Can you defend yourself?

Jun 16, 2010
Ryotknife said:
if im surrounded by 5 people? all bets are off. Ill be looking to use a sharp object on their jugular. Dont care if its 5 war orphans with no legs.

the best way out of the situation if you cant talk or run away is to escalate the conflict to the point where the 5 people dont want to attack you.
I knew a guy who avoided getting into a bar-fight by bashing his face into a wall until he bled. And his would-be assailants were too freaked out to continue antagonising him. At least, that's what he claimed, I wasn't there. But I've seen him drunk and I wouldn't doubt it happened.

In any case, I've always kind of admired that approach to conflict resolution. It's badass in a peaceful sort of way.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
Unarmed, outnumbered even 1 on 1 with someone the same build as me and I'd get creamed instantly.

Give me a 1.5 to 2 metre long stick however and I'm like Darth Fukking Maul. No training or anything, me and my friend spent about 3 years beating the shit out of eachother. He'd go for tool box lid and short stick and I'd go for a staff like stick. Practiced and practiced and now I can whirl the thing around fast and hard like a mother effer.

yeah I'd still struggle a bit against 3 people but with something like a staff I suddenly would be able to at least try.

Falthron

Jan 1, 2012
In most cases I would flee, probably can't take any people on in a fair fight, but if pressed and unable to flee while outnumbered I would do something that would make me look like I had gone insane, such as tackle myself into one of the assailants and attempt to tear out his throat with my teeth.... From there I would either run while they are still stunned or hope that they run away. If I'm still trapped I'm basically screwed.

Hopefully I can run away before that happen though.

amadhatter

Apr 15, 2010
Rule #1 - If you look like a mugger, you won't get mugged. It also helps if you're into Muay Thai and carry a butterfly knife.

Feb 24, 2011
i've actually only been in one fight, at school when i was a freshman at highschool some guy (probably 16-17) had been bullying me and i just punched him right in the dick and ye... he fell to the ground and that's probably what i would do in every situation, go for the dick then the face
but 5v1 i'd probably run and if they follow i'd try to get one from behind and then a second one by, you know. and then run again... that is saying that they don't kick my ass when i'm busy with the first one :/

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
5 guys? I would put all the fight that I could up, but my ass would be handed to me very swiftly.
1 guy? I don't know, depends on the guy.

Locque

Oct 8, 2008
I think it's completely hilarious how many people think they'd win a 2v1 against any kind of opponents. Unless you can put one of them away in pretty much one shot, and assuming they're average size (maybe a bit bigger or stronger, stands to reason if they're the aggressors), they'll just fuck you up. I know there are youtube clips out there of some occasional moment where an amateur boxer or someone will KO two guys, but those are so rare (and engage one at a time). Basically any number greater than 1vs1 is an absolute murder scenario vs all but the most prepared (depending on your opponents, natch).

TheTurtleMan

Mar 2, 2010
I've never been in a fight, thankfully, but in my head I could beat up anyone that wanted to throw down. In reality considering I have no martial arts training, there's no telling how I could do in a fight. I have a pretty high pain threshold and know how to throw a punch with proper technique. One on one would probably be pretty even matched with most guys my age, and I'm batshit crazy, so I'll fight to the death no problem.

However there's no way in hell I could stand up to 5 guys at once. No one can stand up to 5 guys at once. Of course by five guys I'm assuming they aren't physically or mentally impaired in any way, and that they have standard height and weight.

At a certain point your only options are to run or get the ever-living shit kicked out of you. This ain't a movie, they won't stand three feet away and take turns throwing punches. They would just bum rush you and proceed with the ass kicking.

TheTurtleMan

Mar 2, 2010
Laurents van Cauwenberghe said:
i've actually only been in one fight, at school when i was a freshman at highschool some guy (probably 16-17) had been bullying me and i just punched him right in the dick and ye... he fell to the ground and that's probably what i would do in every situation, go for the dick then the face/
Uhh, not to crap on your parade or anything but I wouldn't exactly call sucker punching a guy in the dick fighting. Don't get me wrong, that still sounds like a pretty legitimate fighting technique. You know, unless you're fighting a girl.

Because they don't have dicks.

