Can we just talk about what we think of Overwatch as a game? Please?

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Jmp_man said:
Did you buy Diablo 3 on launch day? Just putting that out there.
Actually yes I did, but here is the thing.. Take away the server problems, take away the Diablo name and what you are left with is a rather good hack'n slash game. At it's core it is a solid game I think, as all the animations, moves and skills got the feeling right. It's a mechanically good game.
Also, because of the previous games many had very high expectations of what it should be.
We are now given something new, so those expectations should not be there, unless you are set on it being TF for some odd reason.

Even if they are coppying TF2, it's like a talented artist covering someone elses song with their own twist. It may be the same words but it can be so incredibly different.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
I greatly look forward to playing as Bastion, since mobile, self-sufficient defensive classes have always been my cup of tea (a role I like to call the go-away defense--pester enemies into backing off until someone bigger can come by and set up). Plus it's just a sympathetic little bunch of boxes that looks like something Aperture Science would have made in Front Mission, which I can always appreciate.

I await more gameplay information before deciding if I'm going to spend more than a token amount of time on this one.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
If it's a fun shooter and it doesn't take a super fucking retarded F2P model (Hearthstone gives me some hope) I'll try it out.

It does looks fun. I honestly think the next step in multiplayer arena FPS is taking some mechanics from MOBAs. Not a huge amount, but enough to give rounds a bit more structure and a sense of flow.

Also, Overstrike in general makes me really want Valve to make a TF3. Or at least release a massive shakeup to TF2.

sataricon

Oct 7, 2014
The Goat Tsar said:
sataricon said:
TheKasp said:
sataricon said:
What's there to talk about?
It's a TF2 clone.

You like TF2 and you are under 9 years of age go play Overwatch.
It is a TF2 clone? Aha. Do you know what a clone is? [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGmqIkhjEPE]

And why the age-restriction of nine?

Would you care to elaborate on that.
Did i offend you with the 9 year old thing.....sorry didn't want to offend you.
let's make it 10 years old.....better?
Whoa dude, be careful that you don't cut yourself on all that edge you got there.

Clearly you're too cool for this forum.
Am i too cool for this forum?.....i didn't notice that.

And what is this Edge every one seems to be talking about?

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Perhaps Im just being cynical but it really just looks like another FPS deathmatch game (granted Ive only seen their trailer). Theres already a ton of those out there and many are quite good. If Overwatch is just another deathmatch game then I dont see any point to it. We already have a ton of them with various class differences and abilities.

Right now I just dont see a point in it when what little was shown has already been done by dozens of other games. Come to think of it I said the same thing about Nosgoth

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Windcaler said:
Perhaps Im just being cynical but it really just looks like another FPS deathmatch game (granted Ive only seen their trailer). Theres already a ton of those out there and many are quite good. If Overwatch is just another deathmatch game then I dont see any point to it. We already have a ton of them with various class differences and abilities.

Right now I just dont see a point in it when what little was shown has already been done by dozens of other games. Come to think of it I said the same thing about Nosgoth
Developers said outright that there's not going to be deathmatch mode.

As for other games like that, the only ones I can think of are Team Fortress 2 and, to a lesser extent, Monday Night Combat and PvZ: Garden Warfare. Truly Class based FPS market is surprisingly stale.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
IllumInaTIma said:
Windcaler said:

As for other games like that, the only ones I can think of are Team Fortress 2 and, to a lesser extent, Monday Night Combat and PvZ: Garden Warfare. Truly Class based FPS market is surprisingly stale.
Theres a lot of deathmatch style games or games with deathmatch modes that are still class based. Anything battlefield, Gotham city imposters, Nosgoth, Blacklight retribution (although you more build your own class there), Call of duty (again build your own class), Tribes: Ascend and tribes 2, Gunz 2, and ghost recon are all example of deathmatch style games. I could probably name a lot more if I really thought out it.

Lets also be honest here, The developers said it wont just be a deathmatch game. The developers. How many other misrepresentations or even lies have we been told just to get us to buy a game? I can only go by the evidence Ive seen and from what Ive seen it looks like a deathmatch game.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
It looks interesting but as a console gamer I doubt I'll get to play it. Which is disappointing. And I usually despise games like this that ONLY have multiplayer.

Yuiiut

Jun 9, 2014
Windcaler said:
IllumInaTIma said:
Windcaler said:

Theres a lot of deathmatch style games or games with deathmatch modes that are still class based. Anything battlefield, Gotham city imposters, Nosgoth, Blacklight retribution (although you more build your own class there), Call of duty (again build your own class), Tribes: Ascend and tribes 2, Gunz 2, and ghost recon are all example of deathmatch style games. I could probably name a lot more if I really thought out it.

Lets also be honest here, The developers said it wont just be a deathmatch game. The developers. How many other misrepresentations or even lies have we been told just to get us to buy a game? I can only go by the evidence Ive seen and from what Ive seen it looks like a deathmatch game.
They specifically said that they did not make it a deathmatch game, or include that game type at all, because they felt it detracted from the teamwork in-game. IIRC, the two modes are base-capture and payload modes. I'd say when they specifically state their dislike for a game mode and provide a gameplay-based reason, it would be highly surprising if they decided to include it.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
It certainly does look intersting. I especially liked two "good" characters shown in the trailer ( Henry McCoy in gorilla buddy and hyper fast teleporter) and overall looks, but I will refrain from judgment untill I see gameplay and all the other characters/classes.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Jandau said:
That being said, I'm curious if Overwatch isn't actually Titan (the "cancelled" Blizzard project)? Or rather, a retooling of what Titan was shaping up to be. I mean, this is the first announcement, and the game seems like it's pretty far along in development. It has what appears to be a decent sized roster of characters and several maps already, and looks playable. This leads me to believe that Blizz didn't scrap Titan, but rather limited its scope to a more focused game instead of an MMO as was initially planned.
It is my understanding that Overwatch does indeed use a lot of Titan assets, or that it was set to potentially be a game mode inside Titan (IE the maps might have been for Titan BGs or something). If nothing else it gives you a fair idea of what Titan's aesthetic might have looked like, if not its game play.

