Can you recommend an anime for a non-anime lover?

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
madwarper said:
Well, the obvious thing to do is for you to say what about previous anime you've seen that you didn't like to make you think it was all horrible...
Those horrible, plotless anime aimed at teenage girls. The twilight-y ones. Ecch.

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
MysticSlayer said:
Poppy JR. said:
Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation for a good anime? It doesn't necessarily have to be a certain genre. Thanks!
I know you don't really care about genre, but do you care if it is a movie or a TV show? If not, is there any TV show length that is "too long"?
I wouldn't mind suggestions for either, but I've been putting the focus more on movies than the TV.

Alterego-X said:
I guess I need some more details on exactly WHAT you were wary of in anime. Like, are you actually familiar with the typical genres, art styles, or tropes, and actively hate them, or just assumed to hate them but would be interested in seeing them now after all?
I'd seen a couple of the really poorly written teenage-girl oriented shows. Not my cup of tea, but that kinda put me off anime for a while. Now I'm looking for legitimately good ones, my opinion of the medium[footnote] Thanks knight Captain Kerr [/footnote] has changed immensely.

So, last night I watched Grave of the Fireflies, fell into a funk, and followed it up with Spirited Away.

Seriously impressed by GOTF, especially after I found out it was based on an autobiography. Refreshing to see a WWII movie about the Japanese[footnote] I don't watch many war movies [/footnote]. Spirited Away was seriously trippy. Enjoyable, but oh-so weird.

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
FPLOON said:
And, finally, Afro Samurai... mostly on the grounds of Samuel L. Jackson as the lead voice actor in the entire series... (and that's underselling it in my book...)
Sam Jack did the protagonist? I'm there.

YOLANDA! YOLANDA! PUT THE GUN DOWN!

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
The works of Rumiko Takahashi. I highly recommend Ranma1/2 and Urusei Yatsura. Inuyasha...well, if you're not a fan of anime, it's probably not for you. As the show can be summarized with "Normal girl travels through time, frees ancient hakf-demon, gains some measure of control over said half-demon, half-demon fights and angsts over normal girl's past life, repeat forever."

If action and comedy aren't your thing, I'd recommend something like Death Note.

Hell, for a good idea of most anime is, just watch something like Bleach.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Poppy JR. said:
I wouldn't mind suggestions for either, but I've been putting the focus more on movies than the TV.
Well, that's puting you in a strange position, because the anime fandom itself has been largely focused around TV shows, especially the 12-24 episode long ones.

(Like others have said, the ones that are made with over a hundred episodes and no end in sight, are usually the crappy teenage boy-ish ones.)

So on one hand, the movies that you see recommended often must be particularly good if the fandom bothered to notice them, on the other hand, there aren't that many of them.

Poppy JR. said:
I'd seen a couple of the really poorly written teenage-girl oriented shows. Not my cup of tea, but that kinda put me off anime for a while. Now I'm looking for legitimately good ones
Actually teenage girl oriented ones? Shoujo? Girl POV protagonist falls in love with rape-y androgynous boy? Bubbles and flower petals as a background for romantic scenes?

Because there are also plenty of ones that could be mistaken for that by the casual western observer, but have a somehow different tone. For example Clannad, or 5 Centimeters Per Second, are melodramatic romance stories, but totally made for adult dudes, or Azumanga Daioh is a slice of life comedy about schoolgirls that gratuitously uses the color pink, and is aimed at the young adult male audience.

Anyways, were are a more random "traditionally good" series that I haven't seen mentioned:

- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (modern horror, with elements of intentionally clashing cutesy whackiness))

- Suzumiya Haruhi (high school comedy with a sci-fi plot)

- Shinsekai yori (Fantasy horror/adventure).

- Legend of the Galactic Heroes (Space Opera with war and politics, Tolstoy meets Asimov)

- FLCL - (Surreal, whacky, kickass BGM)

And some more with an artsy "Not yo' ordinary entrtainment anime" appeal:

- Monster (Thriller)

- Serial Experiments Lain (cyberpunk mindfuckery)

- Usagi Drop (whimsical slice of life, single dude raises little girl)

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
Alterego-X said:
Poppy JR. said:
Poppy JR. said:
I'd seen a couple of the really poorly written teenage-girl oriented shows. Not my cup of tea, but that kinda put me off anime for a while. Now I'm looking for legitimately good ones
Actually teenage girl oriented ones? Shoujo? Girl POV protagonist falls in love with rape-y androgynous boy? Bubbles and flower petals as a background for romantic scenes?

Because there are also plenty of ones that could be mistaken for that by the casual western observer, but have a somehow different tone. For example Clannad, or 5 Centimeters Per Second, are melodramatic romance stories, but totally made for adult dudes, or Azumanga Daioh is a slice of life comedy about schoolgirls that gratuitously uses the color pink, and is aimed at the young adult male audience.
I couldn't really tell you, to be honest. I could be totally mistaken, but they seemed to be girl-oriented. You know, the kind where the girl is awkward and shy and meets the new guy and there's all the awkward stuff goin' on. I dunno.

