Can we use Fanfiction.com as a metric for what is the most popular franchise ever?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Were those franchises a part of the grand massive mashfic that one Escapist keeps posting? Because that's the metric I judge things by!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Canadamus Prime said:
Maybe not, but you're probably still going to have a dedicated collective of authors submitting a lot of the material. Also I still don't think it's a good metric regardless because, as has been pointed out, how many fans don't bother with fan fiction. I sure as hell don't.
In my experience that isn't the case. I haven't really observed any collectives. Granted, I write everything I write by myself (don't do collaborations or requests), but I find that fics written by two or more authors is the exception rather than the rule, and there aren't really any noticable networks of writers either.

Likewise, while I think some franchises lend themselves better to fan writing than others, I don't think there's inherently some fans that are more suited to writing than others. As in, say, being a Transformers fan would say nothing inherent about your predisposition towards fan writing than if you were...I dunno, a Psi-Ops fan. Course, Transformers is a pretty large section on the site (technically at least two sections) whereas Psi-Ops isn't, but that says more about the IPs than those invested in them.

Abomination said:
The only thing Fanfiction sites prove demographically is which franchise attracts the most desperate, attention starved, and socially stunted individuals.
Gee, thanks. :(

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Hawki said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Maybe not, but you're probably still going to have a dedicated collective of authors submitting a lot of the material. Also I still don't think it's a good metric regardless because, as has been pointed out, how many fans don't bother with fan fiction. I sure as hell don't.
In my experience that isn't the case. I haven't really observed any collectives. Granted, I write everything I write by myself (don't do collaborations or requests), but I find that fics written by two or more authors is the exception rather than the rule, and there aren't really any noticable networks of writers either.

Likewise, while I think some franchises lend themselves better to fan writing than others, I don't think there's inherently some fans that are more suited to writing than others. As in, say, being a Transformers fan would say nothing inherent about your predisposition towards fan writing than if you were...I dunno, a Psi-Ops fan. Course, Transformers is a pretty large section on the site (technically at least two sections) whereas Psi-Ops isn't, but that says more about the IPs than those invested in them.
I didn't say anything about multiple authors writing one fic. I meant multiple authors writing multiple fics. It could just be a small group of authors writing a large amount of fan fiction.

Regardless I think a better metric would be how much of a presence a franchise has at, say, a convention or something.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
I totally forgot that place existed, but it's part of my cringey past as a shipper. I have a piece of fluff on there that's been viewed 40,000 times... If I could pick one thing about myself to be viewed that many times, it sure as heck wouldn't be shipping fanfic I wrote as a teenager. DX

to escape my walk down memory lane and actually answer your question, though: probably. I mean, fanfic writers tend to be proportionate to the size of their respective fandoms, and that website is the largest collection of such people in one area. I imagine it's not precise, and probably can't be quantified, but i think if a study were performed, the fiction that generated the most fanfiction would likely also be the fiction with the largest communities.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
I would say "Yes.", but only as one of several metrics as far as popularity is concerned, as others have outlined above, there are several factors concerning genre, target audience and site archiving that would skew the numbers, still, one does not become a popular subject matter on Fanfiction.net WITHOUT being popular.

So yeah, it's a useful metric, but only to be taken as one of several.

noramiles458

Jan 25, 2018
Do you have a paypal account ? in the event if you do you can make an additional 300 a week in your revenue working from home for 3 hours every day... go to

........... ► http://www.Help80.Com

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
undeadsuitor said:
Who goes to fanfiction.net

Ao3 is where it's at
Are the fanfics there written competently? I used to read alot of Danny Phantom crossovers with the DC Universe, especially Teen Titans.
Same potluck as FF.net was in it's time, just less fetters on content. Take warnings seriously because there's minimal moderation on things written considering the correct labels are used. And yeah I've used it the past year after FF.net has kind of dried up for me, s'got some good on there, alot of terribad tween angst writings but that's par for the course, gonna have to wade through the mud for the gems as per the norm.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Help me out here: What is the deal with Supernatural? I've never seen a single episode of it but it's been going on forever and there seem to be a lot of people who are way into it. Is it really that good? It's not exactly something that comes up a lot when people talk about classic great television.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
I don't think fanfic is a good metric for popularity at all. I mean, I love plenty of geeky material but have never written or read a single word of actual fanfic. (Aside from Jim Sterlings Mass Effect 3 video).