From a Forbes article:

"Three people who saw the game have compared the aesthetics to Team Fortress 2, with one source describing it as a cross between StarCraft II's in-game cinematics and Pixar's The Incredibles. Your perspective would switch between first- and third-person based on whether you were heading into combat or hanging out in a city, according to two sources-not unlike Bungie?s Destiny. Players would be able to select from classes with names like Reaper, Jumper, Titan, Ranger, and Juggernaut, each of which had its own special combat abilities and items, according to a source."

This almost 100% lines up to what we're seeing with Overwatch, down to the near-future setting, the Pixar animation influences and even at least one of the names (Reaper). Overwatch is Titan, or at least it was.
Love the Rikimaru Ramen hut on one of the maps. Nice little shout out. Perhaps a hint that the game has as much MOBA in its DNA as team shooter.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
No, we can't just talk about it as a game. Because, you know, funny enough it doesn't exist in a social vacuum. Funny enough, nothing in this world exists in a social vacuum. And when you ask for people to pretend things exist in a social vacuum, you're being problematic.

Stop that. If someone has a problem with something you SHOULD listen, but at least do them the courtesy of not saying "Shut up I don't wan't anyone to talk about that stuff waa waa waa!!"

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
dragonswarrior said:
No, we can't just talk about it as a game. Because, you know, funny enough it doesn't exist in a social vacuum. Funny enough, nothing in this world exists in a social vacuum. And when you ask for people to pretend things exist in a social vacuum, you're being problematic.

Stop that. If someone has a problem with something you SHOULD listen, but at least do them the courtesy of not saying "Shut up I don't wan't anyone to talk about that stuff waa waa waa!!"
This is a gaming forum. Sorry if people want to talk about games and not social issues.

dragonswarrior

Feb 13, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
dragonswarrior said:

This is a gaming forum. Sorry if people want to talk about games and not social issues.
This is a world, a culture, a society, a community. Sorry if your games have social issues and people need to talk about them.

Oh wait, no I'm not.

dragonswarrior

Feb 13, 2012
slo said:
dragonswarrior said:
Kopikatsu said:
This is a world, a culture, a society, a community. Sorry if your games have social issues and people need to talk about them.

Oh wait, no I'm not.
You'll probably find more conversation on the Social Issues forum and not on this one. Because you know, the world has places for everything and you don't absolutely have to do your thing here. Now please get out.
And yet, funny enough whenever someone tries to box up the world they keep getting disappointed when the world won't fit in the box...

This thread was started with the title "Can we please just talk about Overwatch the game?" and while I think yes, we are all just talking about Overwatch the game it just so happens that problematic female character design is a part of that game, I believe that the person who started this thread's intent was to avoid that discussion.

And my answer to that is no, we cannot just ignore that part of the game. That is a part of the game. You cannot separate it. If you want to have a conversation about the game, and someone wants to talk about their problems with the character design, that is part of the game. Just because you don't want to hear it doesn't make it not true.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
dragonswarrior said:
Kopikatsu said:
dragonswarrior said:

Oh wait, no I'm not.
Make your own thread and talk about those issues. He's not telling you to shut up, it's just not what this thread is focused on. No one is stopping you, or even telling you not to. Seriously, go and do it. You obviously feel quite strongly about this so I'm curious to see what you have to say. Just don't do it here since that would be off topic and you'd be derailing the thread. I don't mean that the OP doesn't ever want to talk about those issues, it just means they want to focus on a specific aspect of the game.

OT: This is probably the first multiplayer shooter in YEARS that has actually managed to interest me. I'm really liking the wide variety of characters. Also, apparently cartoony graphics and lack of gore means that you're game is only for 9-10 year olds. Who knew?

dragonswarrior

Feb 13, 2012
RedDeadFred said:
Make your own thread and talk about those issues. He's not telling you to shut up, it's just not what this thread is focused on. No one is stopping you, or even telling you not to. Seriously, go and do it. You obviously feel quite strongly about this so I'm curious to see what you have to say. Just don't do it here since that would be off topic and you'd be derailing the thread. I don't mean that the OP doesn't ever want to talk about those issues, it just means they want to focus on a specific aspect of the game.
The problem is that these issues are a part of the game. You can't have a discussion about the game without having a discussion about these issues. An attempt to make a thread where those issues cannot be discussed but the rest of the game can be, whether intentional or not, is silencing. Now, while I do think discussing whether or not these issues should be discussed in this thread is a derailment, I honestly don't feel that my initial post was a derailment. I was responding directly to the OP's title. I also think that character design is a huge part of a game, and if someone has a problem with that character design, whatever the reason, that's a part of the gaming discussion. I really don't see a way to get around the OP trying to silence that part of the discussion.

And I took exception to that.

Rahkshi500

May 25, 2014
dragonswarrior said:
No, we don't HAVE to talk about a problem if we don't want to, and no, we're not under any obligation to listen to you either. Complain about the problem all you want, but you don't have the right to have others be obligated to hear you.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
kind of reminds me of when Hearthstone came out; suddenly everyone wants to play a card game. now, with Overwatch, suddenly everyone wants to play an FPS. And in the case of Hearthstone, it's a crap card game (speaking as someone that's played a lot of different card games over the years). Overwatch looks quite good, but I hope we can look at it without knowing who made it and decide without the company name looming over it. like the game for the games merits, not because Blizzard made it.