York_Beckett

Sep 23, 2010
I'll throw in a couple:

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade: deeply tragic, but beautiful in it's execution. It has a solid set-up and a tight atmosphere and excellent characters. I can't say much about the plot without spoiling it, but it's basically an "alternate timeline"-type film, with heavy focus on the characters and their struggles.

Mushishi: A very atmospheric, relaxing and itriguing show that tries to "explain the unexplainable", set against the backdrop of beautiful nature and villages in feudal Japan, with a fantastic soundtrack added to the mix. It lacks any real "action" (at least not in the conventional sense), and some may not like it, but it's extremely well-written and has some oddly thought-provoking tales to tell. The show has no overarching story, but instead follows a new story with each episode, while sticking to the central theme. While it's not for everyone, I adore it.

Angel's Egg: It's... different. I can't really think of a way to "sell" this movie; it has little spoken dialogue, a somewhat incomprehensible plot (if any plot at all), and is very slow-paced. It's kind of an artsy "experience" film, but I can't say I've ever seen anything quite like it, and it was pretty ambitious for the time.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Poppy JR. said:
I couldn't really tell you, to be honest. I could be totally mistaken, but they seemed to be girl-oriented. You know, the kind where the girl is awkward and shy and meets the new guy and there's all the awkward stuff goin' on. I dunno.
Ok, if you are generally weirded out by that as a theme, then you can probably skip all the high school-based recommendations.

Personally I think that as an aquired taste, many japanese style slice-of-life and romance themes can have their rather unique appeal for a male viewer, separately from the actually Twilight-ish "sparky dudes in heat" style of shoujo, and since you already loved Ghibli movies and GOTF, I guessed that you would be more interested in melodrama than in the totally-not-a-childish-cartoon macho violence that most of the other recommendations seemed to be angling for.

gagagaga

Aug 17, 2013
Well, I'd recommend Madoka Magica, because I always do in anime threads. It's true that it uses lots of anime tropes for deconstruction, but it's also a really good, tightly written story, and I've seen people who were baffled by anime like this show. Just make sure to stick past the first three episodes.

Shin Sekai Yori/From The New World is another good one that I see occasionally on these threads, but not often enough. It's based off a Japanese novel, and it's about a future "utopian" society of psychics.

FLCL/Fooly Cooly is great. It's a comedy about a kid who gets hit in the face with a guitar and has giant robots come out of his head. Six episodes too, so it's short and sweet.

Death Note seems to be pretty accessible for non-anime fans.

Princess Mononoke is probably the best Ghibli movie, in my opinion. It's quite similar to Nausicaa, so I'm sure you'll like it.

As someone above me pointed out though, if you just limit yourself to movies you'll miss out on a lot of good stuff.

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
Alterego-X said:
Poppy JR. said:
Ok, if you are generally weirded out by that as a theme, then you can probably skip all the high school-based recommendations.

Personally I think that as an aquired taste, many japanese style slice-of-life and romance themes can have their rather unique appeal for a male viewer, separately from the actually Twilight-ish "sparky dudes in heat" style of shoujo, and since you already loved Ghibli movies and GOTF, I guessed that you would be more interested in melodrama than in the totally-not-a-childish-cartoon macho violence that most of the other recommendations seemed to be angling for.
I'm fine with a little bit of everything, but I generally prefer well-written dialog or interesting ideas. I don't want to limit myself with just melodrama or just action, but characterization and writing tend to be the clinchers for me. I love a good soundtrack, too (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time had a great one). If the totally-not-childish cartoon thingamabob is done in a way that's at the very least interesting, either with writing or visual spectacle, I'd totally go for it.

*EDIT* I should clarify. the awkward girl meets guy thing yadayada I mentioned isn't the real problem, in itself. it's the fact that the examples I'd seen were horribly written and groan inducingly acted. I have nothin' against a little bit of romance in my movies.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Poppy JR. said:
So far I've seen Akira, Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind, and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I liked the first two, but I absolutely loved TGWLTT. The characterization was excellent and the story was much more mature than I thought it would be.
Start with Mamoru Hosoda's other two movies, Summer Wars and Wolf Children. In my opinion, they're even better than The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and that's a damn good movie. He's quickly become one of my favourite directors across the board, not just in anime, and for good reason. I love the art style of his movies, the characterization, the stories and the message behind them.

For actual series, I'd suggest these ones
- Neon Genesis Evangelion movies: I only suggest these because you liked Akira. It's a great movie, but NGE can get a little ham fisted and masturbatory at times. Good series, but a little overrated in my eyes
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: great story of two brothers trying to regain their original bodies after they try to resurrect their mother. Watch this one of the Mamoru Hosoda movies because it's a fantastic gateway to serialized series and it's what got me into anime shows (sort of) because of the action and the incredible characters
- Silver Spoon: by the same mangaka (author/artist) as FMA. This one is a slice-of-life that takes place on an agricultural highschool with funny moments, great characters and you'll probably learn something about farming!
- Baccano!: I like to call it the anime world's equivalent of Tarantino movies. It's batshit insane but funny and full of great plot twists
- Attack on Titan: it's bleak, depressing and goddamn is it well made. You genuinely feel bad for all the characters and you quickly get attached to them (something I recommend not doing). Go in with the mindset of Game of Thrones, knowing that any character can die.

