah, that ain't it chief.

The reason I haven't been active is because I'm in graduate school in another country where I'm constantly making sure that I don't get myself kicked out. Plus I have other things going on that isn't online related, nor anyone's business, but that doesn't mean I stepped down or anything. I just watch y'all from a distance.

I'm always watching.

As Red and Jojo have mentioned, Kyle should be your go-to contact for forum matters, and if you have questions about anything he will respond better than we can.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
tippy2k2 said:
Yes you are a Mod (don't tell anyone).

Unfortunately your powers only work in the "Game Industry Discussion" and the "Religion and Politics" forums.
I've banned everyone from those forums. Tee hee!

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Gordon_4 said:
So thats the Mods, now who are the Rockers?
Shame the v2 forums aren't a thing yet. You could call that a Mod revival and then ask who the Punks are.

Just so someone can post Fuck a Mod by The Exploited as a lame joke.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Kyle Gaddo said:
There's no "shadow council," unless you want to consider that I get final say on any matters that occur here. I also want everyone to know that my duties extend beyond managing the forum, so I apologize for anything that I miss that needs my attention.
- "We're living in a dictatorship. A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the commenting classes..."
- "Dennis, there's some lovely clickbait down here!"
[footnote]Apologies to Monty Python and the Holy Grail[/footnote]

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Gordon_4 said:
tippy2k2 said:

So thats the Mods, now who are the Rockers?
I am!

Not to toot my own horn but...I can play most songs on Rock Band on Hard mode.

So...yeah, a big fuckin deal over here. I'll try to remember you guys when I've made it big but I'll probably not because I'll be too busy being a huge rock star.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Elvis Starburst said:
Saelune said:
tippy2k2 said:

Thanks.
That's always been there, and you've been here for longer than me, so I know you knew it was there. I dunno where this Shadow Council idea came from despite that. I know it's frustrating being hit for being opinionated, but it's not like it came from some invisible phantom on high.

I really do just want this site to be better, to keep surviving, but I really have little power in that regard. I think the users have endured more than enough to deserve some influence in our collective fates.
Let me guess. Someone like... you, perhaps? You seem to have gone through the worst trials and tribulations The Escapist has ever known all on your own. So who could be more fitting for their voice to be heard and hold influence, right?

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but... Let's be real. Your wording, your actions thus far, and your dis-taste for the mods and their actions that apparently are always against your favour... I don't think I'm off the mark in the slightest.

It's not wrong to want the site to be better. But snapping at those that help keep it all together and repeatedly back-handing them and other people here isn't making your case and argument any better, nor will it make them want to believe in your side of what's right. What you consider wrong, bigoted, abhorrent and irredeemable could very well just be by your definition, and not someone else's as well. So of course, when your way isn't given to you, it'll look like the people, the site, the mods, etc, are all corrupted by the wrong side. That the bad people get to survive here and the good gets stamped down. That the "nail that stands out gets hammered down."

But maybe that nail, and what it does in its current stance, is mis-placed. Maybe it needs to be put into a position where it can see every other nail's stance from the same perspective they are in, before it can truly stand out in the right way
So much of this site just flat out does not work. And I honestly either did not know, or forgot about that list.

I am a staunch supporter of democracy. I realize this is not a national government, but that doesn't mean we cant add some democratic methods to decision making around here.

I don't think ALL the mods are out to get me. If that were the case, I agree that I would have been banned long ago. Hell, I don't even doubt that mods have given me warnings even when they agreed with me. But I really do think there is a inconsistency with moderation on here, and I do not think that the TOS is truly followed as it is claimed to be.

I don't want to be banned. I wont pretend I am not venting a bit, but I do think mods and this site in general could be better. In fact, I would not have even made this topic like I have if I thought I would be screaming into the wind. Part of me hopes that MAYBE something good can come of it. Don't think I don't realize that this topic is still open and I am still not banned, nor have I even received a warning for making it. If I thought this was going to be my final word, Id be a lot different.

I am tired of people who don't want to see both sides telling ME to see both sides. Compromise requires two sides coming to an agreement, not a concession of one side to another.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Squilookle said:
Saelune said:
Squilookle said:
Saelune said:

I didn't say it's never been tried. I said it's not how a forum works. Emphasis on the word works.
I think you have a poor definition of the word 'works' if you think a site that is split in half and in shambles is what you consider one that 'works'.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Kyle Gaddo said:
Saelune said:
Like, whats going on with Russ? Whats Kyle been up to? Are they still working on fixing things? I have no idea. We need wellness updates or something. I wouldn't still be here if I didn't want this site to keep surviving.
Russ Pitts is no longer part of Enthusiast Gaming or Escapist Magazine.

I'm personally just physically getting back from E3, but my muscles are not. Brain is somewhere in between.

We are always working on fixing the thing. V2 forums are for the future, we do not have an ETD on those.

There's no "shadow council," unless you want to consider that I get final say on any matters that occur here. I also want everyone to know that my duties extend beyond managing the forum, so I apologize for anything that I miss that needs my attention.

That said, I'm always reachable by email (kyle[dot]gaddo[at]escapistmagazine[dot]com). Please don't hesitate to reach out, even if it's just to chat to me directly. I check my email literally every couple of hours. Use that to ask me questions, send me links to something that you believe needs my direct attention, or just to say hello.
I think an on-site method would be better. Might I suggest maybe a monthly check in or something? Something to update us on the forums of whats going on, how progress is going on whatever, and that you're still here. Too many people have ghosted us.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Saelune said:
Squilookle said:
Saelune said:
Squilookle said:
Saelune said:

I think you have a poor definition of the word 'works' if you think a site that is split in half and in shambles is what you consider one that 'works'.
Once again, I didn't say this forum. I said a forum. As in -any- forum.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Saelune said:
I think an on-site method would be better. Might I suggest maybe a monthly check in or something? Something to update us on the forums of whats going on, how progress is going on whatever, and that you're still here. Too many people have ghosted us.
That's at least something I can get behind. We've had so many different groups of people go entirely silent on us, so a little bit of an update at least every now and then that's front and center to keep us posted wouldn't be half bad

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Kyle Gaddo said:
Saelune said:
Sure, I can do that. I'll give you updates on the first of the month in the Announcements about what's up and you'll get other announcements about major events and such.
Well, that will be appreciated, thank you.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Saelune said:
It used to feel like mods were part of the community. The mods got involved with discussions often, and I liked that. Used to also be announcements and stuff when mods came and went, but not anymore. Plus who knows what mods are active/inactive but not formally removed from the system.
Mods stepping back or slowing down posting has always been a feature here, for as long as I've been here. It's just a reaction to both real-life precedence and the fact that time on the site switches from forum browsing and posting to being split between that and checking mod queues, making mod decisions, and talking stuff over to try and make the best decision. It's draining, and even mods with the best of intentions towards community involvement get tired.

Do get where you're coming from though - in both my stints I always tried to stay visible and involved on the forums but the stuff above combined with the fact that I never did have a prolific post history always resulted in even slower posting and I do regret that.

Kyle Gaddo said:
Sure, I can do that. I'll give you updates on the first of the month in the Announcements about what's up and you'll get other announcements about major events and such.
Awesome move chief :D