Alexias_Sandar

Nov 8, 2010
Considering in real life I've had the misfortune of having to prove that I was able to handle 1 vs 3 unarmed vs armed with knives...though admittedly unarmed did not remain so long in that case... and unarmed vs unarmed 1 vs 10... perhaps. Honestly, it actually depends on the opponents. In the mentioned situations I was lucky in that while outnumbered...my assailants were fools, were not trained, and didn't know how to fight together...hindering eachother more than helping, and generally almost proving more asset to me than to eachother...as well as in both cases I was able to use terrain to limit how many could engage at once and to fight back directly. A forested setting can prove...useful, at times, even when there's no truly viable improvised weapons readilly at hand. Now, if I'd been against equally trained opponents who'd actually learned to fight together in similar situations? I'd have been screwed. Fortunately, gang banger thugs...tend to be rather low on the skill and training department. Against similar skilled opponents...I'm capable. I know a variety of weapons and am fairly solid in Judo and Wrestling, and have done solidly in self defense situations and spar on numerous occasions, including practicing against multiple opponents, and in strategies for fighting beside others. Am I a master of any such? No. If I have the misfortune of being assaulted by someone with greater skill and the will to follow through, enough to get past some of the advantages someone who actually NEEDS to win can pull off at times, even if technically outmatched... I'm in trouble. Multiple opponents with the right arms and training, or someone armed better and who knows how to use it, and isn't stupid...concerning. Honestly, it really depends on who and what I'm dealing with.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
It kind of depends on how fit they are. I knew a dude who was like a foot shorter than me and fifty pounds lighter, but he was a boxer who could bench my max as a warmup and I know he'd have kicked my ass in ten seconds flat. If we're talking strictly from a physical build, as in, he's that size but not because of any physical conditioning on his part, I could maybe take out one guy bigger than me, probably one guy equal to my size, two guys smaller than me, maybe three, and any more than that I'll probably bail if I can't immediately bring it to two (most people drop after a single punch to the nose, or so I'm told). But five guys? Unless we're talking burgers, I'm out.

Feb 24, 2011
TheTurtleMan said:
i've actually only been in one fight, at school when i was a freshman at highschool some guy (probably 16-17) had been bullying me and i just punched him right in the dick and ye... he fell to the ground and that's probably what i would do in every situation, go for the dick then the face/
Uhh, not to crap on your parade or anything but I wouldn't exactly call sucker punching a guy in the dick fighting. Don't get me wrong, that still sounds like a pretty legitimate fighting technique. You know, unless you're fighting a girl.

first of all i'm not proud of myself or anything and also i'm not saying that it was a fight, who cares if you play fair or not i don't want to get hurt :<

and i heard it still hurts if you hit a girl there

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Korolev said:
I'm only reasonably sure that I could defeat someone weaker than me or who was roughly at the same strength.

If surrounded by a large number of people, my only instinct is to flee. Do not fight multiple opponents at once - unless you are on a strong drug which makes you impervious to pain, YOU. WILL. LOSE. I have never seen or heard of a genuine fight in which 1 person managed to defeat more than 5 assailants that were of roughly the same size and strength. I know it looks really cool in the Matrix how Neo manages to defeat all those agents, or how so many martial arts films showcase an expert kicking the crap out of a room full of guys.... but that is why you only see that stuff on films. It's make believe. In reality, if you are faced with 4 or 5 opponents, who attack you all at once:

YOU.
ARE.
STUFFED.

Run from multiple opponents, or, failing that, go into the fetal position and do whatever you can to protect your brain.
Not entirely true. The assumption is that when you go against multiple people, they all come at you at once. Not always the case. A 5v1 is often four guys waiting for a shot, as opposed to some concerted rush'n'stamp.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Better to talk my way out of a problem than fight, walking away is also good. Some people are just looking for an excuse and I'm generally not interested in giving them one.

White Lightning said:
Yes. The answer to this (and most questions in life) is Guns.
Spoken like a Texan.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Define "win."

I could probably not outrun a guy. However, I could either hide in a crowd, bail into a store, or kick him in the balls and flee. That'd probably work, and I count that as a win. (Remember, kids, you win if you come out of the fight intact. This means you don't have to land a punch. At least, that's what my sensei says.)

As for an actual fight, where I have to put knuckles/palms/knees/whatever on skin? Yeah, I could definitely take one unarmed guy. But it's not going to be boxing/sparring style; it's going to be dirty fighting. Groin kicks, palms to the nose, knee to the face when they double over, broken elbows, all that. No mercy. Some drunk guy decides he's going to come get some, and my life might be in danger because there's no way I can get away and he's looking at me like I'm a steak? I hope he likes learning to use his limbs again.

Guy with a knife or a gun, at melee range? Hmmmmmmm. I like to think I can deal with it, but I am still very wary. You really have to *commit* when they have a weapon; that's the point at which you can't half-ass things even less than you already could. Someone punches you, they can knock you out, yes. Someone knifes you, you might die right there. Once that weapon is out, you're either gone, you're cooperating so the guy leaves with your wallet and not your life, or you're on that weapon arm like dots on dice. No middle ground, and once you choose to either fight or flee, you have to really do it.

Add a second guy and things get nasty. While we do train for multiple attackers, I'm not that badass yet, and besides, it's just never a good situation. There are some basic tactics like "don't let anyone get behind you" and "don't stop moving" and all that, but...really, you just don't want to mess with that. I am not confident I could take on a group, where a group is more than one.

TheTurtleMan

Mar 2, 2010
TheTurtleMan said:

first of all i'm not proud of myself or anything and also i'm not saying that it was a fight, who cares if you play fair or not i don't want to get hurt :<

and i heard it still hurts if you hit a girl there
i've actually only been in one fight
TheTurtleMan said:
crap on your parade