Have fun!

SteveTR

May 4, 2012
Yu Yu Hakusho is a really good one. However, it is also really long, so that's probably not what you're looking for.

Multi-Hobbyist

Oct 26, 2009
I hate anime, and yet I find myself liking more series than I should. In no particular order -

Attack on Titan
Hellsing Ultimate
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
*Dragonball Z
*Bleach
Digimon
Zoids
Yu Yu Hakusho
Big O
Outlaw Star
Fighting Spirit

.....And that's all I care to drum up off my head. Note however, that usually I need extra "motivation" to watch anime in the first place. By that I mean, usually I need to smoke some of The Pot to be able to actually stand some of the shows. Ones that come to mind are Fighting Spirit, Outlaw Star, and Trigun. The rest I was able to watch clear minded and still at least "like" it by the end. Captcha - u jelly? Of what? Captchas? Just fucking die off already captcha.
* = Recommended you skip most filler.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Steamboy
From the same guy who made Akira, but completely different. This is the mother of all steampunk films. The plot is fun enough, though it won't really blow your mind. The animation, on the other hand, is downright superb! Personally - and I know many will disagree - I liked this better than Akira. Sure, it's not as "original", but at least the plot isn't a convoluted mess.

Redline
I still don't know what to think about the story... On one hand, it's your run of the mill racing movie where the underdog enters a race way out of his league and *gasp* he wins! On the other hand, it's seems to take so much glee in running down the checklist with cliches - and then going balls to the wall crazy in the third act - that you can't help but love it. But even then, who cares about the story?! Redline is one of those films you will see for one thing and one thing only: the adrenaline fueled animation. I still get goosebumps every time I watch the final race.

Porco Rosso
I'd recommend most of the Ghibli repertoire, but this is probably my favorite one. It's got atmosphere, humor, drama and it's one of those films that actually takes its time to flesh out the characters and the setting.

Metropolis
No, not the Fritz Lang version. I'm talking about the animated film Metropolis, which is based on a '50s manga, which was based on the '20s Fritz Lang film... Oops. Joking aside, this film probably has one of the best music-driven climaxes in any movie ever. I personally dislike the art style used for the characters, but I can't fault the animation itself or the beautiful backdrops. A very well done sci-fi animated film.

FLCL
The only anime series on the list. There are quite a few reasons why I like this one. First of all, it's short: six episodes, nothing more, it knows exactly when to stop so you leave the series wanting more. Secondly, it has everything: drama, comedy, action, romance, a good soundtrack and enjoyable animation. Thirdly, it is as energetic as it is dynamic: switching between styles, adding totally surreal story elements and using a blue vintage Rickenbacker 4001 left-handed electric bass guitar as a weapon of mass destruction! Seriously, as someone who doesn't like anime series, I recommend you check this one out.

Tekkonkinkreet
Gotta be honest, when I first saw the cover of this, I hated the art style. I still do, but now I also respect it. You see, even though I do not like the style they used, the way it is animated, is fantastic. Combine that with a genuinely interesting story, beautifully crafted backgrounds and one of the most emotionally draining "mob hit"-scenes ever - and you have yourself a classic. So, what I'm saying, if you see this one in stores, don't be put off by the cover.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Poppy JR. said:
Here's some backstory: last week, I made a claim that anime was horrible, which I immediately regretted. I know that generalizing a genre like that is shorts sited and wrong, so I decided to create "Give anime a chance week 2014"! I immediately got to work, watching a movie whenever I could. I've now seen three anime, and I'd like to continue. So far I've seen Akira, Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind, and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I liked the first two, but I absolutely loved TGWLTT. The characterization was excellent and the story was much more mature than I thought it would be.

Anyway, does anyone have a recommendation for a good anime? It doesn't necessarily have to be a certain genre. Thanks!
I was the same as you, and then I tried Fullmetal Alchemist. So very good. And that's the only anime I watch because time. I watched the original series, and now I'm halfway through on the Brotherhood "remake". Brotherhood is faster-paced, but loses some of the character development that the original did so well. I don't really want to spoil anything, but the first 7 episodes of the original Fullmetal Alchemist series is worth the watch just to see what happens in episodes 6 and 7.

They're both on Netflix if you have that.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Check out Break Blade(aka Broken Blade)

It is a 6 episode ova that has a fairly interesting world with heavy mechs and it has a great soundtrack and animation

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
A recent review helped me realize just how much of a tribute to western culture Cowboy Bebop is. Considering that culture shock is usually a thing that drives away non-fans, I'd recommend Cowboy Bebop. I think it's know for being the anime that got lots of people into anime.