Can you Play Musical instruments ?

Zemaddog

Nov 20, 2013
I play electric guitar and the electric organ. The electric organ is a pretty awesome instrument in that it basically turns me into a one man band, with melody, rhythm, bass and drums.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
define play...
to the untrained ear i'm getting pretty impressive with the violin, it's only when you understand the instrument and can read music you see the obvious flaws in my timing and intonation.
i also dabble in the ocarina which pretty much blows everyone's mind cause unless you are a zelda fan wtf is an ocarina.

kirt93

Oct 29, 2014
I have been playing guitar for around 6 years. I prefer electric but, i like to have a dabble on the acoustic from time to time.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
I play electric, acoustic and bass guitar. Pretty good at it too if I do say so myself. I think I've mentioned that before.
Cough [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Guitarists-Of-The-Escapist]

But I've also played Baritone horn, trombone, piano and the Cajon. Not so good with those.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
13 years of classical piano lessons and then 2 of jazz
2 years of clarinet lessons
6 years of cello (so far) with 4 being formal
2 and a half years of self taught guitar (metal and jazz fusion mostly)
Reasonably competent at drums

And I can growl like a ************ which is great for the extreme metal that I play. Does that count?

Because I've been playing music since I was 5, I'm learning about music production (mixing, mastering, recording, etc.) and I'd like to code my own DAW plugins once I graduate from my CS program. Music is almost literally my life.

Caostotale

Mar 15, 2010
Not The Bees said:
Clarinet! Aaaaaaaaand, wait for it... BASS clarinet! Because I am in the cool kids club of instruments. No, don't everyone get up at once and ask for my autograph, just form a neat que and I'll get to everyone as quickly as I can. And I will sign breasts if that is wanted. I have no qualms.
As a long-time fan of both chamber music and modern jazz, I can't get enough of the bass clarinet. The instrument is just versatile as hell and, through its sound, really underscores the 'wood' and 'wind' of its instrumental family's namesake.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I'm best on drums, with my second forte being as a classical bassist. I also dabble a bit with the electric bass, guitar, piano, and singing. I'm also a really good whistler.

Too bad I have no one to play music with and I'm shy. :p

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Parents forced me to play the double bass for three years - haven't touched one since I quit eleven years ago. As a teenager I took piano lessons for a year (voluntarily this time), but it didn't really stick with me. Interest and motivation for almost anything music related has since faded. If I think about it now I doubt I'll ever pick up any instrument again. Except maybe steel drums. Those things are kinda cool.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Nope.

I did grow up with a keyboard that got a lot of use but I never tried to truly learn it. While I could play a few simple songs on the thing I wouldn't recall how to do any of that today.

I can also gold star something like 75% of the rock band songs on expert drums (with cymbals) as well. Which I consider an accomplishment but in no way translates to musical ability or knowledge on how to play the drums for real.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
babinro said:
I can also gold star something like 75% of the rock band songs on expert drums (with cymbals) as well. Which I consider an accomplishment but in no way translates to musical ability or knowledge on how to play the drums for real.
To be fair, it does a little bit, since it teaches you, at least partly, on limb separation/independence, which is pretty important when drumming.

Other than that though, you're pretty much right.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
I play guitar and electric bass adequately and sing exceptionally. Sounds like a brag, isn't. You can't brag on something you didn't earn. Also, I'm trying to learn piano, it's soooooo different from stringed instruments. I think chords out visually and they look so much weirder on the keyboard than they do on the fretboard. At least, they do to me, starting from guitar. My mom started from piano and says the same thing about chords on guitar.

Musette

Pacifist Percussionist
Apr 19, 2010
I'm actually a music student, so I suppose since I can't sing my way out of a paper bag that I play an instrument or two.

