Can you play any videogame music?

Sep 13, 2009
Whenever I hear a song I like in a video game I always have the overwhelming desire to learn how to play it. More often than not this ends in me staring at sheet music that I realize I have no hope in hell of playing, but every now and then I get lucky and find something that's doable for my level and not absolutely basic.

I play the piano (pretty casually), and I can play:
Legend of Zelda - Lost woods
- Midna's lament
Final Fantasy X - To Zanarkand
Final Fantasy IX - Jesters of the Moon
Okami - Rising Sun (learning)
Phantasy Star Online - Can Still See the Light (learning)

One I haven't even taken a stab at yet, but would love to do is this: Confrontation with the Enemy from Xennoblade Chronicles. I fear it may be beyond me though

(None of those videos are me by the way, just the versions I've learned)

What video game songs are you able to play and on what instruments? If you have videos of yourself playing, even better!

Be warned, I may try to poach sheet music from you if I see something I like

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Yup, I've been playing piano for a fair amount of years myself. Here's a video of me playing Zohar's Corridors of Time arrangement... poorly... with a cheap camera and out-of-tune piano.

I'd have definitely gotten better at it if I kept at it, honestly watching this video inspires me to relearn it.

I also transcribe/arrange game music myself but I'm kinda lazy with it. I sometimes mess around with kazoos and have a few of those covers sitting in my HD, maybe I should make a youtube channel for them lol.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
I have an actual light-blue ocarina I bought in China and I can play all the OoT songs.

Because I am a geek.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I can play the engineers song from TF2 on guitar, as well as the Skyrim theme albeit pretty poorly.

Sep 13, 2009
Fishyash said:
Yup, I've been playing piano for a fair amount of years myself. Here's a video of me playing Zohar's Corridors of Time arrangement... poorly... with a cheap camera and out-of-tune piano.

I'd have definitely gotten better at it if I kept at it, honestly watching this video inspires me to relearn it.

I also transcribe/arrange game music myself but I'm kinda lazy with it. I sometimes mess around with kazoos and have a few of those covers sitting in my HD, maybe I should make a youtube channel for them lol.
That's actually not that bad at all. Far better than I could muster up with my cheap camera and out of tune piano

Shymer

Feb 23, 2011
My son (11) has decided, for his first piece of learned music on the piano, to play the Dragonborn theme from Skyrim. I purchased the sheet music for him and now, after a few weeks erratic practice, he can play it. He needs more time to get better, but it is recognisable and I could not be prouder.

arsenalabu

Iron Maiden's backup Trombonist
May 26, 2011
I can play "Dearly Beloved" from Kingdom Hearts on piano and the original Super Mario theme as a fingerstyle guitar arrangement. I found sheet music of "Positive Force" from VVVVVV a few years back, but it was in E flat minor, and had a crazyass rhythm that was way beyond my capabilities.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
The Almighty Aardvark said:
Fishyash said:

That's actually not that bad at all. Far better than I could muster up with my cheap camera and out of tune piano
Thanks for your kind words. I was going by my standards though, and despite how pleased I am being able to play it without sounding like a mess, it's still full of mistakes. However I'm now going to give this arrangement the treatment it deserves. I also have the means to record it much better now... sound-wise anyways.

I had a go at it today and it might not take me long to get to where I was before, and I remember most of the notes. I even managed to find the sheet music I printed out for this several years ago, conveniently in a slippery fish so it stays in good condition (if I could go back in time to thank myself for that, I would).

Toblo1

Jun 1, 2014
My sister is able to play "Still Alive" from Portal on piano , and I'm able to play the 8 melodies (Both versions from both Mother 1 and Mother 2/Earthbound) on ocarina.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Yup, Gangplank Galleon from Donkey Kong Country on the piano/keyboard. Mainly from memory because I can't read sheet music very well.

Don't ask me to play it though, I'll definitely screw up one of the notes somewhere. >_>

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
My brother can play numerous Final Fantasy songs on the piano (I feel the one that he does best is FFX's 'To Zanarkand') plus the theme to Mario Bros. and Pirates of the Carribean. I taught myself how to play various gaming songs on the saxophone a while back, but I'm out of practice.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
Oh yes, i play Touhou music on the Piano. People say it's difficult, but it just requires practice.

No i can't, but i wish i could. I'm sure i could convince my mother to with a nice enough sounding song, she plays her piano daily.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
Nuuu said:
Oh yes, i play Touhou music on the Piano. People say it's difficult, but it just requires practice.

No i can't, but i wish i could. I'm sure i could convince my mother to with a nice enough sounding song, she plays her piano daily.
You should try to play the music that can actually be played by humans.

I will sell my soul if I could play this.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Yeah nothing too fancy I'm afraid. I'm sure a few people can do a basic rendition of Skyrim dragonborne on guitar, there's amazing stuff out there obviously. I can play every Sonic Mayhem song from Quake 2 on guitar and drums, and a few of the songs from Skitchin' back in 16-bit Sega days. And quite a few of the battle songs from Painkiller.

Wish I could play a few songs from the Shinobi 3 and Mazinger Z soundtrack as well, loved those Japanese composures.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I used to be able to play the entire end theme of Final Fantasy VI on synthesizer. Also the end music of Link to the Past, and a couple of songs from Breath of Fire 2.

It's been a couple decades since my fingers have tickled the (plastic) ivories, though, so I doubt I'd be able to pull it off these days.

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
One time at a gig I played the Final Fantasy victory theme after a really hard song. One guy in the crowd lost his shit and ran up and high fived me. My other bandmates weren't that happy, but it was hella worth it.

Kontarek

Aug 1, 2012
Country
USA
Fishyash said:

I'd never heard this one before, but I have to say I LOVE the left-hand part of that piece. Awesome rhythm. I only started teaching myself piano around 2 years ago, but I completely empathize with the self-criticism as well. There's always those little lingering sections of a piece that I never feel like I can really nail as well as I'd like.

OP: Most of the piano pieces I know are actually from movies and shows, but I know a few from video games as well:

Shadow of the Colossus
-The Sunlit Earth*
-Memories
-Hope

Ocarina of Time
-Kakariko Village

Katawa Shoujo (if that counts)
-Wiosna (Title screen)
-Cloudland Swing (Rin Cinematic)
-Concord* (Lily's Theme... I think)

The two denoted with a star are the ones I would consider to be difficult; the others are all fairly simple (although I guess Kakariko Village walks the line a bit).

And now I really wish I had videos to back up what I am saying/show off mah mad skillz. I don't know. I keep telling myself I'm going to do more videos, but it's difficult for me to get my hands on a camera and I don't really like the way the speakers on my digital piano sound... so... yeah...

Heidious

Mar 24, 2013
I can play the acoustic version of Portal's "Still Alive". I can't sing the lyrics though. I...I can't sing at all.