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Help me out here: What is the deal with Supernatural? I've never seen a single episode of it but it's been going on forever and there seem to be a lot of people who are way into it. Is it really that good? It's not exactly something that comes up a lot when people talk about classic great television.
I watched the first season. It's...... average if I'm being generous. Two brothers solving mysteries, nothing really great about it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
PsychedelicDiamond said:
From what I have seen of it, every supernatural thing in the history of the entire Earth is real and exists, even Gods are characters in this world seen in the guise of ordinary people, Satan himself is a character in this show.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, bit of an update on the question, the site's buggered in that it no longer counts submission numbers. For instance, the Venom category is listed as having 8 fics, when in reality it has around 40.

If it isn't fixed (and given how slow the site is on updates, that's a genuine possibility), this is going to be a disaster for smaller fandoms.

What's interesting is that I checked out Archive of Our Own, and as far as fic numbers go, the numbers can be very divergent. E.g., off the top of my head:

Golden Sun: >3000 (ff.net) vs. >300 (AO3)

StarCraft: >1800 (ff.net) vs. >200 (AO3)

Killjoys: >60 (ff.net) vs. >600 (A03)

Dragon Prince: >10 (ff.net) vs. >300 (AO3)

So, it appears ff.net tends to have a greater share of 'old school' fandoms, while AO3 is where people are writing for newer fandoms. Looking online, I've seen comments that people on AO3 tend to be younger.

Edit: Did some more searching, there's actually correlation as well. So, sometimes it's divergent, sometimes it isn't.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
An inaccurate metric, but approximate enough I suppose.

More accurately a metric of the popular franchise with the most shipping potential. Or at least characters that people desire to be shipped the most, aka characters that they themselves are attracted to.

I still write it myself from time to time, and never really got the prevailing desire to do that with every character pairing imaginable. If it fits the story sure, but there has to be a solid core of an idea to build it around to make it worthwhile.

I've started to wonder if maybe AO3 is more my jam.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
WhiteFangofWhoa said:
I still write it myself from time to time, and never really got the prevailing desire to do that with every character pairing imaginable.
Um, does anyone? Shippers usually favour certain pairings over other.

Speaking personally, I've never been that big on shipping. Of all the fics I've posted, only about 3% of them have a romance tag.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
No, who reads or writes fan fiction?🤷‍♂️

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
undeadsuitor said:
Who goes to fanfiction.net

Ao3 is where it's at
Are the fanfics there written competantly? I used to read alot of Danny Phantom crossovers with the DC Universe, especially Teen Titans.
Danny Phantom could actually be perfect for the DC universe. If Nickelodeon was smarter, it could have a good comic book series and live action movie.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Marik2 said:
Danny Phantom could actually be perfect for the DC universe. If Nickelodeon was smarter, it could have a good comic book series and live action movie.
A live-action film of one of Nick's properties?

I think this is one of those "be careful what you wish for" moments.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Marik2 said:
A live-action film of one of Nick's properties?

I think this is one of those "be careful what you wish for" moments.
In my headcannon Danny Phantom exists in the DC universe, is a member of the Teen Titans if not the leader or Co-leader with Robin, and I ship Danny Phantom with Raven.

Because Raven > Sam Manson.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Like everyone else said, it probably a poor metric. It can indicate something is popular, as there were fan writing and publishing their own Sherlock Holms stories at the time it was being written, but then you look at the Expanded universe of Star Wars and its almost entirly fan fiction when it comes down to it.

Other times its a temporary thing. You see an influx as something gets popular then the move on.

And then there are the neiches. ANime for a while was a neiche. Yeah, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Robotech, Pokemon, Digimon, Miozaki, Voltron may be household names state side, but it has ups and downs. Gundam Wing drove it for a while, and Naruto later, but up until the age of legal streaming most were not easily available enough to get. So while popular, and even good, its basicly left to the neiche market.

Add the neiches of said market, and it only gets worse. Rememer the Kiss in Naruto that launched a thousand X rated slash fan art between two twelve year old boys?

Yes its a billion dollar industry, but so is NASS Car and you don't see that having a race track everywhere.