My first instrument was clarinet, but now, I'm a percussionist, though that's a pretty general term I suppose. My specialty is mallet percussion, especially marimba and vibraphone, (mallet percussion also includes xylophone and glockenspiel,) but I still have to be competent on the other instruments. I have formal training in snare drum, timpani, some world percussion, and plenty of those 'auxiliary' instruments (such as cymbals, bass drum, and tambourine) that people underestimate/dismiss like it's nobody's business even though I've heard enough stories of people failing professional orchestral auditions solely because of said 'auxiliary' instruments. (Oh, what's that? You say that you'd be a mean triangle player. Hilarious.) I'm also a master at avoiding learning to play drumset because drumset scares me way more than it should.

Most of my world music exploration has been fairly informal in training, and most of the world instruments I've played have been with Brazilian groups. If I wanted to list a few, there's the berimbau (which is actually the subject of an independent study I'm working on right now), pandeiro, surdo, zabumba, tamborim, cuica, reco-reco, alfaia drums, and agogo, among others that I'm forgetting.

Other than that, I used to play Guatemalan marimba, have a very basic knowledge of bongos, congas, djembes, and cello steel pan, plus I'm currently teaching myself how to play the Bodhran.

I still have a ton of other instruments I want to explore as well, but with the exception of the ocarina that was recently given to me, I pretty much just want to learn to play percussion from all over the world.

TheYellowCellPhone said:
Makes me sad all these people here who haven't played instruments outside of guitar, bass guitar and percussion. There's so much cooler instruments to learn and listen to than the same three.
When you say percussion in this context, are you mostly just referring to drumset, the typical concert percussion instruments, or all percussion instruments in existence? My (very biased) opinion on how interesting percussion is might lead to me humbly disagreeing if you're just generalizing all of percussion. (Especially because people almost never know what I'm talking about when I talk about marimba, and random strangers seem almost disappointed when I call myself a percussionist, but don't really play drumset. In fact, before I really went full-on percussionist, I called myself a marimbist because it was more accurate.)

Maybe it's my "I almost got an ethnomusicology degree by complete accident" side of me speaking, but a major reason why I'm a percussionist is because of the sheer variety of instruments I get to explore, not to mention the added bonus of gaining a little insight into other cultures through what they value in their music.

Musette

Pacifist Percussionist
Apr 19, 2010
Not The Bees said:
Clarinet! Aaaaaaaaand, wait for it... BASS clarinet! Because I am in the cool kids club of instruments. No, don't everyone get up at once and ask for my autograph, just form a neat que and I'll get to everyone as quickly as I can. And I will sign breasts if that is wanted. I have no qualms.
I remember when I originally auditioned into my university's school of music, and I mentioned that I was a clarinetist-turned-percussionist, and the panel looked at me, and one of them said "and I see that you made the right decision!"

Still, even though clarinet wasn't for me, I'd be a damn liar if I claimed that I didn't love its sound!

A running joke going around is that I'm a "convert" who saw the light, which is especially fitting because of my near religious fanaticism for percussion.

On that note: excuse me ma'am, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior Percussion?

(Captcha: the bee's knees
No, not the bee's knees!)

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Nothing. I'm completely tone-deaf. Ironic, considering other people have a tendency to comment on me having good hearing when I hear something quiet or too high in frequency for them to hear.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
Started playing Alto Saxophone in 2002 and I've kept it up thanks to marching band in high school and college, as well as playing it in a band with my friends to this day. I also played Bari Sax in my high school's jazz band, but it's been a couple of years since I've played one since I can't afford my own. Still, playing the alto sax for gigs in New Orleans every now and then makes me feel so alive. Wish I had a bari though. One day.

Mimic

Jul 22, 2014
I've been playing guitars (acoustic and electric) since I was 6 (I'm 28 now) I wouldn't say I'm good as I as a pasttime rather than to become really proficcient guiatarist. I'd like to have a go at a piano/keyboard or the drums. I tried them a couple of times in the past and found them fun and could get a tune and beat out of them.

Mullac

Oct 6, 2012
I've been playing guitar for about 7 years, started on electric but have since bought an acoustic. About two years ago I discovered the joy and amazement that is Jazz. I had never really tried playing it or even properly listened to it, but now I love it - although I still rarely listen to 'plain' jazz, I like jazz rock a lot.